Liberty or Freedom So. Carib...is DR worth it?

tocruzagain

Hi Everyone!!

I need to book our family's vacation today (nothing like the last minute) and need some fast input, please! First of all, I have NEVER booked any of our cruises the week we were looking to depart...this is crazy! We are looking at both the Liberty out of Port Canaveral, which is closer to us being a 6-6.5hr drive, going to Grand Turk, Aruba, and Curacao OR the Freedom out of Ft. Lauderdale (a 9.5hr drive) going to Grand Turk, Aruba, Curacao, and La Romana DR. We have been on the Liberty before and loved it. I am excited that it's now porting in Port Canaveral vs Miami and it's actually $50 less than the Freedom, but never having been to these southern Caribbean ports before is Dominican Republic worth the extra drive time and money. We will be traveling with our two kids (12.5yrs and 5.5yrs) if that makes a difference. Thanks for any input you can give!!!

You have to decide if the extra travel time is worth the extra port - I love both ships - that class of ship is my favorite. They both have the 2.0 upgrades so that's not a consideration.

If you do choose to go the DR, though, be sure to book an excursion through Carnival. Traveling on your own is not recommended. I did a beach excursion last year (sorry forgot which one) but it was great! They take you to a hotel resort and you have full use of the beach and get to eat at the buffet which had great food.

We booked a day pass at an all-inclusive when we went to La Romana. Had a blast, but don't suppose it was any different than one you could book in any port. Sunshine, swim-up bar, and good bartenders is really all you need. I didn't find anything particularly special about it being in DR, though. I'd probably opt for the shorter drive and extra sea day.

Personally, DR has some of my favorite ports (La Romana and Samana).

We took the Freedom last year on this itinerery and LOVED it. I much prefer port days over sea days, and so I think I would drive the extra 3 hours to go to DR - especially if you take the Saona Island excursion. This is one of my all time favorite excursions. My kids 11 & 12 loved it too, especially the snorkeling from the island and the star fish/sand bar stop. I give a very detailed picture reiviww of this excursion beginning on page 2, post #23:

Carnival Freedom to Grand Turk, La Romana, Curacao, and Aruba: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1781515

DSC_8169_zpsdfd717a1.jpg

IMG_5540_zpse6c0e3b9.jpg

P1070771_zps811f0a60.jpg

P1070823_zps92022a7e.jpg

We took the Freedom last year on this itinerery and LOVED it. I much prefer port days over sea days, and so I think I would drive the extra 3 hours to go to DR - especially if you take the Saona Island excursion. This is one of my all time favorite excursions. My kids 11 & 12 loved it too, especially the snorkeling from the island and the star fish/sand bar stop. I give a very detailed picture reiviww of this excursion beginning on page 2, post #23:

Carnival Freedom to Grand Turk, La Romana, Curacao, and Aruba: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1781515

DSC_8169_zpsdfd717a1.jpg

IMG_5540_zpse6c0e3b9.jpg

P1070771_zps811f0a60.jpg

P1070823_zps92022a7e.jpg

Thanks so much for the pictures. That may have just swayed our decision...ugh decisions decisions!! Hahah

Only you can decide if it's worth it to drive an extra 3 hours just to go to La Romana, but hopefully my experience can make your decision a bit easier. :) When we cruised for our honeymoon, our itinerary was altered and we ended docked there for 2 full nights. :eek:

Our initial reaction was, "Oh no, what are we going to do there for that much time??" Well, the itinerary change turned out to be a blessing in disguise because we had the opportunity to really explore the area.

- We visited the artist village of Altos de Chavon. Beautiful setting, with wonderful views, as well as many shops with arts and crafts by local artists.

- We went horseback riding in the Casa de Campo resort area. Very laid back experience, with great views of the ocean and countryside, as well as a glimpse of the houses of the rich and famous.

- We took a day trip to nearby Catalina Island. Awesome beach day, similar to going to Half Moon Cay or any other private island.

- We walked around downtown La Romana and shopped around for souvenirs and local crafts. Keep in mind that Downtown is not the prettiest or most touristy place, but the prices are considerably cheaper than at more tourist-oriented areas, plus you can find some true gems. I purchased a hand crafted nativity set for my mother for $20, which in the US would've probably cost $300-$400 dollars (I checked :o).

Dominicans are some of the friendliest people you'll ever meet, but be aware that they will mob you as soon as you walk off the ship, offering souvenirs, tours, and other services, and some will be begging for money. It's a drastic contrast with the rosy, picture-perfect (and fake) image portrayed when you get off the ship at more developed ports of call, but it's a reminder of what the reality is at most of these places. Nonetheless, don't let that be a reason not to visit and to mingle with the locals. For us, it was a memorable experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

mpcarth, I am assuming that you booked this tour on your own and do you have a website that I could look at and book? The only thing that concerns me about DR is that most of the reviews say no one speaks English there if you need a taxi.

Either cruise will be great, but having just returned from a "Liberty" cruise, I'd do that ship again in a heartbeat. GREAT cruise, excellent ports, fantastic entertainment aboard ship, and 3 1/2 hours less windshield time. DECISION MADE for me. :D

"SKY"

We booked this excursion through Seavis Tours. Google "seavis saona special". There were more the 40 other Carnival passengers. The tour provided us with taxi service (group vans). The driver held up signs and met us at the port area. Great English. My review linked above will have more details. Again, we really loved this excursion!!!

Sent from my LGL86C using Tapatalk

DSC_8169_zpsdfd717a1.jpg

IMG_5540_zpse6c0e3b9.jpg

P1070771_zps811f0a60.jpg

P1070823_zps92022a7e.jpg

AGREE 100 % ! Dominican Republic is by far our favorite port!!! Our group of 13 also did the Seavis Tour!! LOVED it so much!!

Edited by momof4boys

I definitely would do the DR stop, but than again the Liberty is 2.0.

I sailed this itinerary on the Miracle and in the DR we did the ship excursion to Santo Domingo. It was really fun, but I do like port days over sea days because I like seeing different places.

But if this were me, I would do the Liberty, cuz I have been to the DR and like the Blue iguana breakfast burritos. But good luck and happy cruising! :)

I sailed this itinerary on the Miracle and in the DR we did the ship excursion to Santo Domingo. It was really fun, but I do like port days over sea days because I like seeing different places.

But if this were me, I would do the Liberty, cuz I have been to the DR and like the Blue iguana breakfast burritos. But good luck and happy cruising! :)

Freedom is 2.0 now, as well.:confused:

We did the itinerary with DR on the Valor a few years ago and think the cruise suffered for going to DR.

In order to get there we had to leave GT at 1 pm. Than because of the time we left DR we got to Curacao at 2 and with it getting dark at 5 diidnt have a lot of dayight to see the island. Made worse as a major storm came by just as we were getting off the ship. Went to artist colony in DR which was just ok.

We happen to be going to Aruba, Curacao and GT Friday on Liberty. We get full days at each port and to me that makes the itinerary that much better.

Actually, only the food venues aboard "Liberty" are 2.0. Everything else ie: entertainment and shows, are pre 2.0, which makes 'em MUCH MUCH BETTER! Yep, the best of both worlds aboard "Liberty". ;)

"SKY"

I've done both ships with all the upgrades, and based on ship alone, I would do the Freedom. I LOVED the Liberty when we did it last year, so expectations were super high for the Freedom. They knocked it out of the park. I would still board either right this minute, but the Freedom got a couple of extra things that the Liberty didn't, and we enjoyed the staff more on the Freedom. Don't get me wrong, both were GREAT cruises. Just the Freedom will now hold a special place as my favorite cruise.

As far as DR, have a plan. It's a BEAUTIFUL country, but don't plan on venturing out on your own. We did the Carnival planned excursion at Altos de Chavon and thoroughly enjoyed it. I wanted to go through the ship our first time to get a feel for the port. When we go back (and this itinerary is one I WILL repeat), I will look at Seavis tours for Sanoa island. :)

Actually, only the food venues aboard "Liberty" are 2.0. Everything else ie: entertainment and shows, are pre 2.0, which makes 'em MUCH MUCH BETTER! Yep, the best of both worlds aboard "Liberty". ;)

"SKY"

And that is precisely why we are going on the Liberty this friday. Doing our best to avoid playlist and hasbro.

Thanks for all of the wonderful input. It was a tough choice because we all loved the Liberty when we were her two years ago, and we love leaving out of Port Canaveral because it's an easy process there. But, in the end we figured that if we are going to do new ports, and this is the only route that seems to do DR, then we may as well bite the bullet and knock them all out. I have also filled out the reservation form on Seavis's website. Now, I am waiting to get a reply back from them to see if we are in or if they're already booked full. When I read their description of the tour it definitely sounded like we would be getting our own taxi using their directions and code words to get there. Now to figure out what we can do in Curaçao...maybe just wander around the town.

Thanks for all of the wonderful input. It was a tough choice because we all loved the Liberty when we were her two years ago, and we love leaving out of Port Canaveral because it's an easy process there. But, in the end we figured that if we are going to do new ports, and this is the only route that seems to do DR, then we may as well bite the bullet and knock them all out. I have also filled out the reservation form on Seavis's website. Now, I am waiting to get a reply back from them to see if we are in or if they're already booked full. When I read their description of the tour it definitely sounded like we would be getting our own taxi using their directions and code words to get there. Now to figure out what we can do in Curaçao...maybe just wander around the town.

You will get confirmation back pretty quickly from Seavis....we thought we'd be taking a taxi too, but they made clear on the confirmation that they'd be taking care of the transportation

Be sure to go to the Curacao board.

We took the CCL excursion to this beach area and it was ok. The biggest problem was that we didn't get to the port until 2 so we didn't get to the beach until 3 ish and trying to find a place to sit or lay was tough. Also.....just like in Aruba...the water is much cooler than in most Caribbean islands.

However, when we returned at 6:30 we were able to walk around the fort. We ate at the Anchor Waterfront Bar and Grill on the top level of the Fort (just to the right of the ship) What a wonderful place. The food and drinks were fabulous and you can watch the ships come into the town. The owner is friendly and loves talking about Curacao and its history. They you can walk across the bridge (Queen Emma which is a very old pontoon bridge) and see the beautiful shops and restaurants with their lights on.

Have a wonderful time!!

Edited by momof4boys

We were in Curacao from 2:00 to 10:00 and took a taxi as soon as we docked to Porto Marie. It was a nice beach with snorkeingl near the shore. My kids enjoyed playing with the little sand crabs there too. We watched the sunset from the beach and then headed back to town. It was a very calm and enjoyable walk across the Queen's bridge to Williemstad at night.

Porto Marie:

IMG_5604_zpsf8f0e0a6.jpg

Playing with the sand crabs at Porto Marie:

IMG_5647_zps2dde2a9b.jpg

IMG_5661_zpseb7be122.jpg

Sunset at Porto Marie:

IMG_5663_zpsd0675e77.jpg

Willemstad at night:

IMG_5692_zpsbf3b9f54.jpg

Thanks for all of your input and information. Your pictures are WONDERFUL!! If you ever decide to plan a Disney trip let me know. I'm a Disney vacation planner and will return the favor and help you out with need to know info! Haha

We were in Curacao from 2:00 to 10:00 and took a taxi as soon as we docked to Porto Marie. It was a nice beach with snorkeingl near the shore. My kids enjoyed playing with the little sand crabs there too. We watched the sunset from the beach and then headed back to town. It was a very calm and enjoyable walk across the Queen's bridge to Williemstad at night.

Porto Marie:

IMG_5604_zpsf8f0e0a6.jpg

Playing with the sand crabs at Porto Marie:

IMG_5647_zps2dde2a9b.jpg

IMG_5661_zpseb7be122.jpg

Sunset at Porto Marie:

IMG_5663_zpsd0675e77.jpg

Willemstad at night:

IMG_5692_zpsbf3b9f54.jpg

Will web doing Freedom in Oct, would like to do the Saona Seavis tour but I see that is advertised as an 8 hour tour and we are only in port from 9 to 4. Just don't want to miss the boat.I am sure they are well aware of when folks have to be back

We did the Aruba, Curacao, Grand Turk and Dominican Republic itinerary on the Breeze earlier this year (chose it only for the itinerary). Dominican Republic and Aruba were the highlights of the trip. We plan to fly back to the DR for a week we liked it so much. I would go with the Freedom if ship choice was the #1 thing. We had a great cruise on her in 2012.