Loyal Carnival Cruiser heading for Royal treatment

ILCruzr

I did the unthinkable yesterday. After cruising with Carnival for the past 8 years, I have decided my next cruise after the Valor will be on Royal Caribbean. As much as I love Carnival and enjoy my cruises on them, I am kind of disgusted at how little perks they give loyal customers like myself. Royal Caribbean gives great perks to past guests including a nice discount on future cruises. That would be nice if Carnival gave that for their guests.

I am also choosing to sail RCL because I am going with a friend of mine who has never cruised, and since I am so used to Carnival, I thought going on another line would be a fun. I hear RCL has the WOW factor on their ships, so I am very excited to finally step aboard one.

I am also choosing RCL because Carnival does the basic itineraries and since I have done a lot of them, I really don't want to waste money to repeat places I have already been to. Even though I have been to Jamaica, I have never been to Falmouth, so I am looking forward to that. But I am really excited about going to Labadee, which is one of the other reasons I booked RCL.

But what really made me switch over to RCL, was that Carnival is recently handling out free cruises to people. I realize I am booked on the Valor in January, but I have been reading people just getting back from cruises are getting free cruises. I find this practice unfair. I realize Carnival wants to keep people sailing with them, but what about the people who are loyal and sail with them? Do they not deserve a free cruise after spending a lot of money on Carnival Cruises?

Well Carnival, you might have lost a loyal customer and now Royal this your turn to impress me!

It will take you a quite a few cruises to receive the Royal Caribbean perks. As a Diamond on Royal I can say that they are very nice perks.... however, 9 times out of 10 Carnival cruise fares are much lower than Royal. Also our onboard bill is always higher on Royal. The WOW may be when you view your final bill. LOL

We have never been offered a free cruise with either line. I think they go after the big gamblers. Kind of like Vegas.

Enjoy Royal, it's a great product. Freedom class and Radiance class are our favorite RCL ships.

Edited by SUSIEK

Somebody else posted a couple of months back that they were leaving to go to RCCL because they didn't get a free cruise.

Well, this person is back and already has another cruise booked with Carnival in the near future.:rolleyes:

There's a reason you cruise with Carnival.

You won't find that with RCCL. You're paying more. For what? Are you going to climb the rock wall? Are you going to go ice skating?

And the itinerary is BLAH compared to what Carnival offers.

Good Luck!!!!

Somebody else posted a couple of months back that they were leaving to go to RCCL because they didn't get a free cruise.

Well, this person is back and already has another cruise booked with Carnival in the near future.:rolleyes:

You won't find that with RCCL. You're paying more. For what? Are you going to climb the rock wall? Are you going to go ice skating?

Good Luck!!!!

When was your last Royal cruise? Just curious

I hope you enjoy your cruise onboard the Independence of the Seas. You may find that you really enjoy Royal Caribbean. There are plenty of other cruise lines to experience that offer unique opportunities and the only way to find out what which products you enjoy would be to try them out.

If you're chasing status and perks, Diamond status on Royal Caribbean will also give you Elite on Celebrity. Princess also offers many valuable perks to Platinum and Elite guests, which can attained either by days at sea or by number of cruises.

I hope you enjoy your cruise onboard the Independence of the Seas. You may find that you really enjoy Royal Caribbean. There are plenty of other cruise lines to experience that offer unique opportunities and the only way to find out what which products you enjoy would be to try them out.

If you're chasing status and perks, Diamond status on Royal Caribbean will also give you Elite on Celebrity. Princess also offers many valuable perks to Platinum and Elite guests, which can attained either by days at sea or by number of cruises.

Thank you! It's not that I am chasing status or perks, but I do have to say it would be nice to get some sort of perk for being a repeat customer. I really want to try an NCL ship after the Royal one. I want to do the solo rooms. I thought about maybe doing the NCL Escape but not sure yet. I have 2 booked, so well see :)

Good Luck!!!!

Not everyone who has had service failures and poor recognition has returned to Carnival that decided they won't be sailing with them anytime in the near future. That one person is not everyone.

The "brilliant enhancements" to the loyalty program was the final straw for us with Carnival Cruise Lines. This was even before many cutbacks, including Fun Ship 2.0. We enjoyed Royal Caribbean's ships, but at the time, we encountered some issues that led us back to Carnival. With recent enhancements, I'm not sure we would see those issues reappear and would consider sailing with Royal Caribbean again.

However, we have not returned to Carnival after discovering Princess, who is now able to provide us the cruise experience we are currently looking for. Eventually, I'm sure we will try Celebrity and Holland America, as they offer a comparable product. In fact, we cancelled four sets of future cruise certificates a few months after our cruise on the Carnival Miracle.

It's not always about price and sometimes Carnival is more expensive than both Royal Caribbean and Princess for a similar date/itinerary/cruise. Although not everyone will use the flowrider, rock wall or ice skating rink on Royal, they are still options for guests who may end up deciding later on to utilize those facilities. The ice skating rink is also a multi purpose room where they offer activities, such as the Quest and even have an ice skating show.

By the way, when have you sailed on another line besides Carnival?

Edited by Disconnections

Even if everything at Carnival was absolutely perfect, it's still nice to venture out and try other cruise lines. The experience feels new, even if you're going to the same places.

Labadee is absolutely wonderful. Private destination with jaw dropping scenery, beautiful green mountains and secluded beaches.

A poster above mentioned how someone bailed from Carnival to sail on Royal only to go back to Carnival. There's nothing wrong with going back and forth. We sailed on the Dream after sailing on the Allure, not because we didn't enjoy the Allure (on the contrary, it was amazing), but because it was cheap. Sticking to one cruise line out of blind loyalty is dumb.

Don't let the Royal haters bring you down or make you feel as if you are not going to have an awesome time. You will! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

...but what about the people who are loyal and sail with them? Do they not deserve a free cruise after spending a lot of money on Carnival Cruises?

I think some of your complaints were perfectly legit, and going to Haiti would be dope. But this sense of entitlement right here... very off putting. You don't deserve anything from Carnival or any other cruise line than what you've paid for.

Don't look at the free cruises as a reward. They aren't rewards. They're lotteries. I haven't heard of other cruise lines handing out this many free cruises, so I'm not sure why anybody would be jumping ship to a line that DOESN'T practice this. That's silly.

I did the unthinkable yesterday. After cruising with Carnival for the past 8 years, I have decided my next cruise after the Valor will be on Royal Caribbean. As much as I love Carnival and enjoy my cruises on them, I am kind of disgusted at how little perks they give loyal customers like myself. Royal Caribbean gives great perks to past guests including a nice discount on future cruises. That would be nice if Carnival gave that for their guests.

I am also choosing to sail RCL because I am going with a friend of mine who has never cruised, and since I am so used to Carnival, I thought going on another line would be a fun. I hear RCL has the WOW factor on their ships, so I am very excited to finally step aboard one.

I am also choosing RCL because Carnival does the basic itineraries and since I have done a lot of them, I really don't want to waste money to repeat places I have already been to. Even though I have been to Jamaica, I have never been to Falmouth, so I am looking forward to that. But I am really excited about going to Labadee, which is one of the other reasons I booked RCL.

But what really made me switch over to RCL, was that Carnival is recently handling out free cruises to people. I realize I am booked on the Valor in January, but I have been reading people just getting back from cruises are getting free cruises. I find this practice unfair. I realize Carnival wants to keep people sailing with them, but what about the people who are loyal and sail with them? Do they not deserve a free cruise after spending a lot of money on Carnival Cruises?

Well Carnival, you might have lost a loyal customer and now Royal this your turn to impress me!

My first recommendation is don't start comparing. Appreciate the differences, and you will quickly see that there are menu similarities. By weeks end you will figure out that both lines have their areas of excellence, but both are the top two in the business for a reason.

But you should absolutely come to appreciate the ship. There is NO comparison between the two.

I think some of your complaints were perfectly legit, and going to Haiti would be dope. But this sense of entitlement right here... very off putting. You don't deserve anything from Carnival or any other cruise line than what you've paid for.

Don't look at the free cruises as a reward. They aren't rewards. They're lotteries. I haven't heard of other cruise lines handing out this many free cruises, so I'm not sure why anybody would be jumping ship to a line that DOESN'T practice this. That's silly.

I feel that I am a loyal Carnival cruiser, so why wasn't my name picked to get a free cruise? I know married couples who both got each a free cruise. It's really irritating because I have spent some hard earned money on their cruises and because I am booked on one, I probably wont get one.

I am also not jumping ship just because of the free cruise, I want to try something new. And Carnival doesn't go to Haiti. And I also really want to try a freedom class ship. I hear they are super nice.

I am really excited about my IOS cruise :)

I feel that I am a loyal Carnival cruiser, so why wasn't my name picked to get a free cruise? I know married couples who both got each a free cruise. It's really irritating because I have spent some hard earned money on their cruises and because I am booked on one, I probably wont get one.

I am also not jumping ship just because of the free cruise, I want to try something new. And Carnival doesn't go to Haiti. And I also really want to try a freedom class ship. I hear they are super nice.

I am really excited about my IOS cruise

Yeah, I hear you, I really do. I want a free cruise as well. But it's not about earning it. It's just a random chance, 100% luck roll of the dice kind of deal. Just a blessing for the lucky few. Also, for the record, there have been several folks on these boards who already do have a cruise booked and they still got the free offer, so don't count yourself out just yet.

Enjoy your cruise with Royal! I'm quite envious of your itinerary. Haiti is on my cruising bucket list. :)

Not everyone who has had service failures and poor recognition has returned to Carnival that decided they won't be sailing with them anytime in the near future. That one person is not everyone.

The "brilliant enhancements" to the loyalty program was the final straw for us with Carnival Cruise Lines. This was even before many cutbacks, including Fun Ship 2.0. We enjoyed Royal Caribbean's ships, but at the time, we encountered some issues that led us back to Carnival. With recent enhancements, I'm not sure we would see those issues reappear and would consider sailing with Royal Caribbean again.

However, we have not returned to Carnival after discovering Princess, who is now able to provide us the cruise experience we are currently looking for. Eventually, I'm sure we will try Celebrity and Holland America, as they offer a comparable product. In fact, we cancelled four sets of future cruise certificates a few months after our cruise on the Carnival Miracle.

It's not always about price and sometimes Carnival is more expensive than both Royal Caribbean and Princess for a similar date/itinerary/cruise. Although not everyone will use the flowrider, rock wall or ice skating rink on Royal, they are still options for guests who may end up deciding later on to utilize those facilities. The ice skating rink is also a multi purpose room where they offer activities, such as the Quest and even have an ice skating show.

By the way, when have you sailed on another line besides Carnival?

Good points, and well taken.

I have never cruised on another line.

All I am saying is, the OP makes it sound like because she/he didn't get a free cruise, they run off to another line.

Just seems so "kindergarten-ish".

It's fine to try other lines, but don't make that your reason.

I would love to get on Allure someday, but honestly, cannot justify the price.

I am happy with what Carnival offers.

Princess is an "older" crowd. Doesn't interest us.

Celebrity? Yawn...... MUCH older crowd.

Royal? I can cruise twice on Carnival for what I'd pay on Royal.

Again, it's our choice, and it's the OP choice.

I didn't get a free cruise either. But I survived.

All I am saying is, the OP makes it sound like because she/he didn't get a free cruise, they run off to another line.

Honestly, it doesn't seem "kindergarten-ish." It seems as the OP is not happy with the way she has been treated as a customer, in her eyes, and is looking to move her business relations to a competitor. Carnival is a company, not someone's best friend.

As far as the onboard demographics on Princess and Celebrity, sure it is older. However, on our short cruises over Easter and Memorial Day, there were more guests in Carnival's target demographic than Princess'. I'm sure Celebrity's cruises 7 days or less are similar, as they occasionally offer their alcohol package complimentary under a sale. As a younger Princess cruiser, I haven't had an issue with the older demographic on any Princess sailing. I have, however, had a problem with the older demographic on the Carnival Magic's Transatlantic crossing who seemed to have issues with those who were not of the same age group. I'm sure you would feel the same if a guest called security multiple times for you having a conversation at a reasonable volume, while a movie was playing on the TV screen.

Edited by Disconnections

Royal is not twice the cost of a Carnival cruise . I just booked a RCL cruise on The Brillance of the sea for a balcony at less than the cost of an outside on the Paradise which is an older ship for the same ports . Carnival 's prices are going up and RCL gives discounts to repeat cruisers for balcony' s so in the end Carnival may not be cheaper .

Royal is not twice the cost of a Carnival cruise . I just booked a RCL cruise on The Brillance of the sea for a balcony at less than the cost of an outside on the Paradise which is an older ship for the same ports . Carnival 's prices are going up and RCL gives discounts to repeat cruisers for balcony' s so in the end Carnival may not be cheaper .

I was thinking the same thing... if I recall correctly, I paid somewhere around 450 for my 7 night cruise with RCCL this past March. Didn't think it was all that unreasonable.

Honestly, it doesn't seem "kindergarten-ish." It seems as the OP is not happy with the way she has been treated as a customer, in her eyes, and is looking to move her business relations to a competitor. Carnival is a company, not someone's best friend.

As far as the onboard demographics on Princess and Celebrity, sure it is older. However, on our short cruises over Easter and Memorial Day, there were more guests in Carnival's target demographic than Princess'. I'm sure Celebrity's cruises 7 days or less are similar, as they occasionally offer their alcohol package complimentary under a sale. As a younger Princess cruiser, I haven't had an issue with the older demographic on any Princess sailing. I have, however, had a problem with the older demographic on the Carnival Magic's Transatlantic crossing who seemed to have issues with those who were not of the same age group. I'm sure you would feel the same if a guest called security multiple times for you having a conversation at a reasonable volume, while a movie was playing on the TV screen.

Listen, again, you make valid points.

What works for one, doesn't work for all.

Everyone probably has their "go-to" cruise line.

Yes, I would be upset by your last sentence, as well.

I really don't like to argue on these forums.

I am just stating my opinion, and that's all.

Hope everyone has great cruises, regardless of the line.:D:D:D

Good Luck!!!!

You really don't have your facts all lined up. For starters, RCI is NOT always more....we just booked the Allure for a D3 balcony during their "sale", which truly was a sale, for $760 p/p which is LESS $$ than our Valor cruise in a regular balcony cabin coming up in January.

Secondly, RCI's itineraries are not BLAH!!! What drew us to RCI for our first cruise was in fact an itinerary CCL did NOT offer....as is our January 2015 cruise on RCI. We are going to Martinique and Grenada (which is NOT a typical CCL itin and wasn't offered at the time of our RCI booking) and which are 2 ports that have been on our "bucket list". RCI also cruises regularly to Bonaire, Falmouth, Labadee which CCL does NOT....so I don't know where you are getting your info from.

It is precisely BECAUSE of the "lack of creativity" in CCL's itin why a lot of the more seasoned cruisers jump "ship" literally...... looking for "different" un-offered ports and intineraries that CCL does NOT sail to. CCL is a great cruise line, and we have enjoyed each and every cruise on CCL, but to expand horizons, if travelling to see the world, one must do their due diligence and research other options. Sorry, but I don't agree with your thinking.

Edited by buddylover

and I agree with that too! For what I am paying on the IOS, is almost the same price as a Carnival room on a comparable 5 day itinerary. That's why I decided to cruise on RCL, to change it up and maybe I will be better valued as a customer, than I have been at Carnival.

If you reread the OP's comment, there were MANY reasons listed beyond not being chosen for a FREE cruise on CCL. It appears that these MULTIPLE reasons was the how and why the OP came to the conclusion to try out another cruise line. It is NOT the ONLY factor contributing to the OP's decision.....please reread the MULTIPLE factors that motivated the OP's decision, before labeling the OP and calling out names (i.e, "kindergartenish, immature etc). Thank you

Edited by buddylover

I have only sailed with Royal, and to be honest, I was a little concerned with Carnival. The only reason we just booked the Fantasy because it's a quick drive vrs. flying. I'm never done the mega ships, and I am honestly ok with that. I look forward to seeing how Carnival works....I'm hoping it works well, so I can return soon.