RCI Quiet About Chikungunya?

There's nothing on the website, but is RCI communicating anything about the chikungunya virus, either on board or emails prior to Caribbean cruises?

We'll be going to Labadee and Jamaica where its particularly hard hit. We'll definitely be getting some 100% DEET before we go.

Is RCI saying anything?

We were on Indy in Jan/Feb and no mention in port or on board but we had read about it before leaving. Sprayed for St. Maarten where it then was noted. We were not in the woody areas and in mid day and did not see any mosquitoes.

But someone posted on the Main Board was Very ill, others bitten too and there was a Thread on it a few days ago. Maybe read up on that and see if it is said where he was bitten, or ask.

There's nothing on the website, but is RCI communicating anything about the chikungunya virus, either on board or emails prior to Caribbean cruises?

We'll be going to Labadee and Jamaica where its particularly hard hit. We'll definitely be getting some 100% DEET before we go.

Is RCI saying anything?

Why would they?:confused:

Oh I totally agree. That's why I would heed the CDC's advice:

"CDC recommends that travelers to the Caribbean protect themselves from mosquito bites."

Instead of just telling people "You'll be fine."

The CDC has always said that, for every area that has mosquitoes. The CDC recommends the same in your very own home state. The CDC also says its not a cause for concern in the Labadee region (only in urban Haitian cities) or in Jamaica.

There is a small risk of infection from mosquito bites. The odds of infection are similar to acquiring mosquito-borne blood infection(s) in the state. This being said, no one wants to spend their holiday in the infirmary. Consider a insect repellent containing DEET. Unfortunately, many repellents sold in the States contain low concentrations of DEET, if any at all. Check Amazon.com or other online retailer for availability and pricing. One of the best products on the market is called "mosquito milk" and comes in a roll on.... Don't worry & have a great cruise!!!

We're headed out on Jewel 6/28 - and I too have been doing some research. Be careful with the concentration of deet. I'll be bringing along a product that is sold at my local hunting store. The higher the percentage of deet the higher the chance of having a reaction to it - particularly kids.

We're headed out on Jewel 6/28 - and I too have been doing some research. Be careful with the concentration of deet. I'll be bringing along a product that is sold at my local hunting store. The higher the percentage of deet the higher the chance of having a reaction to it - particularly kids.

We buy ours at hunting type stores too. It's called OFF Deep Woods for Sportsmen. It comes in very convenient 1 oz. plastic spray containers. They warn on the label to use only a small amount.

Chikungunya is only a normal level 1 threat .... Nothing to be overly concerned about.

LuLu