Aboard the Shadow to Alaska

duct tape

Actually, after one week home, we had 3 nights away on a fishing trip out on Captiva and I am leaving in another 2 weeks :) Just home long enough to work on my tan! Why don't you come to Alaska Dusababy? You could introduce us to Don.

Can't do it this trip kiddo -- but you'll need no introduction! He's probably reading these posts right now....

A neighbor just returned from Shadow/Don/Alaska -- first time on SS -- loved the ship but said she thought it rather "formal" and was surprised at the inactivity......previous cruising experiences on larger ships. Finally admitted after full day excursions it was early to bed. I told her she missed the action and should have booked when you're on board.....;)

Dusababy

Good morning from Skagway. It is warmer (65) and drier so maybe the rain is on break. Wonderful day yesterday in Juneau. While whale watching we were very lucky to see "bubble netting and feeding". 3 whales were rounding up a school of fish,herding them, actually. They would all dive, eat and rise up at the same time. Fascinating! Then we found a sports bar and watched the USA/Portugal game. Lovely dinner, as expected and Name That Tune. It is a tough crowd when you only get 1 wrong and lose! About 300 on board, a little over 100 Venetians, nice crowd. I guess I don't mind when SS dumbs down the dress code, I just wish I knew about it in advance. Would make packing easier! Lots of those out doorsy activities and planes and helicopters and hiking and dog sleds and salmon feasting occurring again today.

Or out to sea. Doubt Iran would be safe! Love spell check.

Also are all nights going casual? That would save us big time packing. Husband always has sport coat but, I'd leave my sequins at home. Please advise. Thank you.

MaryAnn, surprised your friend found it too formal. Yes, I do tend to liven things up. I'll save behaving for after I'm dead. :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Duct tape-- What's with the dress code? What do you mean by dumbing down? I'm packing now - we leave Friday for the June 30 cruise. Were there no formal nights? Do you know what they will be doing for the dress code for next week's cruise?

Who did you use for the whale watch in Juneau? Sounds like a great experience. We've booked Orca Enterprises.

See you next week.

Thanx for the heads up about the earthquake. Will see if the sea changes. For this segment, the dress code was for 2-6-2, F-I-C. It is 2-1-8! I will check about the next segment. I am overdressed but what the :-;)/-! We took the ship's excursion for the whale watching. I don't remember the co. Name but they did an excellent job.

Edited by duct tape

Duct tape: Thank you for your updates from the ship. I suppose I too will be overdressed on the Shadow next week; I am packing for, and still planning to wear more informal than casual clothes for dining in the evening.

A couple of things that I noted in the Avid Cruiser live report for this week's cruise:

1- "the dress code for Formal Nights like tonight recommends “Cocktail dresses or dress pantsuits” for ladies"

I guess I'll be overdressed that night as well because I still plan to wear my beaded formal gown.

2- "I am also pleased to see a healthy number of families with kids ranging from babies to teenagers...There are even dedicated kids programs onboard for them, taking place three separate times today."

And I still plan to not bring my young children with me even if Silversea dedicates a kids program for them. Something I'm really looking forward to on this trip is catching up on the sleep I've been missing the last ten months since my youngest was born!

Duct tape: Thank you for your updates from the ship. I suppose I too will be overdressed on the Shadow next week; I am packing for, and still planning to wear more informal than casual clothes for dining in the evening.

A couple of things that I noted in the Avid Cruiser live report for this week's cruise:

1- "the dress code for Formal Nights like tonight recommends “Cocktail dresses or dress pantsuits” for ladies"

I guess I'll be overdressed that night as well because I still plan to wear my beaded formal gown.

2- "I am also pleased to see a healthy number of families with kids ranging from babies to teenagers...There are even dedicated kids programs onboard for them, taking place three separate times today."

And I still plan to not bring my young children with me even if Silversea dedicates a kids program for them. Something I'm really looking forward to on this trip is catching up on the sleep I've been missing the last ten months since my youngest was born!

SLCwoman - Don't worry, you won't be the only overdressed one on the ship. I bought some new things and DH bought a new suit for the occasion. This will be one of the only chances I get to dress up, so I plan on taking advantage of it.

DuctTape - Did you happen to notice whether any of the women were wearing white slacks? I can't decide whether or not I should throw in a pair. Alaska just doesn't seem like a white pants place!

When I saw duct tape at the Venetian Society reception last evening she wondered why I began a new thread about the current Shadow cruise in Alaska. It occurred to me that it would be better to re-post here and so I have done so:

With some trepidation, caused by recent not very favorable comments here regarding the shape of The Shadow, we boarded in Vancouver last Thursday.

I will post a complete review at the end of our cruise, but after five days we have found the ship to be in darn good condition. Our Suite is spotless and well maintained, with everything in perfect working order.

The public spaces are also generally in good shape, with the exception of some wear and tear in a few of the hallways. Nothing to get exercised about in my opinion.

And, no surprise, the service is outstanding; the food and wine excellent.

Anyone contemplating a cruise on the Shadow should book it and enjoy!

Edited by jtm1

Yesterday, Juneau, rain, fog, chilly. Lots of adventuresome folks out doing wildlife quests, otters, raptors, bears, ocean rafting, kayaking (in the rain, really?), hiking in the rainforest, 4x4s somewhere, jet boats and beach exploration. Again, really? In this weather? I wimped out. Tracy Arm is lovely today, the rain held off until we were out of the fjord. Saw some glaciers but not all due to the intense ice pack in the water. We are about 45 miles south of Juneau. Whale call...bye!

A beautiful, sunny day in the village of Wrangell. Population about 2000 hearty souls, surrounded by snow covered peaks. Activities included fishing, river and glacier lake rides, highlights, kayaking and extreme hiking. Actually, I spoke with the young woman who was going to lead the highlights group and she was genuinely enthusiastic about showing folks around. Lots of people just went for a stroll in the sunshine. The patio at the restaurant on the river next to the pier was full. Alaskan rockfish, yum. Warm and sunny wins every time. Fun Liar's Club last evening that dragged on for some time, but still enjoyable. The Chef will be going on vacation in Vancouver. He has done a great job. Haven't heard any complaints. Let us hope the weather continues!

Enjoying your posts Duct Tape. Wrangell is by far one of my favorite ports. The Anan Bear Observatory is one of the most remarkable places on this earth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We second that about the bears!......still talk about it and coming into along the river with scores of bald eagles!....Still is Gods country..

Nice stop in Prince Rupert, Canada, yesterday. Weather pleasant, very friendly volunteers. Activities: floatplanes, rainforest hikes, golf and jet boats on the river. Chowder and salmon sliders up atthehotel were yummy. It was crowded with locals so that must have been the place! Rockin' and Rollin' at sea today. Don did a good show last evening. I think there are too any movies shown in the evening. I imagine the singers would welcome the opportunity to perform in cabaret. The entertainment schedule is lacking this week. Oh well.

Beautiful day, eventually, in Victoria. Great whale watching, the pup was being taught how to torture a seal before you have him for lunch. We had lunch on the veranda at the Empress Hotel, another winner. In port until late this evening. I hope folks take advantage of that and the sunshine. See the rest of you in Vancouver tomorrow after we go to the aquarium. Only 3 of us in transit!

Beautiful day in Vancouver, sunny and warm. On/Off bus to the Aquarium, very nice but very crowded. Tomorrow is Canada Day so it is a long weekend for most people. Lovely restaurant, Fish House in Stanley Park. Boarding 340 or so today. Maybe someone will start a new thread since I will sound repetitive! Looking forward to some nice weather.

We have not gone as far as Seward. We got to Skagway and headed back. I really like Seward. You will have a great trip. The wildlife is very active! 2 groups of whales running with us this morning, one on each side. Very considerate of them!