HAL and Celebrity; Similarities and Differences?

ldparker

I have been on several Celebrity cruises and have enjoyed those experiences. I would like to try a HAL Eastern Caribbean cruise for alittle varity (Tortola). Many have told me that HAL is most similar to Celebrity in mood, service, dining, etc. Has anyone sailed on both lines and can comment on the similarities and differences.

Also any impressions of Zuiderdam vs Zaandam.

Thanks, David

RCCL Viking Serenade 04/99

RCCL Viking Serenade 07/00

Celebrity Horizon 02/01

Celebrity Century 05/02

Celebrity Horizon 11/03

Celebrity Summit 04/04

Celebrity Mercury 11/04

Celebrity Xpedition 04/05

Variety is always good. And I think that you will find more similarities than differences with these 2 lines. They both offer a fine cruising experience and I would not hesitate to cruise with either line. IMHO...I think that HAL's staff is among the best on the high seas. I found the food on both lines to be very similar and have enjoyed all of our meals immensely. Which HAL ship are you considering?

Post if you have specific questions that we can help with.

Happy sailing on whatever ship you choose.

Victoria III 4/99 (Yangtze River)

Maasdam 5/00 (W.Med) & 11/01

Veendam 10/00

Zaandam 5/01 (Alaska cruisetour)

Millenium 12/01 & 10/03 (transatlantic)

Amsterdam 5/02 (transcanal)

NCL Star 12/02 (Hawaii)

CCL Paradise 3/03

Noordam 4/03 (transatlantic)

NCL Dawn 8/03

Regal Princess Elaine 3/04 (Yangtze River)

We've been on several Celebrity cruises and are trying our first HAL June 26th, on the Statendam. I'll give you my opinion after we return.

Perry and Mary Ann in Williamsburg, Virginia

Lurline 5/59, Skyward 7/69, Ariadne 8/70, Southward 8/71, Queen Anna Maria 6/72, Mardi Gras 5/73, World Renaissance 6/77, Vera Cruz 7/83, Festivale 6/84, Sun Viking 7/86, 7/87, Costa Riviera 7/88, Azure Seas 7/91, Ecstacy 11/92, Ocean Breeze 1/96, Seaward 8/96, Mississippi Queen 7/97, Seabreeze 7/98, Rembrandt 3/00, Legacy 7/01, Zenith 1/02, Millenium 1/03, Galaxy 1/04, Statendam 6/04

Days until our Alaska Vacation and Inside Passage Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;6;20;8;32;00&timezone=GMT-0500

We find them quite simialr. I think if you were blindfolded when boarding and all of the ship's logo was removed, you wouldn't know if you were on one line or the other. HAL staff is somewhat less animated and chatty, but no less competent and accomodating. We do like the sliding glass dome roof over the pools on HAL ships, the cabins seem to be just a tad larger, but not significantly enough to be a deal breaker. If you happen to be 3 in a cabin, HAL is preferable as the 3rd is a sofa bed, not an upper. We really enjoyed a particular lounge and band on one HAL sailing, but they were not on board the next, so a very unique and speicfic experience that makes a specific sailing so enjoyable may not be there the next time and you have to keep the bigger, broader experience in mind when comparing. We thought the overall dining experience comparable, but HAL luncheon buffets were much more extensive. We prefer Horizon and Zenith of "X" over the Millenium class 90K tonners and I think that is what we like best about most of the HAL fleet, the size. The 60K ton ships are our favorite. We are not really big fans of the mega liners regardless of the line.

LDParker -

We sailed the Baltics last May on Celebrity's Constellation and recently completed a 14-day Rome to London on HAL's Noordam. Admittedly, the size and age difference of the two is dramatic and a comparison of facilities is like comparing apples and oranges. However, the standard of service afforded PAX should be constant for a cruiseline regardless of the particular ship from the company's fleet one sails.

In our opinion, our experience on the Constellation was a notch above our recent trip on the Noordam; not for any one outstanding reason, but rather because of the sum total of a host of minor differences. Some of the positive differences we experienced on the Constellation include the following:

Whenever we or other PAX encountered a steward vacuuming carpets in the passageways or lounges, the steward immediately shut off the vacuum and greeted us with a smile. Only after we passed would he resume his duties. On the buffet lines, a linen cloth, napkin and cutlery was placed on each tray by a steward prior to being handed to a passenger. Also at the buffets, the number of dining stewards available to carry trays for ladies was far greater on the Constellation. Tables were cleared and cleaned with much greater efficiency and I never saw a passenger finding it necessary to wipe off his/her table before sitting down to dine. Our cabin steward on the Constellation was much more conscientious about restocking the mini-bar and bottled water than on the Noordam. When we had a problem with the shower on the Constellation, the cabin steward took it upon himself to contact engineering and have the problem corrected. On the Noordam, I informed our cabin steward of a plumbing problem and his response was "Call engineering." This listing is by no means complete and other "little" differences can be put forth. However, it makes no sense to beat a dead horse and I think the point has been made.

For Marcia and me, the differences between the two is clear enough that we've concluded HAL is not the cruiseline for us. But, that's OK, and it doesn't have to be. Fortunately, there are plenty of cruiselines available from which to choose and there's a product out there for everyone's taste. What one needs to realize is that the ship is a floating hotel and the more extensively one researches the line, the fewer "surprises" one is likely to encounter onboard.

Whichever cruise you book, may your seas be calm and your skies fair.

Dave of ...

Dave & Marcia

R.E.D.I.S.

(Retired, Every Day Is Saturday)

I think the COnnie at the moment (ie this year) is really great- namely due to the staff- as your post stated. I was so impressed with them. The steward even cleaned out cabin in the afternoon as my daughter slep late (i told him i undterstoood he was off and to not worry about it). Head housekeepr checked on me. Martinti bartender was the best. Waiter tops. Childrens progra, - unbelievable.

To show how different people are- i do not like the zenith/horizon class of ship. And i much prefer a pull down bunk to a fold out couch. When its open it takes up too much floorspace and it tends to be open a lot when my daughter is resting. My legs were bruised for weeks !

Jacqueline

Constellation 3/20/04

HAL Westerdam 7/30/04

Tahitian Princess August 2003

Grand Princess Western Caribbean 2003

Brilliance of the Seas Baltic 2002

Ocean Princess- Alaska 2001

Celebrity Zenith- Bermuda 2001

Grand Princess Med 2000

We enjoy the INSIDE of the larger Celebrity ships and the employees are very outgoing. But the highlight for us on longer cruises is the covered Promenade decks on HAL. We enjoyed our last Celebrity Trans-Atlantic cruise for all the above reasons, but really missed walking outside without having to turn around and walk back around. If you love walking the outside deck at sunset, you will miss that. It turned a 10 cruise into an 8 for us, but if the beautiful sea as you walk is not important, the Celebrity is a very good choice. They also have better itineraries and prices. But we LOVE our evening walks!!! My wish is that they will have the promenade decks of HAL and Princess. Then they would be almost unbeatable. A good compromise is the newest, slightly smaller Radiance class RCI ships. They finally managed to squeeze an all-around walk on their Promenade decks (thank you!!). Prices good, cabins a little smaller.

Penny

I've been on Celebrity three times and HAL twice. They are indeed somewhat similar and a person that enjoys one would likely enjoy the other.

Celebrity does have one big plus for me - NO BINGO ANNOUNCEMENTS.

I also have had better dining room food and service on Celebrity.

PSR.... I too love the Promenade and can't even conceive of a cruise ship without one. ((HAL's promenades would be better if they'd cut down on the glaring lights at night.))

Do Celebrity ships have "partial" Promenades, or any other long, open-air spaces where you can lounge and watch the sea go by without dealing with the sun or rain?

Rick

shuksan7: You can always walk on the partial promenade decks,but they are usually about 2 decks high so not much sun/rain protection. On our last cruise, we got rain on one side, but the ship was so large that on the other side we only got wind!

Penny

PSR I agree with you on the promenade decks. It is my favorite to take a turn on the promenade after dinner !

THe reason I really dod not like the Zenith Horizon was the lack of access to outside.

I agree that the HAL/Princess desings really take advantage of the *at sea* feeling. But there are some nice views from the Radiance class ships from some of the inside spaces too (even though this is not my favorite ship).

Jacqueline

Constellation 3/20/04

HAL Westerdam 7/30/04

Tahitian Princess August 2003

Grand Princess Western Caribbean 2003

Brilliance of the Seas Baltic 2002

Ocean Princess- Alaska 2001

Celebrity Zenith- Bermuda 2001

Grand Princess Med 2000

We've cruised Holland and Celbrity and rate them overall very close to each other for our likes. In some areas one beats out the other for either food or service and ambiance of the ship. One like of ours is soup and Holland usually has two soups for lunch and dinner and Holland's soups stand out compared to that of Celebrity. And if we find that to be the biggest difference, well then life is good.

Robert

Thank you all for your impressions. I really have enjoyed the Celebrity cruises but may try HAL in the Carabbean next spring.

David

RCCL Viking Serenade 04/99

RCCL Viking Serenade 07/00

Celebrity Horizon 02/01

Celebrity Century 05/02

Celebrity Horizon 11/03

Celebrity Summit 04/04

Celebrity Mercury 11/04

Celebrity Xpedition 04/05

We have cruised on HAL's Maasdam and Veendam and on Celebrity's Mercury. On the Mercury we booked a sky suite and were upgraded to a Royal Suite which was very acceptable. We had minisuites on the HAL ships. We thought that the Mercury's food was definately a notch above HALs and the production shows were better. However there was always a feeling of being crowded with lots of queues on the Mercury. The decor on the HAL ships was richer - we found Mercury rather stark. The service was about equal on both ships although the HAL bar crew was more willing - our Celebrity dining room waiter was superb.(He was Turkish!) So as the old adage goes - 'you pays your money and you takes your choice'Both lines will give you an excellent cruise experience - but for us (and we are English) HAL is just that little bit better!

I'm sure you'll have a graet time!

Mickb

Archived