Ocean blue on getaway...worth it?

pog27

What a bargain. After paying $50pp you can pay more to get a second appetizer. Sign me up.

To each their own. I'll be signing up again. A restaurant in Manhattan I went to recently charged $10-$20 for appetizers (where the beef tartar alone is $20) (I only went their because of a groupon deal). The restaurant wasn't as nice as Ocean Blue and certainly didn't have a celebrity chef attached to it . At $5 for an extra appetizer to satisfy a personal craving/curiosity on vacation at Ocean Blue was worth every penny and good to the last drop. I can't remember what I paid for the extra beef tartar ($6?). I recommended the same dishes to some new friends and they came back beaming.

Oh... at the lobster roll for $10 during lunch on sea days is fantastic. I get it every time.

P.S. I went to an Emerils restaurant in New Orleans in February. Simply put, I was pleased with the excellent service but unimpressed by the food. Such experiences give me a new appreciation for Ocean Blue where i've enjoyed memorable dishes (and all dining options on NCL from specialty to buffet) and what can be done on a cruise ship.

Edited by kylenyc

I personally am not fan of these "Celebrity chef's" that plaster their name on a restaurant but really have very little else associated with it except, "oh if you add cashews to the fish, it'll be epic".

there's really no reason to charge 49$ for a chef in the back that is basically one of the ship's full time cooks. If you like his food in ocean blue, you'll like his food int he buffet (minus the nut crust)

what would be more devious is if the celebirty chef premakes the stuff and puts it in frozen packages to simply be reheated and prepped for dinner. Much like gordon ramsey does at his bistro in london.

So I am wondering who is losing $ in this deal? Does NCL pay Z to use his name/recipes? Does Z get a cut of the proceeds only? Does he have to 'rent' the space? Or a combination of the above?

I would never pay that much on a ship to eat in a specialty restaurant period.

I have not been there. However, I've been following a lot of the reviews. Biggest complaint is the serving sizes and being limited on the number of items per course you can order, given the higher cover charge. Mixed reviews on the flavor and cooking quality, which there is for ANY dining venue.

So if those two things don't bother you, go nuts! Be adventurous!

what would be more devious is if the celebirty chef premakes the stuff and puts it in frozen packages to simply be reheated and prepped for dinner. Much like gordon ramsey does at his bistro in london.

You mean like Carlos' Bake Shop? Yep.

I have not been there. However, I've been following a lot of the reviews. Biggest complaint is the serving sizes and being limited on the number of items per course you can order, given the higher cover charge. Mixed reviews on the flavor and cooking quality, which there is for ANY dining venue.

So if those two things don't bother you, go nuts! Be adventurous!

A look on Zakarian's restaurants on TripAdvisor (National and Lambs Club), the the majority of people rate his restaurant very good to excellent... He charges about $15+ for appetizers, $35+ for a seafood entree, there's your $49 without dessert which is included in Ocean Blue. If you're going in looking for an all you can eat buffet or diner sized portions, you'll be disappointed. Yet, I ordered one extra appetizer and couldn't finish everything.

A look on Zakarian's restaurants on TripAdvisor (National and Lambs Club), the the majority of people rate his restaurant very good to excellent... He charges about $15+ for appetizers, $35+ for a seafood entree, there's your $49 without dessert which is included in Ocean Blue. If you're going in looking for an all you can eat buffet or diner sized portions, you'll be disappointed. Yet, I ordered one extra appetizer and couldn't finish everything.

So, you are saying you pay almost as much as his land based restaurant? What a deal.

So, you are saying you pay almost as much as his land based restaurant? What a deal.

To have the chance to dine in a unique trendy restaurant where some folks wouldn't otherwise have the opportunity to on a cruise ship while on vacation, and being given that freedom and choice (and it is a choice, no one forcing anyone to eat there and the included dining is very good)... so yes... "almost" costs as much being the operative word :). And no... you are saying things that I am not ;)

So you'd want NCL/Zakarian to charge less than what it's worth and make no profit? That'd be a quite the unique business model.

Edited by kylenyc

So you'd want NCL/Zakarian to charge less than what it's worth and make no profit? That'd be a quite the unique business model.

They charge less, than the meals are worth shore side, in the other specialty restaurants due to the fact that food is considered as part of your cruise fare. This discussion has been hashed out here many many times.

Besides, typical food markups are in the three times food cost range. I would bet Zakarian is in the 4 to 5 times range. But, who would begrudge him that, he does have some serious legal bills hanging over his head. Oh, that's right he just files personal bankruptcy to avoid those legal issues.

They charge less, than the meals are worth shore side, in the other specialty restaurants due to the fact that food is considered as part of your cruise fare. This discussion has been hashed out here many many times.

Besides, typical food markups are in the three times food cost range. I would bet Zakarian is in the 4 to 5 times range. But, who would begrudge him that, he does have some serious legal bills hanging over his head. Oh, that's right he just files personal bankruptcy to avoid those legal issues.

And yet the specialty restaurants remain open, people continue to patronize them, and some people actually like them and feel it enhances their vacation experience. Clearly there is a market and people who like them a la TripAdvisor ratings of Zakarian restaurants, and the fact that Ocean Blue and other specialty restaurants remain.

The profit and cost of the food aside, when Ocean Blue first launched, it was $39 per person, and Kevin Sheehan thought it was too low. I didn't like the price hike to $49 but I completely understand the reasoning which I can only surmise as simple supply and demand. He thought it was worth more and he was right. A year and a half later, the price still stands and people continue to go.

Edited by kylenyc

You make my point for me! The other specialty restaurants are priced appropriately and worth the price to the people dining there.

My original point was that Ocean Blue is not worth the $50pp price and it proves out with the lack of patronage on both ships. There will always be people that pay excess dollars for the novelty or celebrity associations attached to something. Personally I do not feel the need to line the pockets of celebrities by buying overpriced products or services.

I am throght picking nits with you on something we will never agree upon. Good day to you.

I stand by my earlier comment that it will be gone within 5 years. NCL will want to use that space for a restaurant that actually fills up with paying cruisers. Ocean Blue is lucky if it is ever 25% full. I walked by at around 7PM one night and it was empty! That is not what they intended.