Ocean blue on getaway...worth it?

pog27

As others have posted ncl is offering a discount at ocean blue if booked in advance ($37 vs $50 pp). We're cruising on the getaway in a few weeks and trying to decide if its worth it. We're planning to primarily dine in the haven restaurant and do le bistro and cagneys once. Thoughts on ocean blue vs haven and the other specialty restaurants all of which are cheaper?

Food is excellent ... but the small portions, high cost, and limited 3-courses (starter/entree/dessert) ... would discourage some even at the discounted $37pp.

It's a *novelty* that's great for *foodies* ... but we liked some of the other specialty restaurants just as well ... and for 1/2 the price :)

Edited by chiapet

I would really, really be surprised if this restaurant is still around in it's current form 5 years from now. I think they are having trouble filling it, especially for that price. It was almost always empty when we checked it out on our recent Getaway cruise.

As far as whether or not it's worth it, that depends on you. We checked out the menu and didn't think it was worth it for us. Had it been $20/pp we might have given it a shot, but it's unlikely. The menu just didn't appeal to us, despite our love of seafood. I've also read a lot about the small portion sizes.

My husband and I are going to try it on our Getaway cruise in September, but my expectations are pretty low, based on what others have said.

I love trying Celebrity Chef restaurants (kind of a hobby), and I really enjoy Geoffrey Zakarian but haven't had the opportunity to visit one of his restaurants. I don't care too much about portion sizes as long as the quality is good and the flavors something you wouldn't get just anywhere. I also know I'll be trying it on board for much less than what I'd get away with on land, so....what the heck.

That said, the food in the Haven restaurant is my favorite on the ship. Better than Cagney's (which I don't care for at all anymore), or Le Bistro (my usual favorite) or any other place. Unfortunately, we won't have access this trip, so I'm looking forward to my Ocean Blue meal.

We are in the Haven with Courtyard Penthouse on the Getaway in September

Went ahead and booked Cagneys for 2 nights ( always have had good experience ) Le Bistro ...2 nights ( indeed very good experience ), the Illusionarium , Ocean Blue and will dine one night in the Haven.

Just like to mix it up some.

Thanks for the input. I'm definitely a foodie and for us portion sizes aren't an issue...I love to taste but not stuff myself and also love seafood. Sounds like even with that we should stick to our normal favorites like Le Bistro. Any other input is welcome! Really I'd like someone to convince me that it's worth the money because I love trying new things.

I hadn't heard of this discount. I tried calling NCL to book at the lower rate for upcoming Breakaway cruise and they had no idea what I was talking about. The woman from NCL was very nice and tried to reserve for me to check the price, but didn't see and had never heard of the discount. Is there some type of code or trick to this?

Food is excellent ... but the small portions, high cost, and limited 3-courses (starter/entree/dessert) ... would discourage some even at the discounted $37pp.

It's a *novelty* that's great for *foodies* ... but we liked some of the other specialty restaurants just as well ... and for 1/2 the price :)

Totally agree with that as well.

Hi, Chia!! :)

Went to Ocean Blue on Getaway June 6 and do not recommend it. The food was ok, not very special. The portions were small and not worth the price even with the discount. I ate at all the other specialty restaurants and they were much better! Will be very surprised if the restaurant remains open. There were 4 of us in our party and we all agree.

Edited by deckslug

We ate at Ocean Blue on the Breakaway and used our on board credit. The service and the desserts were outstanding as was the shrimp panzanella appetizer. The specialy, Dover sole, was swimming in too much butter for my taste. If you have a lot of on board credit, go for it otherwise, LeBistro and Cagney's were better at full price. The portions were like what you get in a high priced restaurant.

I don't believe the other posters were being dishonest, just a bit more detailed in their responses. ;)

No matter how you sugar coat it, Ocean Blue is not worth $50pp or even $37pp. Zacharian's ego is way out of control and this venture is no different than most of his others. Yes, he is a very talented cook but he is a tyrant in his business life and not that nice of a guy in his personal life. I was very disappointed that NCL even partnered with him in the first place. JMHO!

Just an FYI-

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/27/dining/27zakarian.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Edited by Beaver1975

Thanks for the input. I'm definitely a foodie and for us portion sizes aren't an issue...I love to taste but not stuff myself and also love seafood. Sounds like even with that we should stick to our normal favorites like Le Bistro. Any other input is welcome! Really I'd like someone to convince me that it's worth the money because I love trying new things.

No need to convince you. If you like to try new things.....that's your answer! Don't forget to try the Iced Tea. It's delicious! They use frozen 'ice tea cubes, instead of regular ice cubes and the tea has it's own distinctive flavor. Between the three courses and asking for extra bread we were full by the time we left! We truly enjoyed it! So did the other 3 in my party.

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

No matter how you sugar coat it, Ocean Blue is not worth $50pp or even $37pp. Zacharian's ego is way out of control and this venture is no different than most of his others. Yes, he is a very talented cook but he is a tyrant in his business life and not that nice of a guy in his personal life. I was very disappointed that NCL even partnered with him in the first place. JMHO!

Just an FYI-

Wow. You seem to have a personal vendetta against the guy.

Clearly it's not worth it to you. That does not mean it isn't worth it to someone else. To each their own, right?

Wasn't sure if most are aware of this ... but Ocean Blue is not a NCL specialty restaurant per se ... it's *owned* by Geoffrey Zakarian ... who oversees all aspects of the restaurant ... even the prices :rolleyes:

And some really do enjoy their *experience* there ... but they're paying for the *food* ... not to interact with the man ... unless (of course) you're attending the *special* dinner he hosts while he's onboard :p

Some will like it and some will not ... but most importantly ... it's totally *optional* ... and no one has to pay to go ... if they don't want to ... but the *choice* is there ;)

Totally agree with that as well.

Hi, Chia!!

Hi Don ... I've been pretty MIA on these boards lately ... just catching back up ... and always enjoy seeing your CC posts ... esp. the *decorations* one today :D ... hopefully we'll be able to catch another cruise with you soon ... how about Hawaii POA in August :)

FYI - The above is from 2011. Not sure what's happened between then and now.

Harriet

Yes, I know. I can read a byline.

The article shows his true nature and yet, NCL still went into business with him. A leopard can't change its spots and an egomaniac will always be an egomaniac.

My understanding is that the shine has worn off this dining venue and it is usually close to empty. Yet another brilliant decision by NCL management.

Edited by Beaver1975

Just an FYI-

.....was because since he was already paying low wages, it just seems like a natural fit for the two of them.

;)

wasiii

Yes, I know. I can read a byline.

That came off a little snippy but I'm sure I just took it that way and it wasn't meant to be. I simply stated that because at first *I* didn't notice the date so was bringing it to everyone's attention.

Harriet

One of the more memorable dishes among my limited culinary experiences have been at Ocean Blue.

Beef tartar - Breakaway/Getaway

Dover Sole - Breakaway/Getaway

Caribbean lobster risotto - Getaway only.

These three are the best on the menu. The carrot madras curry bisque (tasty) and mussels tom kai gow (healthy portion) are also very nice. Breakaway has the jonah crab risotto instead of lobster risotto which is also very good but the lobster risotto on Getaway is better.

Are these specific appetizers/entrees are worth it? Absolutely! I wrote a review of the Breakaway's Ocean Blue a while back and my opinion is upped a tick for Getaway's Ocean Blue simply because three dishes mentioned above. Stray from the menu, and my friends will say they enjoyed their entrees but the risotto, dover sole, and beef tartar were the stars leaving you wishing you had order it.

The portions are fine. If you're really hungry you can order another appetizer for a modest surcharge. I enjoyed the Beef Tartar so much on Breakaway I ordered it again on Getaway even though I wanted to try the mussels. In the end, I simply couldn't finish everything despite trying. The three courses was plenty.

2014 Getaway Ocean Blue Review (excellent)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1969191&page=5#89

2013 Breakaway Ocean Blue Review (very good)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1848732

Edited by kylenyc