Process in NYC for wine on board?

TravelJoe

I've searched the forum and found lots of threads about carrying on a bottle or two (or 4) in checked baggage and paying the corkage fees after security, but I haven't found anything that addresses a full case of wine (aside from people doing it).

With regard to Pier 88 in NYC, if I bring a case of wine with us, can I put a luggage tag on it and have it delivered to my stateroom, or do I have to carry the case of wine myself through security?

If I have to carry it myself through the process, are there "carts" (like they have in airports) to wheel the case around with me, or do I have to physically carry if I can't check it and have delivered?

Thanks in advance for anyone that can share their experience... two weeks and counting!!!

You could put a luggage tag on it..BUT it is at your own risk :eek: , meaning it will be treated like a piece of luggage and will get handle...lets say...roughly.

The case will be sent to the "naughty room", you will be called there, explain yourself and pay the fee.

The safest way would be to carry it on the ship yourself. NO carts available like in airports. You would have to open the case and put a sticker on all the bottles before you could continue to the check-in area.

I have taken 6 bottles in my carry-on ( with wheels ) and it made for a very heavy piece of luggage to roll everywhere.

I don't know how many you are in your party but you might want to split the bottles in a few carry-on ?

Have a safe cruise !

I've searched the forum and found lots of threads about carrying on a bottle or two (or 4) in checked baggage and paying the corkage fees after security, but I haven't found anything that addresses a full case of wine (aside from people doing it).

With regard to Pier 88 in NYC, if I bring a case of wine with us, can I put a luggage tag on it and have it delivered to my stateroom, or do I have to carry the case of wine myself through security?

Since you need to pay corkage fee on each bottle, and security wants to see each bottle, the answer is no, you can't just put a luggage tag on it.

If I have to carry it myself through the process, are there "carts" (like they have in airports) to wheel the case around with me, or do I have to physically carry if I can't check it and have delivered?

What we have is a collapsible crate on wheels with a pull up handle. I think we got it at Amazon or 1 of those online stores. (It looks like a milk crate and is plastic) Plus, you can take your carryon to your cabin upon boarding, even if your cabin isn't ready.

Thanks in advance for anyone that can share their experience... two weeks and counting!!!

Hope this helps, cheers :D

Aside from possibly bringing a certain favorite wine that perhaps NCL doesn't stock, wouldn't it be less of a hassle to buy NCL's Vivo Vino wine package (or whatever it's called), and maybe even cheaper in the long run than having to buy the wine, pay 15.00 per bottle corkage fee.. and then have the aggravation of storing and carrying around a case of wine until you get to your cabin?

I for one vote for less hassle ;)

less of a hassle to buy NCL's Vivo Vino wine package

I for one vote for less hassle ;)

Agree it makes it much easier with the wine package :D There may be some changes to the pricing but it's pretty close to what is posted here.

I'll even post the Viva Vino package here for perusal :

Provided by CC Member Alliezona09 - much appreciated.

VIVA VINO

by Norwegian Cruise Line

4 Bottles - $88

6 Bottles - $132

8 Bottles - $176

___ Beringer, Sparkling White Zinfandel – California

___ Lindemans, Bin 90 Moscato – Australia

___ Ruffino, Pinot Grigio – Delle Venezie, Italy

___ De Aureo Spirito, Sauvignon Blanc – Langeudoc, France

___ Woodbridge by Robert Mandavi, White Zinfandel – California

___ Alice White, Chardonnay – Southeastern Australia

___ Colores Del Sol, Malbec – Mandoza, Argentina

___ Ravenswood, “Zen of Zin” Zinfandel – California

___ Errazuriz, “Estate” Merlot – Colchagua Valley, Chile

___ Black Opal, Shiraz/Cabernet – Southern Australia

The Aficionado

Including selections from the “Enthusiast” category plus the following

4 Bottles - $98

6 Bottles - $146

8 Bottles - $196

___ Rosemont, Riesling – Southeastern Australia

___ Estancia, Pinot Grigio – California

___ Matua Valley, Sauvignon Blanc – Marlborough, New Zealand

___ Robert Mandavi Private Selection, Chardonnay – California

___ Estancia, Pinot Noir – Monterey, California

___ Rancho Zabaco, “Heritage Vines” Zinfandel – Sonoma, California

___ Sylvester Winery, “Kiara Reserve” Merlot - California

___ Avalon Cabernet Sauvignon – Napa Valley, California

The Connoisseur

Including selections from the “Enthusiast” and “Aficionado categories

plus the following

4 Bottles - $110

6 Bottles - $162

8 Bottles - $216

___ Dry Creek, Fume Blanc – Sonoma, California

___ Isabel Mandavi, Deep Rose’ – Napa Valley, California

___ Wild Horse, Chardonnay – Central Coast, California

___ Spellbound, Petite Sirah – California

___ Chareau St. Jean, Cabernet Sauvignon – California

A 15% gratuity will be added to your check for all beverages orders.

Prices are subject to change. Your check may reflect applicable VAT

for certain ports or itineraries

Thank you all for the great feedback -- I knew there would be some experts out there with practical experience and good suggestions.

I love the idea of the collapsible box on wheels -- I've seen them around NYC and think that's a good option.

Thanks for the post of the Viva Vino info -- we'll probably do that regardless of whether we decide to bring wine with us or not. There's 17 of us traveling with 13 of us all wine drinkers, so I've done some of the math buying wine (less case discount) + tax + corkage and for some nicer wines, I can save a good amount -- but some of the other comments are spot on -- the prices overall aren't that bad compared to what you would pay at a resort or restaurant in NYC. The Silverado I had with a client the other day at Wolfgang's was $100 and NCL is $72 (not sure of vintage year, but still a good price), but the Souverain at $49 is pricey since that's more than 2x retail.

Not sure what I'll do yet -- Need to wait until my wife and daughters pack. My son and I together can pack so that we can do a week in bag that fits in an airplane overhead compartment -- can't say the same for the rest of the crew. I just picked up my 2 cases of water as I've been advised they are "must haves" to be a part of checked luggage since we go through it like, well, water :D

Appreciate the input of how checked luggage is handled -- thought that there may be some "special" treatment if it's a case of wine, but no different than checking it an airport I guess. "Fragile/Glass" means very little. Better off labeling it "Heavy/Rocks Enclosed" and it would be treated more carefully.

Hoping when we sail on the 6th of July the weather is as spectacular as it has been the last two Sundays; it's been absolutely perfect in NYC the last two Sundays.

Bring your favorite bottles from home for special occasions. Buy the package on board for the rest. It all comes out even in the end.

Cheers!

P.S. Will be hoping for continued amazing weather that we so highly deserve for sailaway. :)

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Edited by meatball_nyc

• 3 weeks later...

I can't find the option to purchase this package anywhere on NCL's site to purchase this. I only see the daily drink packages. Is this available on a 7 day cruise or only on longer cruises.

I can't find the option to purchase this package anywhere on NCL's site to purchase this. ...

You buy it from an bar onboard, or the setup in the atrium or by the pool the first afternoon.

I can't find the option to purchase this package anywhere on NCL's site to purchase this. I only see the daily drink packages. Is this available on a 7 day cruise or only on longer cruises.

If you hesitate on which wine package you should get, you could taste some of the wine in the automatic wine dispensers onboard.

Half a glass will cost between 3,50 to 5$ ( approx. ). Then maybe you could buy a less expensive package if the wine suits your taste )

Have fun !

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app