Viking Sun Rhine Getaway

mimmy52

I hope this question isn't too stupid. Is the top deck always available, or does it close at night? I mean, if the ship is cruising at night, could you sit up there?

We made our reservation for this trip at the beginning of March and we (sister and I) board the Viking Sun August 17 of this year. Although I didn't know then about cruisecritic, I had heard some not-so-good things about Viking. Still it turned out to be the most reasonable for us, although I still consider it a splurge.

I have been on four Viking River cruises but have never sat on the top deck so I am not sure if people go up there at night or not.

I have never had a problem with Viking so I will continue to sail with them.

They look after everything.

Some people always have something to complain about and when I see their complaints I always hope they don't have any children. They probably expect their children to be perfect also and we all know that never happens....

I always say whatever happens was meant to be.

I believe the only time the top deck is closed to passengers is when you're going under a low bridge. They have a way to lower the pilot house, and then there isn't room to stand up so they clear the deck for your safety.

I am not sure about the top deck at night. We never went up there on our Tulips and Windmill cruise in April. We were very impressed with Viking. The service was outstanding. The cabin was quite nice and the bathroom nicer than on a big cruise ship. The food was very good as well. I did not concur with many of the other comments on CC about poor Viking service, but each person has a different experience. The only thing we did not like was that the cabin was loud at night..when anyone nearby flushed their toilet you could hear it. There is also very, very limited entertainment at night after dinner. But that just makes river cruising different than ocean cruising (we cruise on Princess a lot). It is different, not necessarily bad. Enjoy your trip.

Viking was AWESOME. Very attentive staff. In fact, we remain in contact with three of them. Rooms, tours, food fantastic. We went on the Grand European tour in Nov and it is open for you to enjoy. However, it can be cold. Jazzbeau is correct that it's only closed going under the low bridges. I would NOT hestitate to cruise Viking again.

• 3 weeks later...

We've taken 2 Viking cruises so far and have a 3rd in October! We've always found the service fabulous and the ship's wonderful! Everyone has different expectations - only you can decide for yourself!

Both trip the top deck was open on the evening, I'm not sure about very late at night. As mentioned, when sailing under low bridges the deck will be closed - but, depending on the river and number of bridges, it isn't closed for long.

Hope you and your sister enjoy your trip! We came home from our first RC and immediately booked 2 more!!!!

We have taken 2 Viking cruises, going on the Rhine in December and France next August, what I enjoyed about Viking is their friendliness and service. We went on Portraits of Southern France last November and it was great. A few river glitches due to the high water but everything worked out. We bought wine everyday in the towns we visited and Viking does not have a corkage fee. We would bring our own wine and also drink Vikings wine at dinner, and it was always very good. We would order the cheese platter every night at dinner, have it brought to us after dessert and take it to the upper deck, sit and relax with a bottle of wine or two. The upper deck was also the spot to gather and enjoy a Cuban cigar with an after dinner drink too. We traveled with another couple and sat at the same table of 4 every night, we had the same waiter Michael every night and he took care of us and went out of his way to make sure we were satisfied, I highly recommend Viking and would not consider another river cruise company.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

We have just got off a fabulous week on the Viking Sun, it is hard to get back to reality. We loved every minute of it, especially sitting out on the top deck when ever possible. Having an after dinner drink up there is perfection!

It was one of our favorite cruises. We took the Viking Sun from Basel to Amsterdam. I'd do it again! Here's a

of the trip. Be sure to visit Colmar. It's one of the most beautiful cities I've ever seen. Edited by gymnast46