On Board computer access

Vegamatic

I have a bit of an odd question. I know internet access is available. Does anyone know if the on board computers have Microsoft Word, or another similar office program? My daughter will need to take a few hours on our upcoming cruise to do some work on a summer college course, and we are trying to determine if she will need to bring her laptop.

Thanks

I usually bring my own laptop since it has all the software and files, or documents that I need for school also. I really haven't paid attention to the PC's in the internet lounges, except for printing boarding passes, checking emails or surfing the net when the laptop is in the room. As a word of advice, it's best to get schoolwork done first thing in the morning around 6:00am or so before most people get up and go about the ship, or the days activities start. I have found that near the internet cafes, or on the Lido, or another higher deck near the satellite dishes are the best areas for a consistent signal. The internet will not be as fast as you may expect at home, so its best just to use the service for uploading or downloading documents, and not actually using it to complete work. I download the assignment, work offline, and then upload the document, or copy and paste the completed work into the schools assignment text box. Hopefully this helps, and she's able to do the work, and enjoy the cruise.

She will need to bring a laptop. If she needs to get onto the internet, best time to get on is either early in the morning or late at night. Even then, the internet is slow. Or better still, once in port, go find an internet connection. You might be able to find one near the pier.

OP thanks for asking the question. We go on our cruise in late August. Our son will be taking online courses for Fall Semester. It looks like classes will start the week we're on the cruise. So, he'll need to have Internet access.

My question: Is there anywhere on the ship he should bring his laptop for a quicker connection?

Thanks!:)

OP thanks for asking the question. We go on our cruise in late August. Our son will be taking online courses for Fall Semester. It looks like classes will start the week we're on the cruise. So, he'll need to have Internet access.

My question: Is there anywhere on the ship he should bring his laptop for a quicker connection?

You're gonna be paying out the wazzu on Internet time. The "quick" and surefire Internet access is prioritized for the ships operations. The scraps (and very very slow speeds,,,think back to dial up modem speeds) are sold to the passengers.. The speeds will be in the kbps range NOT Mbps range

Yes bring your own laptop and BEWARE….of very high internet cost and it will be slow as a turtle walking across quicksand (that’s not joking). Most ports have free Wi-Fi, follow the crew or ask them they know the best places.

You know, I've found the on-board internet to be SO SLOW as to be virtually unusable... By the time a page loads, you forget what you were going there for. :confused: (or maybe it's just me??? :rolleyes: )

Seriously, I would make a plan to hit the internet cafes at your port stops.

I agree, the Internet is so slow on board! I bought a package of wifi minutes on my last cruise and almost all of them were used up just trying to get a page to load. They actually credited me back for the package because they could see how much trouble I had with it. I would try to go to a free wifi place in port if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What ship? Breeze actually had a decent connection. They had an unlimited package I was using the connection for a lot and it worked quite well. Can't say that for the other ships though.

i don't think they have this anymore...atleaat thats what i've been told

I have had school work to do on all of our cruises. I download everything I need ahead of time when possible. I complete the work offline and only go online to upload the assignments. At times the connection is slow but I usually did most of my stuff late at night. Good luck to your DD. I have one more semester to go. Hopefully. Hoping to celebrate class free on our Hawaii Cruise in Jan.

All of you have my respect because I know for a fact that I would never be disciplined enough to do work or school assignments while on vacation!

LOL, yes it takes discipline and dedication, especially while on vacation. I usually plan for a the week in between classes, but the my last cruise, and the one coming up will be in the middle to end of the session. I try to get the work done before I leave, and then submit it early, or submit it while I'm on the ship. Either way, I let the Professor know the first week of class of my vacation plans, along with the "issue" of connectivity onboard. I haven't had a problem with getting the work done due to connection issues, although it can drive you bonkers sometimes. I'm a night owl and early riser, and can work off of a few hours sleep. I'm up at 5:30-6:00 doing schoolwork while on vacation, and I'm usually done by 8:00 or so. Its only maybe one or two days of doing this, and if the class requires extensive reading, I load the book on my iPad, or bring the book with me and make it my onboard reading. Good luck to everyone taking classes during their cruise or vacation.