Opinions on Remy, Please

perkyblue

I have only sailed on Disney once before, and that was on Magic when she only had Palo for specialty dining. We did the Palo brunch on that cruise and loved it so much we went back a second time later in the week.

Is Remy really worth the $75 pp upcharge? Is it much better than Palo? I had been planning to skip it after seeing how expensive it is, but then a friend of mine said that dining at Remy was the best part of her entire cruise. I'm hesitant to pay so much, but don't want to miss out if it's truly an amazing experience. Any thoughts on brunch vs. dinner at Remy? I was thinking brunch might be a good way to try it without spending quite so much money.

I have only sailed on Disney once before, and that was on Magic when she only had Palo for specialty dining. We did the Palo brunch on that cruise and loved it so much we went back a second time later in the week.

Is Remy really worth the $75 pp upcharge? Is it much better than Palo? I had been planning to skip it after seeing how expensive it is, but then a friend of mine said that dining at Remy was the best part of her entire cruise. I'm hesitant to pay so much, but don't want to miss out if it's truly an amazing experience. Any thoughts on brunch vs. dinner at Remy? I was thinking brunch might be a good way to try it without spending quite so much money.

They are night and day. Remy would earn at least one, possibly two Michelin stars on land. Palo wouldn't earn any.

Remy is world-class, Palo is a nice diversion. Frankly there is only one restaurants in the Orlando area that would compare, one is Victoria and Alberts--which was the inspiration for Remy, and who's executive chef designed the menu for Remy.

I've dined at Michelin starred restaurants around the world, and Remy can hold it's own with the best of them.

It is not just dinner, it is an experience. If you have the opportunity and skip it because of a few bucks, your loss.

I hope that helps. :)

ETA--If I could only do one, I would choose the dinner over the brunch. Have brunch at Palo, dinner at Remy.

Edited by ducklite

I have had Palo and Remy Brunch and Dinner. Palo is a really nice Italian style meal, great food a loverly experience very personal service, the brunch is awesome the dinner attentive and well cooked.

Remy is another level it's dinner theatre a full evenings experience fine dinning French style very personal very inspired, yes it's well worth the $75pp up charge plus tip and plus any booze it is different to Palo yes better but that doesn't mean Palo us bad it's not it's very good still. Everyone can cook says Remy, in the film, everyone should find at Remy at least once and there is far DSR far more there than the advertised product.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We liked Remy, but having a food allergy we found them LESS accommodating than the MDRs, which was really disappointing. My dh, who has no allergies, thought it was great, but for me it wasn't worth the upcharge. I wish we had done PALO instead, because I have heard that they are very accommodating of food allergies (and I will try PALO on the Magic). You should also know that if you do the wine pairing the pours are very small.

That being said, we both decided we prefer the chef's counter at Napa Rose to Remy.

Edited by DahliaRW

We liked Remy, but having a food allergy we found them LESS accommodating than the MDRs, which was really disappointing. My dh, who has no allergies, thought it was great, but for me it wasn't worth the upcharge. I wish we had done PALO instead, because I have heard that they are very accommodating of food allergies (and I will try PALO on the Magic). You should also know that if you do the wine pairing the pours are very small.

That being said, we both decided we prefer the chef's counter at Napa Rose to Remy.

Interesting.........

Did you inform them in advance of the allergy?

I have an allergy to Fish Seafood anything that lived in the water.

I told them in advance, I had my own designed menu for dinner and brunch which was very good. IE for the five course fixed menu they took all the fish etc out and replaced it with great food alternatives.

Interesting.........

Did you inform them in advance of the allergy?

I have an allergy to Fish Seafood anything that lived in the water.

I told them in advance, I had my own designed menu for dinner and brunch which was very good. IE for the five course fixed menu they took all the fish etc out and replaced it with great food alternatives.

Yup, they knew. They just weren't good with gluten allergies. In the MDR it was "tell us what you want and we'll make it happen" (even at breakfast and lunch). Our Remy waiter started with "you can't have xxx or xxx or xxx as we can't make it gf". Very dissapointing. And the bread was the same as the MDRs (there is much better gf bread out there), they didn't have gf crackers for the cheese course, etc. All very easy things to have that they didn't.

We had the opposite experience. I have multiple food allergies (I carry an Epi-Pen everywhere) and they had absolutely no problem accommodating me.

The wine pairing pours are 2-3 ounces, which is standard for this type of meal. It would be unrealistic to pour 4-6 ounce pours with seven plus courses--you'd be crawling out of the place at the end of the meal!

Maybe we hit an "off" sailing. And yes, I know the wine pours are typical, but not everyone does, we absolutely hated one of the wines we got as part of the pairing and ended up wishing we had just bought glasses (we split a flight of wine because of the quantity issue - we both don't drink often and were worried about it being too much).

Edited by DahliaRW

Yup, they knew. They just weren't good with gluten allergies. In the MDR it was "tell us what you want and we'll make it happen" (even at breakfast and lunch). Our Remy waiter started with "you can't have xxx or xxx or xxx as we can't make it gf". Very dissapointing. And the bread was the same as the MDRs (there is much better gf bread out there), they didn't have gf crackers for the cheese course, etc. All very easy things to have that they didn't.

Yes disappointing. They accommodated me and if they can on ship in MDR they should there.

Your allergy report is disappointing, but is at least not typical. One hint with allergies--call Remy a day or two in advance to be sure they understand your needs. Do not assume they got the info from the MRD staff or the computer.

Back to OP's question....I would view Palo as a "nice" restaurant similar to something we might do on land occasionally. Remy is more the very expensive, "I wouldn't choose this except for something VERY special" kind of place. I'm not even aware of anything in the city where I live that compares to Remy, although there are a couple places with chefs/owners who would like to pretend that they do. It is really more of an "experience" than a meal.

We loved Remy and would have actually gone back for a second night if it had been available! Our waiter was a delight and we enjoyed the wine pairings. I think we must have been a fun table, because we got an extra pour or two of some of the wines! It was truly a memorable experience.

The brunch was good, but did not hold a candle to the dinner. Also, the brunch food was more exotic in some ways. I really enjoyed it, being a foodie, but there were a few courses where my companions did not want to try it or did not find it pleasing to their tastes.

We always enjoy Palo's, for the service and the food quality. Brunch at Palo's is amazing.

I will say that I think on the Magic, since there is not a Remy's, the food was better than on the Fantasy Palo. I don't know if others have that same opinion or it was just not having had Remy's and then comparing the two.

I think Remy's is more than worth the money. Also, I have a food intolerance/allergy and Remy's handled it the night of, although it was mentioned while booking, etc. I will say that my intolerance is pretty easy to deal with and there were even times in the MDR that the waiter had to tell me what I could and could not have. But, they were always helpful and would offer up additional choices.

Just because I'm one of "those" people' date=' the restaurants are "Palo" and Remy."[/quote']

Little known titbit; "Palo" is named for the poles in Venice that the boats tie up to. Notice the decor in Palo (especially on the classic ships) and its reflective of Venice. Lots of poles, "murano" glass and painted masks. So yes, when referring to Palo it wouldn't be possessive.

Your allergy report is disappointing' date=' but is at least not typical. One hint with allergies--call Remy a day or two in advance to be sure they understand your needs. Do not assume they got the info from the MRD staff or the computer.

[/quote']

Yes, we contacted them, they knew. We walked in, sat, and the waiter asked, "you have a gluten allergy right?" and I confirmed. Then he gave us the menus and then proceeded with the "what you can't have" list.

Little known titbit; "Palo" is named for the poles in Venice that the boats tie up to. Notice the decor in Palo (especially on the classic ships) and its reflective of Venice. Lots of poles, "murano" glass and painted masks. So yes, when referring to Palo it wouldn't be possessive.

Unless using it in a possessive manner--ie, "Palo's decor is reminiscent of Venice." ;)

Yes, we contacted them, they knew. We walked in, sat, and the waiter asked, "you have a gluten allergy right?" and I confirmed. Then he gave us the menus and then proceeded with the "what you can't have" list.

Very disappointing....but at least not the way we've seen allergies handled. I'm so sorry for you.

Maybe I'm just rude, but you'd think that for a $75 upcharge, they'd warn you in advance if you had an allergy that was just not compatible with their system!

We had Palo brunch and dinner & Remy dinner on the Dream.

We adored Remy. My husband wanted to offer to wash dishes if Chef would teach him how to make such perfectly fluffy gnocchi! It is just "more" than Palo. A foodie must-do.

And we enjoyed Palo very much. I'm hoping to get reservations for brunch and dinner on our next Wonder cruise. But if Remy was on Wonder, I would book it again, too.

Very disappointing....but at least not the way we've seen allergies handled. I'm so sorry for you.

Maybe I'm just rude' date=' but you'd think that for a $75 upcharge, they'd warn you in advance if you had an allergy that was just not compatible with their system![/quote']

Yeah, no kidding. I'm glad others have not had the same experience, but I don't think I've heard from anyone else who has done Remy with just a gluten allergy. In hindsight I guess I should have written and complained to DCL. But I've heard great things about being gluten free and Palo, so I'm excited to try that on the Magic!

in January on the Dream. Food was ok - service sucked. Waiter's were too busy paying attention to a couple that probably left a better tip since the only tip I left was the service sucked. Was never offered wine pairings, had to ask for coffee at the end of the night, hurried out of there...just not worth it.

Palo, on the other hand was wonderful, service as it was supposed to be etc. Found out, the next night that our Palo server was the wife of our MDR server :) That said she had trained at some of the nicer restaurants in the area that we live so I suspect her service was great for everyone!

Back on the Dream in a few weeks with the grandkids. Have asked for the same server in the MDR - because he was a "dream". Will skip both specialty restaurants since this is the grandkids first cruise on Disney I want to experience all of it with them.

We've eaten at various specialty restaurants on various cruise lines. With that being said, when we ate at Remy's last year on the Dream, it was the first time that I forgot that I was dining in a restaurant on a ship. The experience was well worth the $75 pp charge.