Adventure of the Seas - Problems

Ive just returned from a baltics cruise and can honestly say we had a fantastic time. I felt that our cabin (a family ocean cabin up front ) for us was great it had 2 windows and we would often sit and watch the world go by. We have 2 boys 8 and 5 and we never saw much of them as they spent most of the time in kids club and really enjoyed it. I can see epeople have had problems and understand there frustrations at trying to get a suitable answer, for us we never had problems so cant make a comment on that. The crew worked really hard, the food to me I really enjoyed, the shows to me were to me me ranging from ok to really good, some I didnt go to as didnt really appeal to me. The one thing I did notice and that was some peoples manners which I think they must have left at home but I think you will always find that. The one thing I did notice was that when sat in bar areas say in blue moon only once were we asked if we wanted a drink now this didnt matter to us as we dont drink alot but some it may do. So all in all to those worried about cruising on aos I say go with it as we as a family had a great time and we also had great ports of call so that helped. Any questions please feel free to ask. And now to look for another cruise the hubby has agreed yeah

My intentions are never to make anyone's blood boil. I don't even look at where the poster is from, so please don't pin that on me.

I've been on the Adventure before: a b2b with a transatlantic. I did not experience the same problems. I sail on RCCL at least twice a year; this year 4 cruises, including the Adventure later this year. I have found that my experiences over 4 decades with RCCL just don't reflect the level of dissatisfaction that I read about here.

Sorry but to quote, you did say 'No, I think it's just people being picky about things' and there are others who I will quote saying 'So, stop complaining and just appreciate that you can afford to cruise' - comments like that make my blood boil.

Just because you haven't experienced issues, it doesn't mean others haven't and so to dismiss others comments as being picky is unfair.

I am just off the AOS after a Baltic cruise and although this was our first cruise so have nothing to compare it with, we had no real complaints with anything on board other than some of the extremely rude guests that were on board.

We enjoyed the ships facilities and services. We thought the staff done a great job and I was pleasantly surprised after reading on here that staff remember your name and what your drinking is actually true. We were always offered drinks in every bar.

From what you have written, you have enjoyed Adventure enough to keep booking her. My question for you is: based on the fact that you do several weeks in a row at one time, could that account for the 'issue of repetitve' when it comes to food. Realistically, they have a 7 day menu -- so each Sunday to Saturday will repeat and when you are on the ship for 2 ,3 or 4 weeks in a row, you know what to expect on the menu.

Just curious to hear back....

I knew that the food would be repetitive so that didn't bother me very much. If I really liked something from the first week, I would order it again the next week and if it was a menu that didn't really appeal to me then I just tried something different. If our tablemates said something was really good then we would try it the following sailing. We had an excellent waiter named Anthony Navarro. He was entertaining and very professional at his job. He always had a smile on his face and it was because of him that we wanted to eat in the MDR every evening. We also had wonderful table mates. That also made our experience great.

Truthfully, we book this ship because of her itinerary. I have also enjoyed being on the Adventure because there are a lot of repeat cruisers who sail on her each year. But most of all, as long as it is warmer than Canada, I am a happy cruiser.

As I mentioned earlier, I was on the same sailing with peteukmcr, and he certainly is a man of patience, as during the times that we spent together, he never brought up his problems. However he has presented some pretty obvious problems on this forum, and from what I know of him, he is a good and honest person, one that would not make a fuss, unless one was needed.

I had another friend that was on the same sailing, in a GS, and was going to stay on for a B2B2B. His couch was a mess. He complained, and housekeeping cleaned it. It made no difference, still looked terrible. I had someone onboard, an officer in the hotel department, and asked him to take a look and give me his opinion. I simply said that if I were in that GS, I would be raising holy you know what, he agreed, and told my friend that on turn around day, he would get another couch.

My friend wrote to me later, stating that on turn around day in Southampton, they simply switched couches with another cabin. He now had a new looking couch, and someone in a GS a few doors down, had his!

One would think that they would have an extra, down in the upholstery department so that a switch like that would not have occurred.

I will also say, that the GS's on Adventure certainly need updating. They look rather tired. On the other hand, we had an OS, with brand new carpeting, and everything looked good in our cabin.

Rick

Thanks for the support Rick and I agree for the price paid the GS's need updating, especially the couches which are very tired and worn, but then again they now have a PS3!

Like anything in life, some people's expectations will be met, some will not, while other's expectations will be exceeded. For me it's about whether or not it seems that my expectations will be met based on the ship itself. Not the reviews. Every cruise I have been on has not been perfect, but it's been a memorable experience. I guess it's because I enjoy cruising that much, that it would basically take the ship having a major disaster to really bother me to the point of having a mostly negative opinion.

Do you like the description of the ship and what it has to offer? Do you like the itinerary? Does it fit your budget? If you answered yes to these questions, then reviews are irrelevent. Do it and form your own opinion.

I spoke with my friend Roy again last night and read him some of the comments here on this "AOS Problems" thread..I asked for his comments...at first he said nothing...then after I pressed him, he said, "don't you find it disturbing that ALL FOUR OF US thought the MDR food was average/ mediocre and entertainment the same?" .."Yes", I replied, "I DO find that pretty bad"..."what I found worse is that you said you wouldn't cruise the AOS with us next Nov 2015 EVEN IF IT WAS FREE"...."correct" he calmly said..."but what about some of these people saying the AOS was wonderful & MDR was fine, and "would sail her again in a heartbeat" OR "have booked her already again" ???? Roy, said, "good for them..I've done 15 cruises on RCI ( 8x), Celebrity ( 5x), NCL & Princess ( both once), and this ship was by far the worst we've sailed...great ports, but never again on the AOS"...We are going for the ports, and my wife said "I don't care about the ship nor the food..we'll get by.."...We are Diamond, so I guess we can always go before dinner and have some appetizers & drinks..BTW, anyone been to the new Diamond Lounge? I was on the new one on the Liberty Of The Seas 18 months ago..nice, but small...

Big Al

I knew that the food would be repetitive so that didn't bother me very much. If I really liked something from the first week, I would order it again the next week and if it was a menu that didn't really appeal to me then I just tried something different. If our tablemates said something was really good then we would try it the following sailing. We had an excellent waiter named Anthony Navarro. He was entertaining and very professional at his job. He always had a smile on his face and it was because of him that we wanted to eat in the MDR every evening. We also had wonderful table mates. That also made our experience great.

Truthfully, we book this ship because of her itinerary. I have also enjoyed being on the Adventure because there are a lot of repeat cruisers who sail on her each year. But most of all, as long as it is warmer than Canada, I am a happy cruiser.

Like anything in life, some people's expectations will be met, some will not, while other's expectations will be exceeded. For me it's about whether or not it seems that my expectations will be met based on the ship itself. Not the reviews. Every cruise I have been on has not been perfect, but it's been a memorable experience. I guess it's because I enjoy cruising that much, that it would basically take the ship having a major disaster to really bother me to the point of having a mostly negative opinion.

Do you like the description of the ship and what it has to offer? Do you like the itinerary? Does it fit your budget? If you answered yes to these questions, then reviews are irrelevent. Do it and form your own opinion.

Good to hear the points of view of the these two individuals and it is sad to read of some things that do happen on a ship to make someone vacation cruise 'less happy'.

When things ordered are not delivered or a sofa in a suite (or even a smaller cabin) is in poor condition all the cruiser can do is take some appropriate action to remedy the situation....it can't be alleviated, it has already happened. You also cannot change company policy. I work in retail and merchandise returned that is damaged is too often simply put back on the sales floor (company policy follows that 'maybe the next customer, won't mind as much) -- it would not be my policy, but it is for the company I work for.

Some people hold the cruise line accountable for things it has no control over....the weather, rude fellow cruisers; from my POV -- get over things that happen. Don't let them negatively affect your vacation.....YOU have control over that and having the best time.

Let me share a story -- On one of our early cruises I lost an earring. It wasn't an expensive one, nor a family heirloom, but it was an earring I wore a lot and loved to wear. I said nothing to the room attendant, but she saw me very carefully looking around the cabin (by the door -- all over). She asked me what was the problem and I told her I lost my earring and showed her the other one. I told her it wasn't expensive and could be replaced. After a while at my husbands urging we left to do other things. I remained annoyed at myself for my carelessness. A day goes by and my cabin steward stops me in the hallway and puts something in my hand. It was my earring. She found it a little bit down the hall from our cabin. She did not want to just leave it in the room, thinking I would not realize it was the missing one. I tried to give her a 'thank you tip' and she refused it. I had the ability to correct that, by leaving a larger tip in the room when we left. Since I had heard that they needed to 'share tips' I left her two envelopes....one was for her and her alone for finding the earring. Then a letter went to the home office about her.

I have choices on how to look at my experiences.

Thanks for the support Rick and I agree for the price paid the GS's need updating, especially the couches which are very tired and worn, but then again they now have a PS3!

Pete, we've not met but I have always appreciated your posts. Can I third the comments re GS, we had 1252 in July last year (we were upgraded but still paid a sizeable sum) and it was tired and worn, drawers did not shut properly, big stain on wall of cabin. There were also minor issues re housekeeping but in all fairness everything was addressed. Not sure what I think about the concierge ... don't mean to be cryptic just had mixed feelings.

Hope you will still continue to post!

As I mentioned earlier, I was on the same sailing with peteukmcr, and he certainly is a man of patience, as during the times that we spent together, he never brought up his problems. However he has presented some pretty obvious problems on this forum, and from what I know of him, he is a good and honest person, one that would not make a fuss, unless one was needed.

I had another friend that was on the same sailing, in a GS, and was going to stay on for a B2B2B. His couch was a mess. He complained, and housekeeping cleaned it. It made no difference, still looked terrible. I had someone onboard, an officer in the hotel department, and asked him to take a look and give me his opinion. I simply said that if I were in that GS, I would be raising holy you know what, he agreed, and told my friend that on turn around day, he would get another couch.

My friend wrote to me later, stating that on turn around day in Southampton, they simply switched couches with another cabin. He now had a new looking couch, and someone in a GS a few doors down, had his!

One would think that they would have an extra, down in the upholstery department so that a switch like that would not have occurred.

I will also say, that the GS's on Adventure certainly need updating. They look rather tired. On the other hand, we had an OS, with brand new carpeting, and everything looked good in our cabin.

Rick

I will second that, I was on the same cruise and AOS needed some help, When things are not right something needs to be said, we all love RCCL but they need to return that loyalty with proper service when things are not right.