Favorite Excursions

rbelfi

While listening to a podcast this morning the person being interviewed was asked about their favorite excursion if they could pick any port of call? So I figured I'd post here and see where this goes!

I'm the same way, that and just relaxing at the beaches that are wayyyy nice then what we have here in NJ! Wanted to see what I'm "missing out on" haha

I have 2 all time favorites:

1. In Alaska it was a helicopter ride out to a glacier and walk around for 2 hours.

2. Zip lining in the rain forest in St. Lucia.

I've had other good ones but those were my 2 most memorable.

wasiii

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Titou Gorge in Dominica

as part of Bumpiing Tours - Roseau Valley Treasures Tour

We've been on lots of cruises to lots of places ... but this has to be our ALL-TIME favorite ... for the following reasons:

* Levi was the best tour guide EVER ... and so accommodating to ALL our requests

* we were the ONLY ones (NO ship or private tours) able to get into Titou Gorge ... due to the heavy rainfall causing rough flow from the falls coming out

* Levi SCALED the walls and PULLED everyone having difficulties through ... including one of my young sons ... and even those of us who can NOT swim ... but I NEVER felt unsafe

* absolutely SPECTACULAR ... so glad we didn't miss it!!

* this tour also included snorkeling at the Champagne reef ... along with many other beautiful stops

* air-conditioned van with a small group ... drinks included too ... just a perfect day for those wanting an ACTIVE shorex with the family :)

Edited by chiapet

On the big island of Hawaii we took the POA sponsored crater hike and Akaka falls excursion. It was one of the best days of my life. We were a small group of 8 and we hiked down into, across and up the other side of a volcano. It was awe inspiring. The falls were lovely as well, but being at the bottom of a volcano was amazing.

Second to that was our Taku Lodge flightseeing trip in Juneau. Oh wait, that's probably tied with our helicopter tour in Kaua'i. Both trips people were in tears from the beauty of it all.

Barbados-Dawn repo cruise this past November.

We booked an excursion through a private company, included touring Earth Works Pottery factory, interacting with and feeding green monkeys in the wild and 3 hours on a beautiful beach. Absolutely wonderful way to spend the day and the memories will last a lifetime!

Edited by momoftwinteens

Many cruises equal many tours; some guided, some on our own but THE best for me was an unexpected gift from our kids on our Hawaii Cruise. They paid for us to go on a Helicopter tour of Kauai. Awesome!!!!!!!!!!

On our honeymoon cruise we took a submarine tour in Barbados. We went down 300 feet and hung out right on the reef. We saw sea turtles, fish of all kinds, rays and sharks. The reef itself was beautiful and alive. I told my wife if I was a fish this is where I would want to live! A walk on the moon wouldn't have been any more interesting. Good times!

Edited by culinarc

The best tour ever was an NCL sponsored one from Florence, Italy to the Cinque Terra. It was one of the most amazing days of my life. Second to this was sunrise at Haleakela in Hawaii

My husband says his favorite was in Belize when our snorkel/ dive tour was cancelled ( I don't dive). He found a local vendor to dive with so they ( my sister and her husband) ended up taking a helicopter over to another island and dived. He said it was amazing while my non canceled snorkel portion the boat died, twice.

On our own recently we did a tour ourselves of Funchal a place I didn't even new existed before the cruise. We walked through town and took the cAble car up where we toured the botanical gardens with our twin toddlers. I have fond memories of my kids liking the placards in front of the amazing art and my son chasing a swan who was not keen of him. ( He was devastated when I made him stop chasing the swan). We then took a toboggan down the hill to which I have an amazing picture of my kids with the hair flapping in the wind. ( over priced photo but the memory is priceless). We topped it of with some Madeira wine tasting and a walk along the port. I never would have visited this place if it wasn't for the cruise so it is my number one cruise excursion.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

A big list, lots of fun excursions out there:

Alaska -

We also took the helicopter in Alaska to Mendenhall glacier and walked on the glacier. Took a float plane into the Misty Fjords and landed - and then took off - on a lake. Took the train up into Canada and the Yukon. Toured Butchart Gardens, the most beautiful garden I have ever seen.

Hawaii -

Took a plane ride around Kuwaii - absolutely beautiful. No other excursions, rented a car everywhere else - made our own excursions:)

Europe -

Tours of Pompeii, the Amalfi coast, and all the lovely villages along the way. The best of Rome, Florence, San Gimignano, and the hill towns of the Cinque Terre. Avignon and Provence, Cannes, Nice, Eze, Monte Carlo in France. Montserrat and Barcelona in Spain.

The Baltics mostly on our own but a fantastic 2 day excursion in St. Petersburg, Russia.

On our Asiatic cruise out of Venice, excursions in Split Croatia, Athens, Greece, Ephesus, Turkey.

The Caribbean -

Lamanai in Belize, Tulum in Mexico, Virgin Gorda Baths, in BVI. A catamaran excursion in Antiqua. Lots of scenic island excursions on lots of islands.

And DH has gone on dive excursions in Hawaii, Honduras, USVI, BVI, Mexico, Bahamas, Bermuda

We have really enjoyed our excursions hard to pick one:D

I'm glad you started this thread. I love going to the beaches and shopping.

On our next cruise my grown daughters would like to take the Swimming with the Dolphins excursion. At first I was like, that sounds fun. Then someone told me about dolphin rape. I thought he was just joking but then I googled it and read of some people that claim that they were attacked and humped by them.:eek:

Has anyone taken this excursion and is this a bunch of bs or is it valid. :confused:

Ship Sponsored: Hiking tour of Corfu, Greece. Stunningly beautiful!

Private: Shoretrips to South Shore Zipline and then the best snorkeling I have every done

Joe Knows in St. Lucia - Fully day boat tour - snorkel, mudbath at volcano, lunch, waterfall, guides we SO much fun!

I'm glad you started this thread. I love going to the beaches and shopping.

On our next cruise my grown daughters would like to take the Swimming with the Dolphins excursion. At first I was like, that sounds fun. Then someone told me about dolphin rape. I thought he was just joking but then I googled it and read of some people that claim that they were attacked and humped by them.:eek:

Has anyone taken this excursion and is this a bunch of bs or is it valid. :confused:

I've never heard of Dolphin rape!?!? But i took when I took my wife on her first cruise we did the dolphin excursion in Tortola and it was amazing!! I've actually done it twice, but since my wife loves dolphins, but never saw one up close I knew she'd never forget it!

The dolphin experiences are all rather tame. I did it in Cozumel at Chankanaab and we booked it ourselves.

I love Maya Chan in Costa Maya...a relaxing day on the beach being totally catered to.

Swimming with the stingrays in Grand Cayman. I was fascinated by them and a little freaked out at the same time! On our next cruise we are doing Shark Ray Alley in Belize. :eek:

Also, one of my best days in port was just walking in Cozumel with DH. We started in the shops on the square, and went farther and farther into town till we got to the really cheap shops where we bargained galore. We bought two hanging hammock chairs for HALF of what one lady on our ship got her one for!!! We ended that perfect day on the square having a Mexican beer at a little bar, then walked back to port. A perfect day.

LAMINAI IN BELIZE----( I agree with the poster above)

HELMET DIVING when they still had it in GRAND CAYMAN-----

DOG SLEDDNG ALASKA--------

THE ROYAL DOLPHIN on ISLA MUJERES off of CANCUN

Edited by REDSONJAMN