Increases in fares, hotel charge, Allegrissimo - it is cheaper to buy a yacht

Skipper Tim

Well, I'm back! A little later than I intended because I stayed on for the next cruise; even with an amended itinerary people cancelled the Black Sea voyage in droves, thus presenting me with a delightfully economical opportunity.

I shall write about it elsewhere but I wanted to express my gratitude to you all for your invaluable advice re MSC and the Italian approach to queuing; we were in Santorini along with the Fantasia and a couple of other ships. You can imagine the vast hordes of people trying to get the funicular down from Thira.

I took one look and walked straight past them all to the ticket desk, waved my voucher, ignored a couple of complaining Australians, and was down at the quay ten minutes later :D

I'd probably still be there without your assistance...

Bravissimo, Willow! Many could learn from your practical 'Italian queuing' example.

Opportunities are there to be seized. I look forward to any report.

Edited by Skipper Tim

This is the yacht that MSC's solo pricing policy has 'forced' me to buy.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

It will be 4 knots instead of 20, no Allegrissimo and the living conditions quite basic - like a 1970's touring caravan really. Still, there is no single supplement, no queues nor irritating deck activities. There will be superb thick-cut bacon and free water at mealtimes. I have invested in Sheffield Silver-plate cutlery and Egyptian Damask table linen so we can slum it in style.

I may return to MSC when they show interest in my custom. In the meantime....

She will be mine in four days time - yippee!

Edited by Skipper Tim

Tim, congratulations! She looks fantastic, and it also looks like better quality orange juice will be served on her.

We have done a fair bit of sailing on similar vessels, but mostly around the west coast of Scotland. Great sailing, but the weather and midges compromise it a bit. My son has just completed a series of sailing courses with the CCF, and based on his willingness to study, and love of the sea, might well be spending his life moving boats or the like!

Enjoy!!

Tim, congratulations! She looks fantastic, and it also looks like better quality orange juice will be served on her.

We have done a fair bit of sailing on similar vessels, but mostly around the west coast of Scotland. Great sailing, but the weather and midges compromise it a bit. My son has just completed a series of sailing courses with the CCF, and based on his willingness to study, and love of the sea, might well be spending his life moving boats or the like!

Enjoy!!

Many thanks Earn!

I started sailing as crew on yacht 'deliveries' as many do - unpaid and initially clueless. Most of it was the wrong place, the wrong time of year, in the wrong direction and on the wrong boat - the stuff owners and their friends were not prepared to do themselves. I studied for my skipper's ticket then I discovered sailing in Greece! The Ionian and Peloponnese has to be the best cruising ground on the planet. If your son is genuinely interested tell him to forget about 'moving boats' and think about being a flotilla skipper or sailing instructor in the Ionian. It can't get much better for quality of life!

I will be sailing 'Thassos' from her current home at Lefkas to Kalamata starting 24th. I hope you will follow our adventure.

This is the yacht that MSC's solo pricing policy has 'forced' me to buy.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

It will be 4 knots instead of 20, no Allegrissimo and the living conditions quite basic - like a 1970's touring caravan really. Still, there is no single supplement, no queues nor irritating deck activities. There will be superb thick-cut bacon and free water at mealtimes. I have invested in Sheffield Silver-plate cutlery and Egyptian Damask table linen so we can slum it in style.

I may return to MSC when they show interest in my custom. In the meantime....

She will be mine in four days time - yippee!

Nice. I like it.

• 3 weeks later...

The day has almost come. I have taken possession of the sailing yacht that will work out cheaper to buy, maintain and sell than a couple of cruises with MSC that I would otherwise have taken had MSC UK fares not gone ballistic.

I hope all my cruising buddies and forum friends will follow our travels. I have set up a dedicated blog site especially for it: blog.millea.com.

We leave for Lefkas tomorrow. Wish us luck and fair winds!

Edited by Skipper Tim

The day has almost come. I have taken possession of the sailing yacht that will work out cheaper to buy, maintain and sell than a couple of cruises with MSC that I would otherwise have taken had MSC UK fares not gone ballistic.

I hope all my cruising buddies and forum friends will follow our travels. I have set up a dedicated blog site especially for it: blog.millea.com.

Bon voyage!

Good luck Tim.

What kind of drinks package have you got? :D

This information about shabby treatment of solo travellers is distressing. I am booked for a cruise with my mother in December, a gift for her 90th birthday. On one previous trip on MSC I had a single cabin, but booked another cabin for my parents. Normally, I travel solo and enjoy that experience. If this is true about not booking single cabins, it is reason enough to take my travel business elsewhere.

A single traveler might not bring in as much on-board revenue, but singles are often free to travel more often, at the last minute, or spend money on additional excursions. The neglect of solo travelers by the cruise industry is short sighted.