Star Princess to Santiago

spunkie4

I would appreciate input from those who have cruised to Santiago.

We will be booking for December 2015 on the Star from LA to Santiago. We will include the land tour following the cruise.

Which side...port or starboard? also, if you can remember your room (we book balcony) and were satisfied or unhappy, I would appreciate your comments.

Thanks.

Shirley

We will be booking for December 2015 on the Star from LA to Santiago. We will include the land tour following the cruise.

Which side...port or starboard? also, if you can remember your room (we book balcony) and were satisfied or unhappy, I would appreciate your comments.

Thanks.

Shirley

You will be going to the port Valparaiso, which is about a 2 1/2 hour drive to Santiago. If you have time visit the coastal area, Vina del Mar and the beach area just to the north. I have to say the area has some of the most beautiful coast line I have every seen, and the restaurants were great. The wine country between the coast and Santiago is also really nice.

Morning sun, port side, evening sun starboard side. See if you can book a balcony cabin on Caribe Deck 10. The balconies are 9'x9' half covered and half uncovered. We were on the Star in 2012 from Rio to SF, then again in 2013 for the 28 day South Pacific, and will be again in 2015 for 32 days. We like the ship.

Just to add, the land side would be on the port side going in that direction, but that is only helpful if you are close enough to actually see land for most of the trip. We've sailed from Valparaiso twice - once to Rio and once to LA - both times on the Star. The Star is our favorite ship, and we love the South America itinerary. I also highly recommend visiting some of the vineyards in the Casablanca Valley in Chile which produces some of the best wines in the world.

We have sailed to South America with stops in Valparaiso twice but both times it was heading up to LA.

The starboard side in your case will get afternoon sun. We had that side this last sailing and it was way too hot to sit out on our deck in the afternoon when the sun was out. So for us we would book a port side for your direction of travel.

You won't see land as it is quite a distance away. But make sure to get out on the balcony cause we always see tons of wildlife.

I have written extensively about each voyage in my blog if you have any questions about the ports and what we did.

Vickie

Thanks.

Shirley

We are also booked for this cruise and and the tour after to Machu Picchu! We have a role call started if you would like to join!!

Thanks for the great question and especially for those who answered. I had no idea about it being too hot on the starboard side when sailing south. Will have to keep that in mind!;)