Need Holland 101, used to Princess

Sailingpeace

I love both cruise lines very much, but I have to say, the Pinnacle Grill is my favorite up charge restaurant at sea. We normally eat there every other night.

After you have sailed HAL, come back and let us know what you think.:)

I enjoy the Grills on Princess and the PG on HAL. I'd give a slight edge to Princess as I prefer the atmosphere more and the menu has a wider variety. That's just my taste, but I'm happy in both.

Sabatini's on Princess far, FAR exceeds HAL's Canneletto in both atmosphere and menu. I look forward to dining at Sabatini's when sailing on Princess. We don't often go to Canneletto, usually only when nothing appeals on the MDR menu.

Thank you California AC.

So after dinner I can have a cappucino for free as I finish my meal ?

Love the morning coffee on Promenade deck, something I would really enjoy, especially since I will probably sail in an inside ( garanteed... So ... Maybe the upgrade Fairy will do something about it ...) thank for the suggestion.

One more question, what would be a good quiet spot to lounger in the shade, and see the ocean, à good place to est camp during sea days ?

Ruth says the cappuccino's aren't free anymore- she cruises more than me. This must be since my Maasdam cruise, so I am sorry to hear that! :(

Have no idea on the Veendam where to set up camp. Perhaps someone else can answer that one.

Have a fun cruise!

AC:D

Ruth says the cappuccino's aren't free anymore- she cruises more than me. This must be since my Maasdam cruise, so I am sorry to hear that! :(

Have no idea on the Veendam where to set up camp. Perhaps someone else can answer that one.

Have a fun cruise!

AC:D

There has been a charge for quite a while now, probably 2 years I'm thinking. There was a thread that went on and on about it when it first happened.

I enjoy the Grills on Princess and the PG on HAL. I'd give a slight edge to Princess as I prefer the atmosphere more and the menu has a wider variety. That's just my taste, but I'm happy in both.

Sabatini's on Princess far, FAR exceeds HAL's Canneletto in both atmosphere and menu. I look forward to dining at Sabatini's when sailing on Princess. We don't often go to Canneletto, usually only when nothing appeals on the MDR menu.

Sabatinis is quite a bit more than Canaletto so of course it would be. That said, I'm not a fan of Canaletto.

I love both cruise lines very much, but I have to say, the Pinnacle Grill is my favorite up charge restaurant at sea. We normally eat there every other night.

After you have sailed HAL, come back and let us know what you think.:)

I bet you haven't tried the tamarind:). I almost book at ship based on the restaurant.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from first cruise with HAL. TracieABD , as asked here is my report.

Larsen, you were right, chances are it won't be my last, baught 2 FCC. :)

Found it very similar to Princess in many ways and enjoyed the little differences. Also the Veendam beeing a smaller ship than some I have sailed on with Princess, it reminded me more of the Sea Princess than the Emerald. Loved that aft or forward was real close when made the mistake to go the other way ;). Enjoyed the full breakfast on last morning , served at 6h15, when MDR not open.

Hard to say what is really different after just one cruise. Demographics older than what I recently saw on Princess, but is that due to itinerary ( Can NE), or the ship, vs Carribean ? Noticed more artwork. Missed beeing able to get a cappucino at buffet ( Lido).:( Loved the beds, but had a just as wonderful one on last few crusies with Princess( the new pillow top ones). Enjoyed MDR menus at night but quality of food was a little irregular. Lunch , for my taste, is better with Princess. Service great on both. Appreciated deciding when to leave cabin on last day, but left early anyway to give stewards more time to get cabins ready for new passengers. But not having a fixed time was more relaxing. Had a wonderful cruise and thinking of doing it again next year, from Montreal instead of Quebec, but if Bruce ( sorry, don't remember his last name) is still CD on Veendam, will do it again from Quebec.

Thank you all for the kind and very informative replies, a well prepared cruise is always better. Happy sailings !

Thanks for the update. Glad you had a good time.

It was the least I could do after getting such great advice. Also asked other questions on the board and got really useful advice and info.

Edited by Sailingpeace

Just back from first cruise with HAL. TracieABD , as asked here is my report.

Larsen, you were right, chances are it won't be my last, baught 2 FCC. :)

Found it very similar to Princess in many ways and enjoyed the little differences. Also the Veendam beeing a smaller ship than some I have sailed on with Princess, it reminded me more of the Sea Princess than the Emerald. Loved that aft or forward was real close when made the mistake to go the other way ;). Enjoyed the full breakfast on last morning , served at 6h15, when MDR not open.

Hard to say what is really different after just one cruise. Demographics older than what I recently saw on Princess, but is that due to itinerary ( Can NE), or the ship, vs Carribean ? Noticed more artwork. Missed beeing able to get a cappucino at buffet ( Lido).:( Loved the beds, but had a just as wonderful one on last few crusies with Princess( the new pillow top ones). Enjoyed MDR menus at night but quality of food was a little irregular. Lunch , for my taste, is better with Princess. Service great on both. Appreciated deciding when to leave cabin on last day, but left early anyway to give stewards more time to get cabins ready for new passengers. But not having a fixed time was more relaxing. Had a wonderful cruise and thinking of doing it again next year, from Montreal instead of Quebec, but if Bruce ( sorry, don't remember his last name) is still CD on Veendam, will do it again from Quebec.

Thank you all for the kind and very informative replies, a well prepared cruise is always better. Happy sailings !

Thx for letting us know. I find both cruiselines are pretty similar.

All rooms have robes standard. You can ask your steward for larger or smaller sizes than the standard ones.

Didn't realize they had different sizes available. Being of the pooh-proportioned variety, I skipped using the supplied bathrobes thinking they only had a standard one-size fits most.

You didn't ask re. the bathroom, but on our one & only cruise on Princess (Ruby) 2 years ago we were surprised at the tiny bathroom with a veranda cabin - on the 3 HAL ships we have sailed, they are much larger. We have not had an inside cabin, but can't imagine they would be any smaller than the ones on the Ruby Princess.

You didn't ask re. the bathroom, but on our one & only cruise on Princess (Ruby) 2 years ago we were surprised at the tiny bathroom with a veranda cabin - on the 3 HAL ships we have sailed, they are much larger. We have not had an inside cabin, but can't imagine they would be any smaller than the ones on the Ruby Princess.
Actually, the inside cabins on HAL have more counter space at the sink than their outside and balcony cabins. You'll have to have a suite category to get more counter space than an inside cabin. The HAL inside cabins do have a larger shower stall than the bathrooms on Princess. On an inside the entire bathroom is bigger on HAL. I did like my suite bathroom arrangement better on Princess than what we had in a HAL Deluxe (now Neptune) suite. Edited by Mary Ellen