Need Holland 101, used to Princess

Sailingpeace

I have only sailed on Princess. Soon to sail on first Holland cruise. Need Holland 101 in comparaison to Princess . All info and advice welcome. Will be traveling solo. Questions:

1. Will cabin be ready when boarding ?

2. I understand I can bring one bottle of wine onboard , correct ?

3. Online registration and printing luggage tags, differences ?

4. Room service ( morning tea) , differences ?

5. Online request for bathrobe ?

6. Onboard laundry facilities ?

7. Luggage drop-off procédures at boarding?

Anything I should do differently getting ready ( paper work etc) , boarding process ?

Thank you.

I have only sailed on Princess. Soon to sail on first Holland cruise. Need Holland 101 in comparaison to Princess . All info and advice welcome. Will be traveling solo. Questions:

1. Will cabin be ready when boarding ? Yes

2. I understand I can bring one bottle of wine onboard , correct ? Yes

3. Online registration and printing luggage tags, differences ? Yes

4. Room service ( morning tea) , differences ? Free Room Service 24/7

5. Online request for bathrobe ? Not sure. Depends on stateroom.

6. Onboard laundry facilities ? No self-service $7/day package available. Neptune Suite laundry is free.

7. Luggage drop-off procédures at boarding? Drop curbside at terminal.

Anything I should do differently getting ready ( paper work etc) , boarding process ? Not sure.

Thank you.

Her is Room Service menu:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=908

Edited by Crew News

We recently sailed HAL after several Princess Cruises.

Major difference--full breakfast in cabin with room service.

Bathrobe was in our stateroom--

Some ships have a laundry room--others do not. Eurodam does not. Check out the deck plan to figure out if your ship does.

Food was better than our last Princess cruise.

We found more similarities than differences.

You didn't mention which ship you will be sailing on or what cabin category you will be in or where you are sailing.

These ships have self service laundries: Ryndam, Statendam, Veendam, Maasda, Zaandam, Volendam, Amsterdam, Rotterdam and Prinsendam.

On the Eurodam, Nieuw Amsterdam, Noordam, Oosterdam, Westerdam and Zuiderdam you have the choice of doing laundry by the Bag or Unlimited. Princes very according to where you sail.

If you are in a PS, SA, SB or SC cabin on any of the above ships, then laundry and dry cleaning is free.

As a rule, the cabins are usually ready by 11:30 AM.

2. I understand I can bring one bottle of wine onboard , correct ?

You can bring as much as you like, but only one bottle per person at embarkation will be free of the corkage charge.

5. Online request for bathrobe ?

All rooms have robes standard. You can ask your steward for larger or smaller sizes than the standard ones.

7. Luggage drop-off procédures at boarding?

Just turn them over to the first porter that approaches your taxi/car. Edited by catl331

1. Will cabin be ready when boarding ? Always has been for us

2. I understand I can bring one bottle of wine onboard , correct ? Yes

3. Online registration and printing luggage tags, differences ? Same

4. Room service ( morning tea) , differences ? Better room service menu on HAL

5. Online request for bathrobe ? Has always just been in cabin waiting

6. Onboard laundry facilities ? On certain ships, the older ones

7. Luggage drop-off procédures at boarding? Same as Princess

Anything I should do differently getting ready ( paper work etc) , boarding process ?

Thank you.

Princess and HAL are the 2 lines we cruise. They are very similar. The muster will be different than you have experienced on Princess. On HAL you go to your muster station which is your lifeboat, and you don't take your life jacket to the muster.

Overall they are quite similar lines. We love them both and would happily sail on either.

1.) Normally the cabins are ready when you board, but on occasion they are not. If that should happen, you will be directed to a public area, and notified when the cabins are ready.

2.) catl331 is correct that you may bring aboard as much wine as you like, but will pay corkage on every bottle after the first. You may also bring wine aboard at ports, but there will be a corkage charge.

4.) There is a full hot breakfast available regardless of cabin. A hang-tag request form will be left on your bed at turn-down, and you may add things that aren't listed. So long as the delivery time is during dining room hours, those additional requests will be delivered.

You can also call for room service in the morning.

5.) Those who answered that every single cabin gets a bathrobe are correct.

6.) Every will have three plans to send laundry out. You can pay by the piece, $20 per bag (higher in Europe), or unlimited at the rate of $7 times the number of days in the cruise (higher in Europe). The 9 smaller HAL ships also have self-service laundries (detergent provided; there is a charge, except on the Prinsendam).

Since several of your questions had conflicting answers, I just wanted to confirm the correct ones.

catl331 is correct that you may bring aboard as much wine as you like, but will pay corkage on every bottle after the first. You may also bring wine aboard at ports, but there will be a corkage charge. /QUOTE]

Our planned cruise in 2015 will also be our first HAL. I am intrigued by this . If you bring more that one bottle on board and you enjoy it in your room you will still be charge a corkage fee??

On our Princess cruise it was quite common for people to use the ships wine glasses and pour from their own stock in the room (which they had brought on board) and bring that just that glass of wine to dinner. Have you seen this done on HAL?

HAL tries to have all cabins ready at 11:30AM. However if the ship has come in late or had a lengthy cleaning due to Noro, the time may be pushed back. I plan my arrival at the pier to coincide with this, so I can take my carry-on luggage immediately to my cabin and then head to lunch.

Edited by socalcruisers2

Our planned cruise in 2015 will also be our first HAL. I am intrigued by this . If you bring more that one bottle on board and you enjoy it in your room you will still be charge a corkage fee??

On our Princess cruise it was quite common for people to use the ships wine glasses and pour from their own stock in the room (which they had brought on board) and bring that just that glass of wine to dinner. Have you seen this done on HAL?

HAL liberal wine policy was amended this year. Only 1 bottle, 750ml or less, per person, in your carryon luggage, will be free of the corkage fee. All others will be charged. Your luggage will be scanned also, to determine if there is contraband. Gone are the days when you could bring on numerous bottles of wine and not get charged.

Edited by socalcruisers2

It's been done on HAL, and probably still is being done. But with the new policy it can't be done beyond one bottle per adult.

Have I seen it done? No, but then I never pay that much attention to what others are doing. I have taken wine bought in a lounge into the dining room so I am not sure how one would detect this unless you see someone leaving their cabin with a glass of wine in hand.

There have been threads where people discussed doing this so I guess it does happen.

HAL liberal wine policy was amended this year. Only 1 bottle, 750ml or less, per person, in your carryon luggage, will be free of the corkage fee. All others will be charged. Your luggage will be scanned also, to determine if there is contraband. Gone are the days when you could bring on numerous bottles of wine and not get charged.

How much is the corkage fee per bottle?

Now that they are charging a corkage charge on embarkation for wine you bring on board, are you free to bring your own bottle of wine to dinner without being charged an additional corkage charge?

On all of our previous HAL cruises, we have brought our own wine and paid the corkage charge in the restaurants and dining room. Personally, I've never been overly impressed with HAL's wine list. I always preferred to bring my own.

Have I seen it done? No, but then I never pay that much attention to what others are doing. I have taken wine bought in a lounge into the dining room so I am not sure how one would detect this unless you see someone leaving their cabin with a glass of wine in hand.

There have been threads where people discussed doing this so I guess it does happen.

We saw it being done on a previous cruise. It happens. Did that lead to HAL changing there policies? Who knows. We still prefer to bring our own wine even w the corkage

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Huskerchick

Thanks you so much for the answers. I will be sailing on the Veendam, inside ( garanteed so maybe ;) ... ) . Lots of firsts on this cruise; first interior, first solo, first time Holland, first time not having to fly to departure port.

Happy sailings to you all.

Edited by Sailingpeace

How much is the corkage fee per bottle?
$18 currently

Now that they are charging a corkage charge on embarkation for wine you bring on board, are you free to bring your own bottle of wine to dinner without being charged an additional corkage charge?
Your "free" bottle is marked differently than those on which you have paid the corkage. If you bring that one free bottle to any venue outside your room it will be subject to corkage also. Those on which you've already paid the corkage you may take anywhere with no additional charge. Edited by catl331

Sailingpeace...

Depending on how much tea you want from room service be aware that they use small carafes that hold about 2 cups worth of hot water with the tea bags on the side. If you want more that 2 cups simply indicate 4 on your door order sheet (or verbally if you are calling in your order) and you will get two carafes. You can also write in what kind of tea you want if you desire something other that black tea.

Additionally one great difference with HAL is that on disembarkation day you can order room service for breakfast (best done with door card) and HAL really wants you to stay in your stateroom until you color disembarkation group is called.

Have a wonderful 1st cruise on HAL! My guess is it won't be your last.

Edited by larsen

Sailingpeace...

Depending on how much tea you want from room service be aware that they use small carafes that hold about 2 cups worth of hot water with the tea bags on the side. If you want more that 2 cups simply indicate 4 on your door order sheet (or verbally if you are calling in your order) and you will get two carafes. You can also write in what kind of tea you want if you desire something other that black tea.

Additionally one great difference with HAL is that on disembarkation day you can order room service for breakfast (best done with door card) and HAL really wants you to stay in your stateroom until you color disembarkation group is called.

Have a wonderful 1st cruise on HAL! My guess is it won't be your last.

Thank you for the info. Morning tea is a precious little pleasure , especially on a cruise. Breakfast on last day may be a good thing as I plan to try self disembarkation.

Hi, we cruise HAL and Princess too. Here are some of the thing about Hal that are also worth mentioning...

The Promenade Deck has deck chairs on it, and is a very pleasant walk. Sometimes in the morning, we get our room service coffee, then take the tray out to the Promenade. Very relaxing.

The Pinnacle Grill is outstanding, and worth going to one night (not the formal nights, stay in the dining room for the menus on formal night).

Specialty coffee is served after dinner at no charge.

The beds are more comfortable.

They serve dinner on china. A really nice touch.

Have a great cruise! :)

Yes you will see people carrying wine into the dining room. Could be a beer or mixed drink too. If they didn't finish at a bar, in their cabin, on deck etc. some do finish it in the dining room. Not a problem. Won't be common, but if you watch, you will see it.

Hi, we cruise HAL and Princess too. Here are some of the thing about Hal that are also worth mentioning...

The Promenade Deck has deck chairs on it, and is a very pleasant walk. Sometimes in the morning, we get our room service coffee, then take the tray out to the Promenade. Very relaxing.

The Pinnacle Grill is outstanding, and worth going to one night (not the formal nights, stay in the dining room for the menus on formal night).

Specialty coffee is served after dinner at no charge.

The beds are more comfortable.

They serve dinner on china. A really nice touch.

Have a great cruise! :)

Thank you California AC.

So after dinner I can have a cappucino for free as I finish my meal ?

Love the morning coffee on Promenade deck, something I would really enjoy, especially since I will probably sail in an inside ( garanteed... So ... Maybe the upgrade Fairy will do something about it ...) thank for the suggestion.

One more question, what would be a good quiet spot to lounger in the shade, and see the ocean, à good place to est camp during sea days ?

So after dinner I can have a cappucino for free as I finish my meal ?

Sorry to say, those days have ended. There's now a charge for cappuccinos, lattes, espressos, etc. in the dining room. I think it's $1.50 for the capp.

Edited by RuthC

Few other things to note that people haven't mentioned.

Princess pizza beats HAL pizza by a nautical mile.

HAL has specialty Italian restaurant Canaletto on Veendam. It's only $10. It's not as much as Sabatini's on Princess but Sabatini's is much better.

Explorations cafe's has some treats at the counter that are complimentary. Many will think there is a charge. It's the closest thing that HAL has to the International Cafe on Princess, but there is no salads or sandwiches like the IC.