Carnival share price

Tangoqueen

That's good to know Salacia, do you have to hold the shares for any amount of time before you receive a dividend, or does simply having purchased before 16th July count? Thanks in advance

Hi Tangoqueen. I think this quote answers your question better than I could...

When do dividends get paid?

Dividends must be declared (i.e., approved) by a company's Board of Directors each time they are paid. There are four important dates to remember regarding dividends.

• Declaration date: The declaration date is the day the Board of Directors announces their intention to pay a dividend. On this day, the company creates a liability on its books; it now owes the money to the stockholders. On the declaration date, the Board will also announce a date of record and a payment date.
  • Date of record: The date of record is the date on which a company reviews its records to determine exactly who its shareholders are -- an investor must be a "holder of record" in order to receive a dividend payout. A stock will almost always begin trading ex-dividend (or "ex-rights") the second business day before the record date. In other words, only the owners of the shares on or before the ex-dividend date will receive the dividend. If you purchased shares of Coca-Cola on or after the ex-dividend date, you would not receive its upcoming dividend payment; the investor from whom you purchased your shares would.
  • Ex-dividend Date: The ex-dividend date of a stock is the single most important date for dividend investors to consider. To receive a stock's upcoming dividend, an investor must purchase shares of the stock prior to the ex-dividend date.
  • Payment date: This is the date the dividend will actually be given to the shareholders of company." -copied from http://www.dividend.com/dividend-stock-library/dividend_stock_information.php

Salacia's dividend info is solid, as is typical with Salacia. That's what Salacia does. (If I knew if Salacia was male or female, I'd be using "he"s or "she"s...)

Specifically for CCL:

--If you're holding the share overnight from Aug 19 to August 20, you'll get the dividend (25 cents/share) in your account September 12th.

--If the quarterly pattern holds, the magic days to hold the shares are roughly the 20th of August, November, February, and May, with the cash payment showing up on the 12th of the following month. These days are never exact as they get adjusted for weekends, holidays, etc. But if you're buying-and-holding, they should be OK plus or minus a day or two.

--You should expect the share price to drop on the morning of the 20th, at least momentarily, by the amount of the dividend: that 25 cents is getting "sucked out" of the share value and some people will want to sell immediately after they capture the dividend. If the market/share is having a bad day, the drop will be more than 25 cents. If the share/market is having a good day, there may be little drop, no drop, or an increase. But this is a temporary thing and you shouldn't let it faze you. (In fact, serious, long-term investors sometimes use these exact moments to buy shares in companies when they are less interested in dividends and more interested in capital gains.) Just don't get spooked!

Congratulations on your investment, Tangoqueen. Long may you sail.

Thanks, Shawn. BTW, I'm female; my screen name was taken from Roman mythology - unfortunately, however, I am neither a divinity nor a beautiful nymph:) -Salacia

Edited by Salacia

Many thanks both Salacia and Shawnino. I may even treat myself and Mr Tangoking on board in 9 days time to an additional glass of something sparkling to toast the idea of receiving the dividends on my investment. Although that may be counting my chickens before they hatch! This small dabble into the stock market definitely has it's bonuses.

Edited by Tangoqueen

Many thanks both Salacia and Shawnino. I may even treat myself and Mr Tangoking on board in 9 days time to an additional glass of something sparkling to toast the idea of receiving the dividends on my investment. Although that may be counting my chickens before they hatch! This small dabble into the stock market definitely has it's bonuses.

Hi Tangoqueen. Yes, I agree that "a small dabble into the stock market definitely has it's bonuses". I found it to be an educational and interesting process. I never had any illusions that I'd get rich quick by purchasing 100 CCL shares, and I certainly wouldn't have bought the stock if I had any debts to satisfy. I'm just a punter - willing to gamble small scale on the safer bets, on a industry with which I have studied for years as a passenger. I've read advice from 'financial cruise line analyst', and often I wonder what they are smoking, or how much experience they have of being on the sea.

But no matter; you soon sail, and I wish you all the best on your voyage. Enjoy your first voyage as a shareholder, or as we say in NY - You go girl!:)

Cheers,

Salacia

Bought our shares this morning and about to get the info sent for the Princess OBC. When we have paid in fun we will apply for our December QV cruise.

Can anyone tell my why the difference in the OBC amount between US and UK stockholders? On the form from Princess it said the £50(that we will be entitled to) will be converted on the ship, so I guess a poorer rate:rolleyes:. Certainly won't be the $100 the US folk receive. Just wondered.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salacia

Congrats! Please forgive my curiosity, but at what price did you purchase your shares? -S

Sorry about the delay, missed Salacia's original question....Pennbank was quite correct with his comment shares were bought approx 30 June and continued to drop after purchase.....I paid just slightly over £22 per share and they dropped by a fair amount straight after. However, I'm still happy as with less than a month before I was due to cruise I wanted to get them bought and the OBC confirmed. It's a bit like booking the cruise....as soon as I took the decision to book prices dropped then too.

Keep checking my VP to see if I have been upgraded again since becoming a shareholder but no such look lol :D

Are you able to tell me where you bought your 100 shares - I live in Lancashire too!!

Please correct me if I'm wrong (I am often wrong, but sadly never in doubt): I thought the OBC amount is dependent of ship's currency, not dependent on shareholder residency?

Correct, the amounts are published on any of the Carnival sites.

as of today shareholders on P&O UK ships get a better deal as the £60 OBC is equivalent to $102.60 and the £150 equal to $256.50 :D

Edited by davecttr

I have never been given a conversion amount. I have just been given the $100 or the $250 (depending on the length of the cruise). My shares are UK based.

I assume it's because the ship's currency is USA so we are given the US equivalent rates. If any of the Carnival ships operated on sterling, then I guess everyone (Americans as well as Brits) would receive the £60 and £150.

It would be too difficult to convert it. What rates would you take? Would it be the rate when you booked the cruise, the rate when you applied or the rate when the ship sailed (and the amount was therefore credited to you)? Arguments could ensue.

I gave the amount for our cruise length and the OBC says $100 or £50. It wouldn't need to say a £ amount if everyone got the $100 would it? It was just the difference in the 2 that I was querying. With it saying the amount would be converted on the ship I presumed as we are Brits then we would get the £50 converted to $'s, which wouldn't be $100. So you are saying that it would be $100 for the length of cruise(we are on a 9 night) and forget the £50?

Are you able to tell me where you bought your 100 shares - I live in Lancashire too!!

Hi Colin from Lancashire, is that near Halifax (wink! Wink!). I don't think I would be able to say the name as it would be advertising but I did just register through my bank which had a dealing service......the bank is also the name of a place in Yorkshire. There was a small charge for the service but it worked out v competitive.

Edited by Tangoqueen

I gave the amount for our cruise length and the OBC says $100 or £50. It wouldn't need to say a £ amount if everyone got the $100 would it? It was just the difference in the 2 that I was querying. With it saying the amount would be converted on the ship I presumed as we are Brits then we would get the £50 converted to $'s, which wouldn't be $100. So you are saying that it would be $100 for the length of cruise(we are on a 9 night) and forget the £50?

"*The onboard credit for Carnival Cruise Lines, Costa Cruises, Cunard and Princess Cruises is determined based on the operational currency onboard the vessel." - copied from Carnival shareholder benefit pdf http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit

Hi Colin from Lancashire, is that near Halifax (wink! Wink!). I don't think I would be able to say the name as it would be advertising but I did just register through my bank which had a dealing service......the bank is also the name of a place in Yorkshire. There was a small charge for the service but it worked out v competitive.

Oops, looks like I did advertise. Never thought, and now too late to edit. I wish they didn't have the time limit set for editing. This is the only site I have come across it and it can be annoying, even for a spelling mistake you don't notice till coming back on the site, too late to correct it. I will wait for my slapped wrist or whatever punishment will be handed out.

"*The onboard credit for Carnival Cruise Lines, Costa Cruises, Cunard and Princess Cruises is determined based on the operational currency onboard the vessel." - copied from Carnival shareholder benefit pdf http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit

Thanks Salicia. That is what I saw but I seem to be confusing everyone, let alone myself:o. I think I have got it now. The $100 or £50(for the length of my cruise) isn't down to where we live but down to which currency is used onboard the ship. Are there cruise lines that use £'s as their onboard currency?

Thanks Salicia. That is what I saw but I seem to be confusing everyone, let alone myself:o. I think I have got it now. The $100 or £50(for the length of my cruise) isn't down to where we live but down to which currency is used onboard the ship. Are there cruise lines that use £'s as their onboard currency?

Maz, exactly!:)

Yes, there are cruise lines that use the British Pound as their on-board currency, one example would be P&O.

On some ships, it can vary. For instance, Princess says this about their on-board currency: "Unless noted, onboard currency is in U.S. dollars. However, on select Australian-based itineraries, the onboard currency is in Australian dollars." copied from http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/experience.jsp

Thank you all. Apologies for being so dim, I feel a bit silly now but I still think it is not a clear way of Carnival to explain things. Maybe a few other Brits will mistakenly see the information as I did so this will help them too if they see this thread.

Glad it will be $100 and not the onboard conversion of £50. That would probably be not much more than $75 at their poor exchange rate, which was what I was thinking it would be. A few free coffee's for us.

hi colin from lancashire, is that near halifax (wink! Wink!). I don't think i would be able to say the name as it would be advertising but i did just register through my bank which had a dealing service......the bank is also the name of a place in yorkshire. There was a small charge for the service but it worked out v competitive.

cheers!!!!!

Hi Tangoqueen. It sounds as though we go through the same online Yorkshire location.

• 6 months later...
Earlier on the thread someone suggested the price on the 100 shares were appoximately $3800.

If you follow the above link a share price of £2,134.00 is shown.

This would make the 100 shares costing £21,134.00 which does not seem such a good deal.

I know one is in $ and one £ but why the big difference?

Is anyone able to explain to a financial illiterate if I am missing something.

In fact if you had bought Carnival shares at £21,134.00 for a 100 they would now be worth around £30,000.00.

You could have a very nice cruise on that sort of money.

As they say - a nice little earner.

David.