Resident with no passport

FTLCruiseGal

I am traveling with a friend that is a resident and has been for about 10 years. Her passport (France) is expired, but she does have her government issued resident card. As we are departing Fort Lauderdale and returning to Fort Lauderdale, I am wondering if her resident card will be enough, or if she needs to get her passport renewed. I use my birth certificate and drivers' license and have never used my passport and have had no problems. I do not want her to have issues when trying to reenter. Carnival website says depending on the country, they may require a passport. Just wondering if anyone would know the answer to this as I have asked a friend that is a travel agent, and she doesn't know. Thank you in advance.

I dont want to break the rules of this website and I cant remember if I can post a web site.

Just google your question like "do I need a passport to cruise" there is a govt website that will answer your question. Its a US dept of State website.

As far as the US government is concerned, a LPR card is a good as a passport for entering the US, from a closed loop cruise. The problem may lie with the countries visited, the general rules posted on this board, Birth Certificate, ID etc, only apply to US citizens, a LPR card holder is a citizen on another country, so different rules may well apply for countries to be visited.

My wife is a resident and travels with her Portuguese passport. She must present it when we debark after the cruise even with her resident ID.

The agents also make remarks on how she is only with me for residency and why she hasn't become a citizen yet EVERY SINGLE time we cross.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Edited by Not_Done_Living

Because they have a Govt. Issued resident card. Thats why.

Plus. according to the TSA, a Govt issued resident card is an acceptable form of ID.

It is a Resident Card (I'm guessing a Green Card); which means they are a citizen of another country; in this case - France.

If you are living/visiting/traveling to a country other than your own, you should have your passport.

An expired passport may not be a deterrent to a closed-loop cruise but as a foreign citizen, it is your responsibility to keep your documents in order.

OP, if there is sufficient time I would advise your friend to get the passport renewed. It may not be needed for the cruise but it will surely be needed sometime.

My wife is a resident and travels with her Portuguese passport. She must present it when we debark after the cruise even with her resident ID.

The agents also make remarks on how she is only with me for residency and why she hasn't become a citizen yet EVERY SINGLE time we cross.

:eek::eek::eek: That is AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

You will need to check the official immigration sites of the countries the ship will visit - specifically what is their entry requirement for citizens of France. If they require visas for French citizens a current passport is required for that. A "green card" only allows her to re-enter the US.

It's probably going to be a an effort for your friend to get a new passport from a French consulate, but the price of not having required travel documents is denial of boarding.

i JUST became a US Citizen and am waiting for my passport BUT you are right immigration can be a PIA. When we married and applied from a finance visa to a marriage visa they initially turned us down, said we were not really married. Why you ask????

Cause we had NO DEBT in our names. Hubby owned his home free and clear and I came over with alot of money from the sale of my home . They made us go out and get credit. *rolls eyes*

as for he OP - she needs her passport. Even as a legal resident she will still need a passport from France she is a CITIZEN of FRANCE NOT the USA.

According to the TSA website, the US will accept the govt ID. The problem is what about other countries. Will they allow you to enter on a US Resident ID?

I agree that having a passport is a good idea. I have had one since I was 5 and that was 50 years ago! And I agree that the OP's friend should renew theirs asap. But the original question was about an upcoming cruise and if the Resident ID card was sufficient.

TSA isn't involved. They do airport security, not immigration, and their rules are much more relaxed. The agency who does immigration and customs checks at airports, land borders, and cruise terminals is the Customs and Border Patrol (CBP). They have different ID rules and unlike the TSA agents the CBP officers are actual police.

To address the question at hand, this website from the CBP explains passport requirements:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/~/documents-needed-to-take-a-cruise

To summarize, a permanent resident (LPR) does not need a passport to cruise as far as the Americans are concerned, but other countries the ship docks in may require a passport.

Edited by realjd

When my sister was living in the United States on a green card she was required to show her Canadian passport and her green card. Now she is a citizen she still needs a passport because she does not have an American birth certificate.

Sent from my Lenovo B6000-F using Forums mobile app

We often cruise with friends where the husband is a US Citizen and his wife has a Green Card (permanent resident). She is a citizen of Mexico. She keeps her Mexican passport current and is always asked for both her Mexican passport and her US Permanent Resident card when going through Customs and Immigration after every cruise. They always ask her why she has not become a citizen yet. None of their business, but it has to do with her owning quite a bit of property in Mexico along the coast. If she was not a citizen of Mexico then the property would have to be put into a trust and they don't want to do that.

That is a little rude!

This question comes up quite a bit and the answer really is: It depends !

Of course the easiest way to cruise is to have a valid passport and a Permanent Residence Card with you at all times. That is how I do it.

Different people ask for different things and that is where things can get unclear . Carnival wants you to provide valid travel documentation upon check-in so that you can travel to the countries visited on the cruise.

The US border patrol will take a green card but might also ask for a passport.

If seeking to enter the United States after temporary travel abroad, you will need to present a valid, unexpired “green card” (Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card). When arriving at a port of entry, a U.S. Customs and Border Protection Officer will review your permanent resident card and any other identity documents you present, such as a passport, foreign national I.D. card or U.S. Driver’s License, and determine if you can enter the United States.

This forum is not the right place to assure that travel can be completed with an expired passport. Have your friend invest the $ 105 and get a new passport !

This question comes up quite a bit and the answer really is: It depends !

Of course the easiest way to cruise is to have a valid passport and a Permanent Residence Card with you at all times. That is how I do it.

Different people ask for different things and that is where things can get unclear . Carnival wants you to provide valid travel documentation upon check-in so that you can travel to the countries visited on the cruise.

The US border patrol will take a green card but might also ask for a passport.

If seeking to enter the United States after temporary travel abroad, you will need to present a valid, unexpired “green card” (Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card). When arriving at a port of entry, a U.S. Customs and Border Protection Officer will review your permanent resident card and any other identity documents you present, such as a passport, foreign national I.D. card or U.S. Driver’s License, and determine if you can enter the United States.

This forum is not the right place to assure that travel can be completed with an expired passport. Have your friend invest the $ 105 and get a new passport !

A French passport is around $125, but even more when applied for out of the country.

I am traveling with a friend that is a resident and has been for about 10 years. Her passport (France) is expired, but she does have her government issued resident card. As we are departing Fort Lauderdale and returning to Fort Lauderdale, I am wondering if her resident card will be enough, or if she needs to get her passport renewed. I use my birth certificate and drivers' license and have never used my passport and have had no problems. I do not want her to have issues when trying to reenter. Carnival website says depending on the country, they may require a passport. Just wondering if anyone would know the answer to this as I have asked a friend that is a travel agent, and she doesn't know. Thank you in advance.

My wife is a German citizen with an American Resident Alien card. While she does have a valid German passport, she was told not to even worry about bringing it as she must use her Alien Registration Card during the cording procedures. For non-citizen residents, the Green Card is the equivalent of their passport. As a note, as told by INS one time, if a resident leaves the country on their foreign issued passports, they could be denied reentry to the country as it can be assumed (correctly or not) that they have given up their resident alien status.

Okay so what happens if you suddenly have to return home? That was my point. Can you travel on an expired passport?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You have to understand, as a resident alien, the Green card is that person's passport. Now if their green card was expired (they are only good for 10 years), then they would be SOL!

You have to understand, as a resident alien, the Green card is that person's passport. Now if their green card was expired (they are only good for 10 years), then they would be SOL!

No, no, no!

A green card is a green card, a passport is a passport; they cannot be used in lieu of each other.

Here's why your wife was told what you mentioned:

Does travel outside the United States affect my permanent resident status?

Permanent residents are free to travel outside the United States, and temporary or brief travel usually does not affect your permanent resident status. If it is determined, however, that you did not intend to make the United States your permanent home, you will be found to have abandoned your permanent resident status. A general guide used is whether you have been absent from the United States for more than a year. Abandonment may be found to occur in trips of less than a year where it is believed you did not intend to make the United States your permanent residence. While brief trips abroad generally are not problematic, the officer may consider criteria such as whether your intention was to visit abroad only temporarily, whether you maintained U.S. family and community ties, maintained U.S employment, filed U.S. income taxes as a resident, or otherwise established your intention to return to the United States as your permanent home. Other factors that may be considered include whether you maintained a U.S. mailing address, kept U.S. bank accounts and a valid U.S. driver’s license, own property or run a business in the United States, or any other evidence that supports the temporary nature of your absence.

A short visit outside the country, especially a closed-loop cruise will most likely not be problematic.

And while the US government does not need a passport if you have a green card, they have the full legal right to ask for one.

What documents do I need to present to reenter the United States?

If seeking to enter the United States after temporary travel abroad, you will need to present a valid, unexpired “green card” (Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card). When arriving at a port of entry, a U.S. Customs and Border Protection Officer will review your permanent resident card and any other identity documents you present, such as a passport, foreign national I.D. card or U.S. Driver’s License, and determine if you can enter the United States. For information pertaining to entry into the United States, see U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s webpage.

In most cases, a US driver's license should be enough.

The green card applies only for US entry, it wouldn't work for any other country. On cruises, nobody checks passenger documents but they could very well stop anybody and ask for documents.

Edited by hirent

No, no, no!

A green card is a green card, a passport is a passport; they cannot be used in lieu of each other.

Permanent residents are free to travel outside the United States, and temporary or brief travel usually does not affect your permanent resident status. If it is determined, however, that you did not intend to make the United States your permanent home, you will be found to have abandoned your permanent resident status. A general guide used is whether you have been absent from the United States for more than a year. Abandonment may be found to occur in trips of less than a year where it is believed you did not intend to make the United States your permanent residence. While brief trips abroad generally are not problematic, the officer may consider criteria such as whether your intention was to visit abroad only temporarily, whether you maintained U.S. family and community ties, maintained U.S employment, filed U.S. income taxes as a resident, or otherwise established your intention to return to the United States as your permanent home. Other factors that may be considered include whether you maintained a U.S. mailing address, kept U.S. bank accounts and a valid U.S. driver’s license, own property or run a business in the United States, or any other evidence that supports the temporary nature of your absence.

A short visit outside the country, especially a closed-loop cruise will most likely not be problematic.

And while the US government does not need a passport if you have a green card, they have the full legal right to ask for one.

If seeking to enter the United States after temporary travel abroad, you will need to present a valid, unexpired “green card” (Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card). When arriving at a port of entry, a U.S. Customs and Border Protection Officer will review your permanent resident card and any other identity documents you present, such as a passport, foreign national I.D. card or U.S. Driver’s License, and determine if you can enter the United States. For information pertaining to entry into the United States, see U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s webpage.

The green card applies only for US entry, it wouldn't work for any other country. On cruises, nobody checks passenger documents but they could very well stop anybody and ask for documents.

I posted this up thread but you must have missed it. According to the CBP, a green card is sufficient for closed-loop cruises:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/~/documents-needed-to-take-a-cruise

They did warn that it may not be sufficient to enter countries visited on the cruise but that from a US perspective a green card works in lieu of a passport on cruises. This is similar to the relaxed immigration rules for US Citizens on cruises which allow us to use birth certificates and a DL in lieu of a passport.

I posted this up thread but you must have missed it. According to the CBP, a green card is sufficient for closed-loop cruises:

They did warn that it may not be sufficient to enter countries visited on the cruise but that from a US perspective a green card works in lieu of a passport on cruises. This is similar to the relaxed immigration rules for US Citizens on cruises which allow us to use birth certificates and a DL in lieu of a passport.

But those relaxed rules apply to US CITIZENS, key word being citizens - most countries cruise ships visit have the same relaxed rules for visiting US citizens - it's the reason passports weren't necessary until recently.

Legal US resident, or not, the OP's friend is NOT a US citizen so the rules to not apply, what the CBP says does not apply for those countries being cruised to - the US doesn't make the rules for those countries.

This is NOT correct. A green card does not replace a passport.

But those relaxed rules apply to US CITIZENS, key word being citizens - most countries cruise ships visit have the same relaxed rules for visiting US citizens - it's the reason passports weren't necessary until recently.

Legal US resident, or not, the OP's friend is NOT a US citizen so the rules to not apply, what the CBP says does not apply for those countries being cruised to - the US doesn't make the rules for those countries.

Did you actually read the article I linked?

From the CBP website:

If you are a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) of the U.S., the U.S. government does not require you to have a passport for any travel, including air, land or sea travel, however, you are even more likely to be required by your destination country to have one. A Caribbean island that does not require a U.S. Citizen to have a passport may require a U.S. LPR to have one, and a visa as well.

The link again, titled "Documents Needed to Take a Cruise": https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/~/documents-needed-to-take-a-cruise

Edited by realjd

Did you actually read the article I linked?

From the CBP website:

The link again, titled "Documents Needed to Take a Cruise": https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/~/documents-needed-to-take-a-cruise

Did you actually read what you quoted?

If you are a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) of the U.S., the U.S. government does not require you to have a passport for any travel, including air, land or sea travel, however, you are even more likely to be required by your destination country to have one. A Caribbean island that does not require a U.S. Citizen to have a passport may require a U.S. LPR to have one, and a visa as well.

Because, again, the US CBP does not make the rules for foreigners, legal US residents or not, in countries that aren't the US.

Edited by irishnyc

No, no, no!

You believe what you want but I will go with the answers from CCL, NCL, & RCCL as they are the ones who dictate whether or not my wife has the proper paperwork to board a ship, not you. When boarding a ship, the only thing they want from my wife is her green card and that is what they will get.