How is the "free" coffee on Carnival?

LBeeE

This is a funny thread. There are as many opinions as there are coffee drinkers, and you're all correct! I actually own a coffee bar here in the Florida Keys, so lemme 'splain you about the Lido Deck coffee.

The coffee machines in use are known as 'superautomatics'. They're made in Italy (surprise!) and have 3 liter urns inside. The coffee maker monitors the amount in the urn at all times and automatically brews more when the level gets low. It continues to serve even while brewing more.

Her's the thing: Because of the nature of the machine, coffee quality is wildly variable. If you get your coffee while the urn is at mid-level you'll get a good quality, euro-roast (medium dark) cuppa joe that's hot and reasonably fresh.

If you get your coffee just after a brew cycle ended you'll find that the coffee tastes 'thin' and a little cream goes a loooooong way.

If you get your coffee just before a brew cycle starts you'll get strong, bitter coffee that can taste a little 'burnt'. Your normal amount of cream will barely turn the coffee's color.

If you get your coffee while the machine is in a brew cycle, you'll get a mix of the old and the new, resulting in a weak coffee that is surprisingly bitter.

Not only that, because the urns are part of the machine and are in constant use, coffee oils can and do build up in the urn. Employees will run a cleaning cycle on the machine once a day, usually in the wee small hours of the morning. This means that the coffee gradually gets stronger and more stale tasting as the day winds on.

By contrast coffee shops with satellite brewers from Bunn, Cecilware/Grindmaster (the brand I use in the shop), Bloomfield and others will clean the urns after every brew cycle, preserving the unique flavor of every new pot. That's it in a nutshell (coffee bean?). Producing good, *consistent* coffee requires quality equipment and manual intervention.

Coffee in the MDR tastes different because they use a *giant* urn coffeemaker (up to 10 gallons at a time, 5 cycles per hour) that produces a more uniform product. Coffee brewed in these beasts is often brewed at a lower temperature (195-200 degrees rather than the 'correct' 201-204) which produces a milder, less bitter but also less flavorful cup.

A Votre Sante!

We just got off the Dream Sunday. I thought the coffee was better than last year. It is strong but I am okay with strong -- just add a little milk and sugar and it's fine for me. The "Gathering" on Lido had the regular machines with coffee and tea but also had a single standing machine that said regular coffee on it. I don't know what the difference was as I would just get in from the normal machine. The funny thing to me was that I had always heard how much better room service coffee was, one morning I went up to fill up my mug to take back to my balcony and and there was a worker filling up a room service coffee container from the machine. So I don't know if there is really a difference or not.

But I was able to drink the coffee every morning and it never bothered me. Would not be a deal breaker to not cruise in my opinion.

Winterfl,

That was a great education thank you. I'm going to try my luck at bringing my own French Press and coffee grounds.

The French Press is a great idea. There's also a smaller version called an AeroPress that's designed for travel use. As far as the coffee grounds, depends where you're cruising to! You can find *great* coffee on many port calls.

In Ocho Rios, look for "JaBlum". This is *real* Jamaica Blue Mountain estate coffee. In Honduras at Mahogany Bay you can find "Passion" brand "Tueste Especial". In Cozumel you can also find several very good coffees from the Yucatan, and keep your eyes open for Guatemalan coffees as well.

Stay away from Puerto Rican coffees. They're going through a bad patch right now and even the best available, "Yauco", is substandard.

I appreicate the information about how the coffee is brewed on the lido. I too am not a coffee snob. I drink the ucky stuff they have in our break room at work and I drink it black. Last November I was on the Ecstacy and let me tell you I could hardly get it down. I finally started putting some hot chocolate in to help mask the flavor. Hopefully, next cruise the coffee will be better!

The French Press is a great idea. There's also a smaller version called an AeroPress that's designed for travel use. As far as the coffee grounds, depends where you're cruising to! You can find *great* coffee on many port calls.

In Ocho Rios, look for "JaBlum". This is *real* Jamaica Blue Mountain estate coffee. In Honduras at Mahogany Bay you can find "Passion" brand "Tueste Especial". In Cozumel you can also find several very good coffees from the Yucatan, and keep your eyes open for Guatemalan coffees as well.

Stay away from Puerto Rican coffees. They're going through a bad patch right now and even the best available, "Yauco", is substandard.

I again appreciate your insight. I'm going to try to find a reasonably priced AeroPress. We are heading to Cozumel and Mahogany Bay so I might try some of their coffee.

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know if carnival has a coffee card to where you can get unlimited coffee/latte/mochas from the coffee shop?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not that I have ever heard of

Sent from my KFTT using Forums mobile app

The coffee on Miracle last month was better than I remembered from previous experience. Tolerable enough that I only bought 1, or 2 cups from the coffee shop and I do consider myself an avid coffee drinker. I was impressed because I expected it to be lousy.

Folks, I have had railroad yard office coffee. That is really bad, bad coffee. Carnival's lido deck coffee can vary from machine to machine, mainly due to the depth of the cleanings given the machines.

I drink my coffee black and strong. I percolate my coffee, from fresh ground beans, so I know what coffee should taste like. I find Lido deck coffee to be very drinkable as is most restaurant coffee.

For those who need a frame of reference, I would sooner drink coffee from a fast food store than to darken the door of a Starbucks. That stuff tastes like instant coffee.

Doc

I have been on 11 Carnival cruises, and let me tell you I don't remember once that the coffee was good enough, not even ok. It was bad, to the point that I had to drink tea if I wanted something warm/hot. My last Carnival cruise was this June. I mean I don't get it, is it that hard to have a not this bad tasting coffee, I don't need Starbuck tasting but something tolerable.

My advice is to take a few single packets of coffee from home if you really want your coffee or buy coffee at a coffee shop they have on board.

The carnival coffee reminds me a lot of the Army coffee I used to get when in the field.

As a retired US Army Infantry Officer I will say there is no comparison whatsoever to Army field coffee and the coffee I drank on Carnival, or any other cruise ship, and I have consumed a lot of each.

Has gotten a little better, still on the bad side. We only drink it at breakfast, other times we buy from the coffee specialty bar. Its good coffee there. As for the dining room coffee, its not that that good.

It's better when you get it from room service. That's for sure.

Carnival Pride 7 day Mexican Riviera: September 2008

Carnival Inspiration 4 day Mexican Riviera: September 2013

Carnival Miracle 15 day Hawaii: coming October 2015

It's better when you get it from room service. That's for sure.

Carnival Pride 7 day Mexican Riviera: September 2008

Carnival Inspiration 4 day Mexican Riviera: September 2013

Carnival Miracle 15 day Hawaii: coming October 2015

Agreed!

As a retired US Army Infantry Officer I will say there is no comparison whatsoever to Army field coffee and the coffee I drank on Carnival, or any other cruise ship, and I have consumed a lot of each.

While I did not retire from the Army I did spend 11 1/2 years doing it. Seven of those years were also in the Infantry and all were in MTOE units. That also includes a stint in the 11 ACR on the border.

I stand by my remarks... Carnival coffee is as bad as Army field coffee.

I love reading these varied opinions...truly..we all have different taste buds plus there is some enlightening truth. I went to school about when the coffee craze hit in the eighties in the NW..a great coffee area in the US with all the rain..

It just gets better and better..like wine. I like good "bad" coffee and good "good" coffee..LOL...I love all the tips thanks Flwriter..fresh carnival coffee on 2 cruises has been great from room service...2009 and 2012..Fantasy and Spirit class. Also great in dining room...never had it in Lido...recently tried the Via instant and I loved it but is is a bit sharper the the deep Columbian smooth taste I prefer.

I recently had confirmed there is a group that thinks cilantro tastes like soap..awful...and it is biological and I am in it...I have been saying it tastes like this for years....LOL..we are all so different and when on vacation..sometimes I think the same thing done the same way can be much better or worse the second time around..depending on our moods and peace of mind...Sarah

PS..Loved the tips and education Writerfla!!!

Edited by sjn911