Trolley questions

babyclaytonmom

We are going to do OSJ on our own and see the forts and city via the trolley. I've been reading that they are sometimes full when they get to your stop. How often do they come? Just wondering how long to wait vs. just walking to and between the forts.

Also after both forts what is a good stop to get off at in the city for shopping, restaurants, or to see anything else an 11 year old would enjoy etc...? I do have the trolley map.

We have had better luck finding seats on the trolley away from the main stops... like the stop right before #1. If you do get on go ahead and ride it around the city loop a time and then decide where you want to get off. In our experience it is a very pretty walk from the port area of OSJ to the west along the Paseo de la Princessa just outside the old city wall then turn north at the fountain and walk along the walkway until the old city gate, go through then turn north again and follow the roads up to El Morro. If you are going in to tour the fort then afterward catch the trolley as this stop lots of people get off. If you can't find seats then.... you can walk downhill through the city or pretty much level over to San Cristobal. San Juan is a great place to explore. At some point you will find seats, then just enjoy being on it for a loop or two. Love that city.

Been to OSJ a couple of times…… our experience is that we can walk ALOT faster than the trolley goes….. the traffic in OSJ can be horrendous causing traffic jams/slowness. More than once we have passed the trolley stuck in traffic so plan on that too.

On a side note: OSJ is only about 13 square blocks and easily walked if you don't have any mobility issues. It is uphill a bit going from the harbor to the forts but not like a hike uphill…… and of course coming back is downhill so even easier. One of our favorite things is just to walk and explore……. I have found a few neat boutiques and cafes that way !

Thank you both so much! Would you suggest doing a tour at one or both of the forts or are things labeled/explained well by themselves? I thought I recalled seeing that one or both of the forts had guides that did tours for a couple dollars. Does one make more sense to tour vs. wander around on our own?

We are in port from 12:00-10:00 and plan on getting off the ship ASAP. Was considering the trolley because I know it will be so hot. Maybe we will use that as a last resort and just walk it as you suggested.

Thank you both so much! Would you suggest doing a tour at one or both of the forts or are things labeled/explained well by themselves? I thought I recalled seeing that one or both of the forts had guides that did tours for a couple dollars. Does one make more sense to tour vs. wander around on our own?

We are in port from 12:00-10:00 and plan on getting off the ship ASAP. Was considering the trolley because I know it will be so hot. Maybe we will use that as a last resort and just walk it as you suggested.

Both times we toured each fort we have not done it with a ranger (they are part of the US National park system) but they do tours at set times. I think the things are labeled pretty well or self explanatory. Each Fort has its own reasons to see, El Morro for the size and majesty, San Cristobal for its state of preservation (seems to be more pristine and detailed) If you would like... read the first part of my Victory review from February of 2010 (superbowl cruise) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1150670 I have lots of pictures of the walk there and of the forts.

A tour guide will explain the history of each of the forts and the Spanish heritage of San Juan. If your a history buff, you can spend hours at each fort. There are signs at the fort that will explain each section. Children under 15 yr is free, adults admission is $5 for both forts. The view at the top of the the Castillo Morro is amazing.Take water with you as there is a lot of walking at the forts and it can be hot and humid and wear comfortable shoes.

There is a Marshall's in OSJ for the 11 year old. The street it's on is Calle San Jose & Calle Fortaleza and there is also a Coach outlet on Cristo St, about a 5 mins walk from Marshalls.

There will also be many tour guides at the end of the pier offering tours at a good price. I think they wanted $10 pp, a lot less $$ than the cruise ships. We meet people that took these tours and was very happy, we will take the tour with those guys the next time we're in PR.

A tour guide will explain the history of each of the forts and the Spanish heritage of San Juan. If your a history buff, you can spend hours at each fort. There are signs at the fort that will explain each section. Children under 15 yr is free, adults admission is $5 for both forts. The view at the top of the the Castillo Morro is amazing.Take water with you as there is a lot of walking at the forts and it can be hot and humid and wear comfortable shoes.

There is a Marshall's in OSJ for the 11 year old. The street it's on is Calle San Jose & Calle Fortaleza and there is also a Coach outlet on Cristo St, about a 5 mins walk from Marshalls.

There will also be many tour guides at the end of the pier offering tours at a good price. I think they wanted $10 pp, a lot less $$ than the cruise ships. We meet people that took these tours and was very happy, we will take the tour with those guys the next time we're in PR.

The tour guides at the end of the pier are for tours of the forts or for tours of San Juan?

The tour guides at the end of the pier are for tours of the forts or for tours of San Juan?

Have not taken the tour yet but was advised that they toured San Juan. Going back end of September, I can let you know when I get back in October.

We toured both of the forts on our own. We found that things were well labeled. It does, however, depend on your background and what you are looking for. I have a history undergrad degree, and took a number of military history courses, plus read up on the forts before leaving home.

It is not a difficult walk, especially back down. In both cases, the trolleys were full, and it was easier to just walk the hill up as well.

I would recommend taking trolley up to el morro. It is an uphill walk from the ship. If you get there it is much easier to come back down through the town.

I suggest when u get off ship take a left and walk (very short walk) to near the subway sandwich shop. There is a trolley stop near there (look for the street trolley stop sign) and board trolley. That is the last stop before the trip starts over at the pier.

I enjoyed my "loop" of OSJ via the HOHO trolley last week, and was pleased to see that it delivered its riders right to the entrance of Fort Morro. One does not have to walk all the way up that long concrete walk, although there is a nice breeze. Lots of kites in action. The trolley is a great way to preview where you want to get off later, so do the complete loop first. Two add'l notes: no open food containers allowed (saw one little boy in tears as the driver told him he could not take his ice cream aboard; since it was in a cup, his mom put it in her purse :D Also, the next to last stop before the one which "begins" the trolley tour is across the street from a very large CVS. Useful.

We are 50ish, reasonable health, and we walked to el morro. I printed out a walking tour route online. Just google it. It is very easy. We were going to look for the trolley but so glad we didn't. It is a much easier walk than I thought. There are hop ills but not that bad.

• 3 weeks later...

We toured OSJ last Sept. I had read on CC that there was a tour on a bus for $10.00 a person. When you first get off the ship many tour operators are there to greet you and are usually much more per person. Finally, at the end of the walkway we found the 10.00 pp. It was great! I were in a/c and got to see a lot of the city. The tour in only an hour but you see the hot spots with picture stops and then they drop you off either to shop or back by the ship. We enjoyed it and learned a lot about the city!

smjlt, can you tell me the name of the tour company you took?

I took a look at our pics and our tour guides shirt says SJ Happy Tours. There are many tour companies that ask if you would like a tour. We just kept asking how much pp till we found the $10.00 one. Hopefully rates have not gone up since last Sept.