Azura vs Ventura

jamescruise07

We prefer the Ventura not sure why it may be that the dress code was slightly more relaxed with 3 formal and rest smart casual and as we are late bookers due to work commitments and needing to get carer cover, Ventura has 2 freedom dining restaurants giving us more chance of freedom dining. That was on a 14 night Caribbean cruise.

But itinerary would always be the main factor for booking a cruise.

Most people seem to be comparing the ships but the main difference is that Azura is sailing from Southampton and you would be flying out to join Ventura. If you're happy with more sea days, then go for Azura but if you want to be in the Med at the start of your cruise choose Ventura. We really love Azura (our favourite ship)but we'd also choose the Azura cruise, all things being equal because the Eastern med itinerary is more likely to include ports we've not visited already whereas with Ventura cruising between Venice and Genoa it's more likely to be the usual Med ports, which we would certainly have done. Decide on your preferred itinerary and the sea days issue and your decision is made.

Most people seem to be comparing the ships but the main difference is that Azura is sailing from Southampton and you would be flying out to join Ventura. If you're happy with more sea days, then go for Azura but if you want to be in the Med at the start of your cruise choose Ventura. We really love Azura (our favourite ship)but we'd also choose the Azura cruise, all things being equal because the Eastern med itinerary is more likely to include ports we've not visited already whereas with Ventura cruising between Venice and Genoa it's more likely to be the usual Med ports, which we would certainly have done. Decide on your preferred itinerary and the sea days issue and your decision is made.

I think Ventura is back in Southampton 2015 its Oceana thats Med based next year.

I do agree that the big difference is really in whether you want to depart from Southampton or fly/cruise. Sitting is painful for me so I prefer not to fly, so the decision would be easy for me1

I love the seascreen on Azura. I can't comfortably go to the cinema at home, it is great to be able to lie back and watch a film in something approaching comfort :)

I am sure i read somewhere the ban has been lifted, after complaints from business owners in Venice fearing loss of income.

It was lifted in the spring after a court appeal, which resulted in a decision that it should be reviewed. In the last week or so it has been re-applied, so the ban will now definitely be imposed from just before the end of this year. I think all the lines had already taken it into account when making their plans for 2015 e.g. P&O's replacement of Ventura (over the limit) with Oceana (inside the limit).

I've been covering this topic in some depth in my blog. Here's my own most recent post on this topic, which announced the reimposition of the ban. Here is another post by a reader who commented on my earlier post: I took her well- argued comment and turned into a full post (with her agreement).

We have been on both ships and whilst, on paper, they are virtually identical, we preferred Ventura in almost every respect.

Difficult to pinpoint exactly why, but all 3 of us agreed.

The select dining restaurants were all better on Ventura. We used the Glass House on Azura and didn't like it. On Ventura we loved it. We found the Asian Atul Kucher restaurant on Ventura far superior to the Indian one on Azura.

So we prefer Ventura, but would only cruise to/from Southampton as that's one of the biggest advantages of a cruise.

• 2 weeks later...