3 elderly in 1 room. Which cat. is best on Explorer or Grandeur?

So I'm trying to plan a trip for my grandparent's and my grandmother's sister to Bermuda. Late summer/early fall on either Explorer or Grandeur. There would be 6 of us. My father, mother, grandmother, grandfather, and my (great) aunt. It'd be easier to keep the 3 elders (g-ma, g-pa, g-aunt) (contained) in one room. None of them can climb a ladder up to a bunk bed... Which categories /rooms are offered so that they all can have a bed they don't have to climb into? I've seen the Royal Suite, Grand Suite, Owner's Suite, Royal Family Suite, Junior Suite, & a regular Balcony room. Are there any that I'm missing? Say price doesn't matter... Would it just be easier to get multiple insides? Thanks for any info!

Edited by KMVigs

So I'm trying to plan a trip for my grandparent's and my grandmother's sister to Bermuda. Late summer/early fall on either Explorer or Grandeur. There would be 6 of us. My father, mother, grandmother, grandfather, and my (great) aunt. It'd be easier to keep the 3 elders (g-ma, g-pa, g-aunt) (contained) in one room. None of them can climb a ladder up to a bunk bed... Which categories /rooms are offered so that they all can have a bed they don't have to climb into? I've seen the Royal Suite, Grand Suite, Owner's Suite, Royal Family Suite, Junior Suite, & a regular Balcony room. Are there any that I'm missing? Say price doesn't matter... Would it just be easier to get multiple insides? Thanks for any info!

Explorer has the Royal Family Suite which has 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, a huge balcony which would be ideal for the (g-ma, g-pa, g-aunt). Plus Explorer has a nice Promenade for them to sit and watch people go by.The other suites on both ships only have 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom.

Grandeur does not have a Promenade like Explorer but does have the same room type for the (g-ma, g-pa, g-aunt).

I would go with the Explorer.

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

A JS would give you more room, but not having been on either ship, would have to double check cabin size. A regular balcony for 3 would be two small. I would check the deck plans and see which location si best but keep it closer to the elevators or mid ship.

Explorer has the Royal Family Suite which has 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, a huge balcony which would be ideal for the (g-ma, g-pa, g-aunt). Plus Explorer has a nice Promenade for them to sit and watch people go by.The other suites on both ships only have 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom.

Grandeur does not have a Promenade like Explorer but does have the same room type for the (g-ma, g-pa, g-aunt).

I would go with the Explorer.

Just got off the Explorer yesterday... I agree, I think they would love it. Especially the promenade. Hopefully no one stops to talk to them... they'll keep them there for hours ;)

To give them each a real bed I think it would have to be a Royal family suite or Royal suite. IMO I wouldn't put them in inside cabins. As a g'ma (and old enough to be gg'ma) I would not want to be in an inside cabin. Part of the enjoyment is to be able to watch the sea without moving out of my cabin.

Edited by SPacificbound

Just got off the Explorer yesterday... I agree, I think they would love it. Especially the promenade. Hopefully no one stops to talk to them... they'll keep them there for hours ;)

It would be nice for them to sit by Cafe Promenade and watch the people go by, and be entertained there for hours.

The Royal Family Suite is in the back of the ship, so don't know if any of them have mobility issues, as it can be a long walk for them.

Do the Explorer and the Royal family suite. Loads of room for them and any guest that visit. There are other perks that come with that suite.

My wife and I had that room all to our selves and was wonderful and also very quiet.

The Explorer's Royal Family Suite (way aft on the fantail), sounds great if the location suits your family members, but it is likely booked by now. If you want to save a lot of money, connecting Balconies or connecting Oceanview staterooms would likely be comfortable. They could leave the door open between the two staterooms whenever they like, and have comfortable beds, with two bathrooms.

With regard to Junior Suites, be sure to check out the bathtub- I'm not sure about the two ships you're considering, but the tubs on Radiance class ships can be treacherous for some to get in and out of, due to the tub floor being higher than the bathroom floor. And of course, they offer only one bathroom.

Sounds like a great family cruise! :) KMVigs, I just noticed that you sailed on the Horizon, I loved that ship (cruised in '95)!

Edited by jmf123

KMVigs, I just noticed that you sailed on the Horizon, I loved that ship (cruised in '95)!

Ahh my first cruise! What a lovely little boat she was. She looks to be in decent shape now, too!

Lots of suggestions to spend more money have been given. We have been in the Junior Suite on Explorer and there is plenty of room for 3 with the queen bed (could be split) and the sofa bed. After you get into the room ask for the 'egg crate' foam mattress to be put on the beds. The room steward will do that for you. Makes the beds more comfortable.

I agree that a JS is fine room-wise. As long as someone doesn't mind sleeping on the sofabed. Even in a GS, someone would have to sleep on a sofabed, and it is a lot more expensive.

A RFS is nice with two bedrooms and a real bed for each person, but that usually runs a bit more per person than an OS.

(regular balcony room would be too small for 3 elderly people)

Edited by marci22

Tubs in JS ARE scary to get in and out of, and the bathroom floor is a few inches lower than the bottom of the tub. But they can use the spa showers if needed.

Other ideas would be the owner's suite w/ a separate shower and bidet. Another idea would be a D1 which would be a lot cheaper and allow the third person in the room.

Keep in mind, the Owner's Suite, JS and the D1 have sofa beds for the third person.

If you get two rooms, be aware of the single supplement.

Edited by knittinggirl

Although I do agree that tubs can be a tough entry without the motion of the ship. The other BIG concern in my mind, are the toilets. The commodes on Grandeur are only 15" off the floor where the ones on Explorer are higher, 16 to 17" I think. This may not be a big issue to most but if you have issues with knees, etc. it can be.

Although I do agree that tubs can be a tough entry without the motion of the ship. The other BIG concern in my mind, are the toilets. The commodes on Grandeur are only 15" off the floor where the ones on Explorer are higher, 16 to 17" I think. This may not be a big issue to most but if you have issues with knees, etc. it can be.

Via the Special Needs form, they can request a raised toilet seat, shower chair or a commode chair. Depending on the itinerary, there can also be a lot of pitch and roll. And I think we had a day or so of rough seas out of Bermuda, but there was also a storm on the way.

The other BIG concern in my mind, are the toilets. The commodes on Grandeur are only 15" off the floor where the ones on Explorer are higher, 16 to 17" I think.

I commend your observational powers cause I would not remember this lol.

Consider these questions :

• Who thinks "It'd be easier to keep the 3 elders (g-ma, g-pa, g-aunt) (contained) in one room." ? You or them ?
  • Ask yourself if you find it comfortable to be on a sleeper sofa all week? Than consider g-pa, g-ma or g-aunt to doing so ?
  • The sleeper sofa can be lower than the actual bed which could pose a problem.
  • Once the sofa bed is open it could limit access to the washroom in the middle of the night.
  • Do any of them use any type of mobility equipment as that becomes an issue with 3 people in the cabin?
  • As already stated not all bathrooms have showers. So can they all step over and into a tub ?

If it were me I'd book 2 separate cabins perhaps connecting cabins. It would never be acceptable to me to expect anyone other than children to sleep on a sofa bed especially someone elder as you refered to them as being.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Consider these questions :

• Who thinks "It'd be easier to keep the 3 elders (g-ma, g-pa, g-aunt) (contained) in one room." ? You or them ?
  • Ask yourself if you find it comfortable to be on a sleeper sofa all week? Than consider g-pa, g-ma or g-aunt to doing so ?
  • The sleeper sofa can be lower than the actual bed which could pose a problem.
  • Once the sofa bed is open it could limit access to the washroom in the middle of the night.
  • Do any of them use any type of mobility equipment as that becomes an issue with 3 people in the cabin?
  • As already stated not all bathrooms have showers. So can they all step over and into a tub ?

If it were me I'd book 2 separate cabins perhaps connecting cabins. It would never be acceptable to me to expect anyone other than children to sleep on a sofa bed especially someone elder as you refered to them as being.

G-aunt isn't in as bad of physical shape as g-ma and g-pa. A sleeper sofa would be sufficient enough for her. They all agreed to be in the same room. Thanks for your concern. None of them use mobility equipment. The tubs may be an issue, though.

You may want to get them adjoining balcony cabins. No tubs and everyone has their own bed. You'd have to pay the single supplement though.

Still probably cheaper than a RFS.

I could share a room with one of them.. So that might work. I'm sure my parents wouldn't mind having a room to themselves too lol

I consider myself pretty fit for 69, but I made sure I held unto the towel rack or something , getting in and out of that tub, if one were to not lift their leg high enough stepping out, that could be dangerous, so agree, ask for a stool or something to assist them with the tub. We will have a JS on our SOS cruise next year and the daughter will bunk in with us. Had the JS on our ROS cruise this past March & loved it, might find it hard to go back to a regular balcony now.:)