Random Questions! Alaska on Golden 8/2

Marieze

Hi Everyone!

I have several random questions I was hoping you could answer....

1. For the days at sea when we will most likely want to hang around the pool area, can we first dine in the MDR with a pool cover-up on with sandals or is that prohibited?

2.) I know there are hot dogs/hamburgers/pizza served outside....are those venues near the pool? Is there chair service where one can order an iced tea while at the pool?

3.) Do we bring the towels from the stateroom, or are there towels at the pool? are they large towels?

4.) We want to take advantage of the specialty dining. What are your thoughts of eating in the Crown Dining Room the first night and Sabatini's on the last night, or vise versa, on the last night?

5.) I am planning on getting the maximum internet package and prepaying in advance. It has something like 680 minutes (my teen will use them, for sure) for $202.95. If there are leftover minutes, are we entitled to a refund?

6.) My son is a sushi freak and I know they serve sushi in vines with the purchase of a beverage. Is this a bar that a teenager will be allowed to dine in?

That's it for now....I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions as we get even closer! :D

Thanks!

Marieze

Hi Everyone!

1. For the days at sea when we will most likely want to hang around the pool area, can we first dine in the MDR with a pool cover-up on with sandals or is that prohibited?

I do believe you need to be dressed and not just covered up in a MDR. Yes, you could do that in the buffet.

2.) I know there are hot dogs/hamburgers/pizza served outside....are those venues near the pool? Is there chair service where one can order an iced tea while at the pool?

Yes, they are near the pools. There should also be servers going around to see if you want something to drink. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Most pools are on the same deck as the buffet, so one would only need to put the cover up on then walk in. The ice tea would be right at the entrance. There is also a full bar outside so you can go there to get other beverages.

3.) Do we bring the towels from the stateroom, or are there towels at the pool? are they large towels?

Bring the towels from your stateroom. They are beach towel size but somewhat on a thinner side that the plush ones you might get at a fancy spa.

4.) We want to take advantage of the specialty dining. What are your thoughts of eating in the Crown Dining Room the first night and Sabatini's on the last night, or vise versa, on the last night?

I sort of like the menu they usually have on the last night in the main dining room so personally, I would pick another night. But yes, I would want to go and enjoy both restaurants as their menus are fantastic!

5.) I am planning on getting the maximum internet package and prepaying in advance. It has something like 680 minutes (my teen will use them, for sure) for $202.95. If there are leftover minutes, are we entitled to a refund?

No, no refunds on unused minutes.

6.) My son is a sushi freak and I know they serve sushi in vines with the purchase of a beverage. Is this a bar that a teenager will be allowed to dine in?

Vines is a wine place. There 'free' sushi comes with the purchase of a glass of wine, from what I've read. I don't drink and have expressed that my husband should get the glass of wine and I will help him eat the sushi as he can't have any with salmon!

That's it for now....I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions as we get even closer! :D

Thanks!

Marieze

Have a great cruise. Enjoy your time onboard.

Be prepared for it to be a bit cold to be in the pool....Not many people hit the pools on an Alaskan cruise....and anywhere near a glacier it will produce its own weather....usually a bit cooler.....but you could be lucky....It might be 70....:)

Hi Everyone!

1. For the days at sea when we will most likely want to hang around the pool area, can we first dine in the MDR with a pool cover-up on with sandals or is that prohibited? If your suit isn't wet yet (since you're going there first), just make it obvious that it's covered up (have shorts on too just to make sure). Of course this is for breakfast and lunch only. Same for the Horizon Court -- at any time of day. If you first take a dip in the pool, eat by the pool -- see the next answer.

The grill and the pizzeria are near the outdoor pool (as opposed to the covered pool). My hubby and I often would get a grilled chicken sandwich there for lunch on our last few cruises. You can buy a drink, but I'm not sure if they're bring you an ice tea, but you're be right near the Horizon Court, which has a tea/coffee station on each side. I do know that in the afternoon, there should be a beverage server with a pitcher of lemonade, so you can ask that server if the beverage court or the bars in the pool area have tea.

There will be blue striped towels in your closet for your use at the pools (if on a warm weather cruise, you can take with you to a beach in port). Just make sure to bring back and place in your bathroom afterwards. Your cabin steward will replace with fresh towels.

Only ate once in a specialty restaurant on any of our cruises and that was because we were gifted with dinner in Sabatinis. Since we're not foodies, I don't think we're go back (unless I do another favor which gets rewarded:)). But there are plenty of people who always plan a dinner in Sabatinis or the Crown Grill on the Golden. Just go to either one after boarding and book it if you like. You can see the menus right by the door.

No refund for unused minutes. We had some left our last night so my daughter and I worked on checking email (for me) and then she checked Facebook.

Vines is not an enclosed place. There's a counter, I think, but there's also tables in the general area. It's in the Piazza, which is midships on the Plaza deck midships. There's the International Cafe, also not enclosed, the Internet Cafe, another bar (can't think of the name offhand). We didn't buy anything at Vines (I'm allergic to seafood so no sushi for me) so maybe someone else will let you know.

Thanks!

Marieze

Our last two cruises were on the Golden, the two week LA-Hawaii RT, and we enjoyed the ship.

The Golden Princess has an indoor pool in the Solarium so lots of people will be using it and the hot tubs.. On our Jun 7th Golden cruise, we had a couple of warm days when the outdoor pool was also getting use as well as the outdoor lounges.. It was downright Warm in Ketchikan..:eek:

Be prepared for it to be a bit cold to be in the pool....Not many people hit the pools on an Alaskan cruise....and anywhere near a glacier it will produce its own weather....usually a bit cooler.....but you could be lucky....It might be 70....:)

As I said, the Golden does have one pool (Calypso)under a retractable roof, which probably will stay closed during an Alaskan cruise (on our last Hawaiian cruise, I don't think it was ever opened). It will be on the humid side in that area with the roof closed, but you should be able to still swim -- might not be the warmest water, but you may see some swimmers.

Both of the large pools will be on the Lido deck. It's the Neptune (uncovered party) which is by the pizzeria and the grill. And the ice cream parlor is over by the door that leads to the Calypso pool). On the other side of that pool is the Horizon Court. There are also some smaller pools scattered about.

Hi Everyone!

A couple of considerations... We have traditional dining and enjoy meeting our table mates and waitstaff on the first night so we usually book a specialty restaurant for sometime during the middle of the cruise. Similarly, we would avoid the last night of the cruise because we like chatting with our table mates and staff about the cruise and saying goodbye. Also, I'm guessing Victoria will be your final stop on the last night of your cruise, so you may not want to be tied down to a specialty restaurant that night. (Of course, if you are not planning on going ashore, then this would not be a consideration.)

Can't answer about Vines specifically since neither of us are drinkers, but there was a sushi buffet one day (I believe it was at lunch) just outside of the Horizon Court. The time and place was listed in the Patter.

Thanks!

Marieze

We really enjoyed our recent Alaska trip -- hope you have a blast!

Hi Everyone!

1. For the days at sea when we will most likely want to hang around the pool area, can we first dine in the MDR with a pool cover-up on with sandals or is that prohibited? For breakfast & lunch dress is casual in the MDR. Sandals are ok. Cover up, depends on how covered, better would be dressed in shorts and T shirt like top. No wet clothing in the MDR or in the buffet. It is easy to go back to the cabin and change. Remember, it's cooler in Alaska, and you might not be too comfortable around the outside pool. Might require a jacket.

2.) I know there are hot dogs/hamburgers/pizza served outside....are those venues near the pool? Is there chair service where one can order an iced tea while at the pool? Yes, self serve, next to the outdoor pool grab a table and go to the Trident Grill or Prego Pizza. If you are seated at a table by the outdoor pool it might take time for a bar waiter to walk back to the buffet and get you a glass of Ice Tea, but if you sit at the indoor pool normally the food waiters can handle it more quickly. Both the outdoor and indoor pool have tables.

4.) We want to take advantage of the specialty dining. What are your thoughts of eating in the Crown Dining Room the first night and Sabatini's on the last night, or vise versa, on the last night? Dine there anytime you like. Just call the Dine line for reservations.

6.) My son is a sushi freak and I know they serve sushi in vines with the purchase of a beverage. Is this a bar that a teenager will be allowed to dine in? You know, this is a good question. A plate of sushi or tapas is served with the order of a drink. The drink does not have to be wine, and I believe some have even had the sushi with a can of soda. So, just ask at Vines when you are on board.

Thanks!

Marieze

See additional comments above

I think it will be too cool for sandals and swimwear to wear for a long period of time. If you want to jump in the pool..you will want it to be an in and out thing. Remember when the ship is at sea....it will be even cooler. You probably won't want iced tea but hot chocolate instead!

Edited by whatcruiseisnext

I think it will be too cool for sandals and swimwear to wear for a long period of time. If you want to jump in the pool..you will want it to be an in and out thing. Remember when the ship is at sea....it will be even cooler. You probably won't want iced tea but hot chocolate instead!

Yes, very true, even when the weather is sunny! Alaska is a different type cruise than most other warm climate places. Ports can be warm as we were able to wear shorts on most days. But on board cooler especially when crossing the Gulf of Alaska.

It can be warm enough to swim outside on an Alaskan cruise. I have seen it many times. This was sailing out of Seattle in July 2012:

526504_4273865442338_1376214889_n.jpg

The pool was just as crowded leaving Ketchikan on that same cruise. I got sunburned that day!

Like others have said, I'd wear clothes over bathing suit for the MDR, such as shorts and t-shirt or cover-up. You can get by with just a cover-up in the buffet.

I will get free internet minutes this cruise because I'm finally Platinum, but I won't let my teens use them or they'd use them all up. They can check their phones in port.

it is possible to use the pool, but I live in Alaska, the kids go swimming in 50 degree water....or colder, but I have been on 5 inside passages...next one coming up in a couple of weeks....and I have never seen anyone swim...well, a couple of people in and out.....however, I am sure it happens....that said, we are supposed to have record temps this weekend for the 4th....all the way up to the mid 70's.....so, ya just never know....:)

Here's a photo that shows the outdoor seating area by the pool. This is very close to Prego Pizzeria and the Trident Grill. The second photo is what Prego Pizzeria looks like. (Trident Grill is just to the right.) The pool is directly behind the Pizzeria.

5469578767_c67a34fa34_z.jpgGolden Princess by Jasperdo, on Flickr

5479770867_7b7077e725_z.jpgGolden Princess by Jasperdo, on Flickr