NCL Building Two 200,000+ Ton Ships

rbelfi

Besides the article and links from yesterday's posting in the news section has anyone heard about NCL's two 200,000+ ton ships for 2018 and 2019? I'm super excited to see what kind of inovaitive features they would have and how they would stack up against Oasis and Allure.

What information do you have that NCL is definitely building these 200,000+ ton ships?

The articles I read were pure conjecture. I believed the articles specifically said it was a “rumor”.

It hasn't officantly been annouced, though it seems to be likely. Everything is technicially a rumor until officantly announanced, but these a few of the articles I saw.

http://www.cruisebusiness.com/index.php/Top-Headlines/meyer-werft-s-stx-finland-acquisition-moves-ahead-may-win-major-order-from-norwegian.html

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/11283-meyer-closes-in-on-turku-plus-norwegian-and-royalcelebrity-orders.html

Edited by rbelfi

I too hope it is true. Recent innovation with the big ships is quite amazing.

I do hope the industry knows what it is doing with these large ships. It appears that NCL is having pricing problems in Miami with the Getaway, probably due to over capacity.

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Norwegian-Cruise-Line-pricing-weak/

the only concern i have with these newer huge ships is piers. I dont think these ships can fit under bridges like the verrazano narrows bridge or make tight turns into the finger piers like what we have here in NYC. Also, ports like Bermuda can not add/upgrade/etc their piers due to environmental reasons with the coral reefs.

I'm almost positive Bermuda updated their peir specifically for the Breakaway, but that's not saying every/any other ports would be able/willing too. I'd say the more popular ports who can, would to entice the bigger ships and higher passanger counts.

I too hope it is true. Recent innovation with the big ships is quite amazing.

I do hope the industry knows what it is doing with these large ships. It appears that NCL is having pricing problems in Miami with the Getaway, probably due to over capacity.

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Norwegian-Cruise-Line-pricing-weak/

I really think these big ships are the normal going forward, the smaller ships I feel will be sold off or stop being refurbished at some point.

This was my understanding as well.

Say what you will, but it makes sense from a logistical standpoint. Less ships to manage, staff, and refurb. Plus the (really) older ships have a hard time competing against the newer ones, particularly for new cruise guests who want innovative features. There were always be a place for cheap cruises, but remember that on most sailings a large number of people on the ship have never cruised before, and are far more likely to spend $ onboard than us seasoned veterans.

I really think these big ships are the normal going forward, the smaller ships I feel will be sold off or stop being refurbished at some point.

I'm almost positive Bermuda updated their peir specifically for the Breakaway, but that's not saying every/any other ports would be able/willing too. I'd say the more popular ports who can, would to entice the bigger ships and higher passanger counts.

It was updated for the Breakaway, but not for the quantum of the seas who was originally scheduled for that port before RCCL moved the new ship to a different port because it can not fit in bermuda due to the narrow channels and pier (or something like that). Here is a link that explains how the quantum is too big for bermuda: http://www.bermudasun.bm/Content/NEWS/Environment/Article/Quantum-s-too-big-for-Bermuda/24/898/73160

Other ports will be having the same problem with these newer and bigger ships

Edited by shof515

If this is true, it's a great business move for Norwegian. From a business point of view, as of right now, I think Norwegian has one of the best long term brand potentials: the Freestyle concept is appealing to the younger markets, especially in the context of lines like Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, etc., where set dining times are still very much in place. So if Norwegian can create a hard product that only enhances Freestyle, they're in good shape -- much like how Breakaway/Getaway was designed.

I'm wondering how these larger ships are going to effect the Freestyle concept. With Epic, Breakaway, and Getaway Freestyle Dinning is still there, but a lot of the entertainment now requires you to book, though free, ahead of time. On the older ships where they started with freestyle this wasn't the case as you could just walk into most shows. While you could try to walk in, most shows on our Breakaway sailing were packed and you run the risk of being turned away.

I wonder how NCL plans to deal with this going forward. I understand with the increase passangers it becomes harder, but their concept is freestyle. It will be an interesting development.

I'm wondering how these larger ships are going to effect the Freestyle concept. With Epic, Breakaway, and Getaway Freestyle Dinning is still there, but a lot of the entertainment now requires you to book, though free, ahead of time. On the older ships where they started with freestyle this wasn't the case as you could just walk into most shows. While you could try to walk in, most shows on our Breakaway sailing were packed and you run the risk of being turned away.

I wonder how NCL plans to deal with this going forward. I understand with the increase passangers it becomes harder, but their concept is freestyle. It will be an interesting development.

A quick post from my iPad: More and smaller venues, see the three MDR setup on ..way class ships. Spread the masses, expect ships with multiple theatres, etc. My guess. :)

Besides the article and links from yesterday's posting in the news section has anyone heard about NCL's two 200,000+ ton ships for 2018 and 2019? I'm super excited to see what kind of inovaitive features they would have and how they would stack up against Oasis and Allure.

Where did you get the 2018 and 2019 from? :)

I know that mega ships are the way forward, but as much as we loved the Epic and would love to go on the Breakaway/Getaway (if it wasn't for the flight) I actually think we preferred the Spirit and would like to be able to cruise with NCL to smaller ports in the Med (Malta, Corsica, Ibiza etc)

We love freestyle and love NCL, but we also love Ports and want to be able to see loads and aren't too worried about the ships now: as long as there is some good entertainment and some nice hot tubs Im easy to please! :D

Ooh, maybe with all these new big ships they may bring some of the older/smaller ones over to Europe and have some increased variety in itinerary...(wishful thinking!?)

All I can say is I hope NCL is planning for more interesting itineraries than what the Oasis-class ships are doing now...

They are going to have to invent places to go then... because very few places on earth can handle ships that size. I'll wait for a press release ...

All I can say is I hope NCL is planning for more interesting itineraries than what the Oasis-class ships are doing now...

The itineraries of these proposed ships will pretty much be dictated by the same conditions that Oasis and Allure face - the number of ports that can accommodate ships of that size. As more ports of call improve their infrastructure to handle these ships, the variety of itineraries can improve, but since a large portion of the people who book these megaships at present, do so in order to experience what the ships, themselves, have to offer, the ports that they visit are only a secondary consideration. Now that Oasis will be sailing in Europe, new and perhaps more interesting ports will be available.

The itineraries of these proposed ships will pretty much be dictated by the same conditions that Oasis and Allure face - the number of ports that can accommodate ships of that size. As more ports of call improve their infrastructure to handle these ships, the variety of itineraries can improve, but since a large portion of the people who book these megaships at present, do so in order to experience what the ships, themselves, have to offer, the ports that they visit are only a secondary consideration. Now that Oasis will be sailing in Europe, new and perhaps more interesting ports will be available.

Well said... The larger the ships the cruise lines put out at some point ports will be forced to update as well if they want to keep/increase $$

You stole my thunder.

I was on the Allure this past spring and a crew member mentioned that typically half the guests on any given sailing (of that ship) have never cruised before. Not to mention that there seems to be a lot of non-US citizens on-board those sailings as well (more so than I saw with other cruises I have done).

The Oasis is the only ship so far that has made me consider staying on-board if I didn't have something really interesting to do in port. I stayed on at Nassau and rode the Flowrider for about 2 hours; there were only 5 of us waiting to ride it so I got a ton of "rides".

Lots of newer cruise guests want a floating resort, the mega ships give them that. Those of us who've been cruising for awhile (mainly on mass market lines) may occasionally miss the "old days", but I don't see things changing. I think that cruise lines will continue to stuff as many traditionally "on land" experiences on-board these new mega-ships as they can.

It was updated for the Breakaway, but not for the quantum of the seas who was originally scheduled for that port before RCCL moved the new ship to a different port because it can not fit in bermuda due to the narrow channels and pier (or something like that). Here is a link that explains how the quantum is too big for bermuda: http://www.bermudasun.bm/Content/NEWS/Environment/Article/Quantum-s-too-big-for-Bermuda/24/898/73160

Other ports will be having the same problem with these newer and bigger ships

That was initially so but it looks like Bermuda got the message after losing out on Quantum to Asia. The most recent information suggests Bermuda moving ahead with updates to accommodate Anthem of the Seas for Summer 2016. I'm on my iPad and don't have ready access to the most recent links, but this has been discussed at length on CC's Quantum sub-forum on the Royal Caribbean board.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app