Discover Card

chloes nana

Major credit cards are widely accepted throughout Eastern Europe, especially in major metropolitan areas and spots that are used to serving tourists. Visa and MasterCard are the most-accepted types of cards, with American Express accepted less frequently and Discover card accepted where Diners Club is valid.

Chip-and-Pin Cards

EMV (or Europay, MasterCard, and Visa) technology, otherwise known as chip-and-PIN technology, is widely used in Eastern Europe as the European standard. Cards that include this technology are embedded with a chip that is meant to improve the security of the card. These so-called “smart cards” are used just like regular credit cards, except that the customer is asked to input a four-digit PIN code into the card reader instead of signing for a purchase.

hello everyone. Just a question, is the Discover Card accepted anywhere in Europe, mainly the Baltics? thanks:)

No. I leave mine at home, although you can use it for your shipboard account. I think they are working toward being more worldwide, but as the other poster said, it's Mastercard and Visa that are in widespread use.

Remember to call whichever card you take with you to let them know which countries you are traveling to so you won't be denied as a suspicious transaction.

Our experience in six trips to the Baltics (Estonia and Latvia) as well as Russia and Scandinavia in the past ten years, is that a Discover card is almost worthless. American Express can be used in high end hotels and shops, and Visa and Mastercard are almost universally accepted. We have been able to use cards with a magnetic strip except in unmanned kiosks such as parking lots and train tickets. In December, 2013 we had our first chip and pin credit card from our credit union. It worked like a dream.

I talked w/Discover Card this morning for my upcoming crusie. Anywhere Diners Club International is accepted, you can use Discover; they are partners.

Call the number on your card & they'll tell you what countries.

You need to let all of your credit card companies know that you'll be using your card out-of-country & where or it could be rejected for security reasons.

Thanks, that is good to know. I will call the card services number and see what they have to say as far as countries we will use the AMEX the most coupled by our MC just wanted a back up plan if needed. :)

I talked w/Discover Card this morning for my upcoming crusie. Anywhere Diners Club International is accepted, you can use Discover; they are partners.

You need to let all of your credit card companies know that you'll be using your card out-of-country & where or it could be rejected for security reasons.

Diners Club is not nearly as accepted in Europe as Visa, M/C and AmEx.

Diners Club is less widely used in U..S.

Discover is hardly used in Europe.

Edited by sail7seas

We are happy with our Discover It card, but I would also consider getting the new Sam's Club Mastercard which includes the chip and pin. It is also 5% off gas, 3% off travel. I know that no one here likes to travel right? ;)

Stateroom Sailor.. Thank you for the tip about the Sam's Master Card.. It looks quite interesting..

Checked out the terms & conditions on-line, but could not find anything printed about "Foreign Transaction Fees".. Since I'm a member of Sam's, e-mailed them & asked about those fees..

BTW DH had a Discover card years ago but gave it up.. When we were married, he only wanted to use cash, even though my Credit Cards were paid in full every month, as they still are.. However, 48 years later he's changed his tune & could not understand why I decided to pay for lunch today with cash, because it was under $20..;):)..Only did it as we were with a group & others were using cash..LOL

We are happy with our Discover It card, but I would also consider getting the new Sam's Club Mastercard which includes the chip and pin. It is also 5% off gas, 3% off travel. I know that no one here likes to travel right? ;)

The only Sam's Club that was once in our area closed years ago. I liked it much better than Costco and BJ's. Wish they'd re-open somewhere nearby.

SNIP

BTW DH had a Discover card years ago but gave it up.. When we were married, he only wanted to use cash, even though my Credit Cards were paid in full every month, as they still are.. However, 48 years later he's changed his tune & could not understand why I decided to pay for lunch today with cash, because it was under $20..;):)..Only did it as we were with a group & others were using cash..LOL

Whoops.. Big mistake!:confused: It's not 48 yrs, :eek:It will be 38 yrs, the end of this month! :o

Edited by serendipity1499