ZipLock Bags - XL & XXL

Has anyone spotted these at their grocery stores? They are BIG, and the pictures on the front of the box show them holding multiple sports items (XL size) and sleeping bags and pillows in the bigger (XXL) size. The XL dimensions are 2ft X 1.7 ft, the XXL are 2ft X 2.7 ft. They come 4 in a box for 5.23 (there's a coupon in today's paper). I don't know if there are 3 or 4 in the XXL size.

They have handles and could come in handy for any type of traveling to hold dirty clothes, to carry toys, towels, blankets, etc... to the beach, to carry pillows from home.

Of course they'd be nice at home too, for a multitude of storage options. :)

I haven't seen these yet. Are they actually the Ziploc brand? I'll look for them at Target next time I shop there, the handle sounds great.

Yes, they're Ziploc and they have the regular strip not the actual zipper piece that you slide across. When I spotted them the other day they looked like a brand new item, haven't seen them advertised anywhere yet.

They're right there with the other Ziploc items.

HTH

Yes my local Albertsons had a ziplock bag that looked like it would be the size of a normal kitchen garbage can. The picture showed the bag full of balls (football, soccor and basketball) I bought the Hefty 2. 5 gal "one zip" bags. I have a weekend trip planned for next week so I will see if I like them. I decided not to buy to SUPER big ones.

Today did a trial run packing one of these bags with cruise clothes; bag not even full; carried bag across the room to place in suitcase, bag tore open below the zipper and clothes fell on floor. Recommend Zip Lock brand!

Today did a trial run packing one of these bags with cruise clothes; bag not even full; carried bag across the room to place in suitcase, bag tore open below the zipper and clothes fell on floor. Recommend Zip Lock brand!

Oh no, I love those 2.5 gal Hefty bags. I'm sorry to read this. The Ziploc XL and XXL would hold a LOT of clothes! Finally opened the box tonight to get a look at them. They're heavier than the regular zip baggies and have a measuring guide in inches on each side. (For fish? LOL :D )

I think these would be great for traveling but they can be used for many things around the house, too. Storing shorts and cruise clothes that are ironed and ready to go.

Keep an eye out for coupons since they do seem to be on the pricey side, there was a 55 center in today's paper and the grocery store doubled it.

Ms B ----> Sucker for new gadgets and products. :rolleyes:

On my cruise in April I used the Ziploc brand bags XL and XXL I put everything in them. I used them to make security checks easy because they don't have to rifle through your stuff, they can see and feel that there is nothing but clothes. I pressed all the air out and it did reduce the wrinkle factor. Another reason I decided to try them was to keep my clothes safe from water or any kind of liquid mishap. I love them and now one of my girlfriends (that laughed at me) uses them for traveling. They are great for hauling dirty clothes home. I liked the idea that my formal clothes didn't have to come home smelling like Phys. Ed. Another thing, I use the two gallon size for everything else. I found that using the bags really kept things organized, for me anyway. 7_6_6v.gif

7_6_4.gif Jo

I used the Hefty brand and have never had this problem. I don't hold them by the zipper portion only, though. I carry them as I would a book or at least grip them firmly around the clothes inside further down the bag.

I was fortunate enough to get to test these big ziploc bags before they were on the market. They sent me both sizes. I stuffed them full and never had a problem with them. The handles were great and the zippers held well. I used them to store winter clothes. Hadn't thought of using them for travel. What a great idea. :)

Personal recommendation (from experience!)

Don't use the Zip-Lok bags on your way to where you're going. They tend to lead to overpacking and possibly overweight bags.

Instead, use them to bring home dirty clothes and stuff where you don't even have to think about wrinkles. That gives you room for souvenirs!

I prefer PackMates. They are the ones that you remove the air by rolling them. Take up MUCH LESS room, and are great for dirty clothes, undies, etc.

They are much sturdier, and I've used on set for about 4 years. I think they cost $25 for a set of 12 on QVC, and they were sized from XS to XL, which you could fit two blankets inside.

I agree about the overpacking (overweight), so be careful.

I've used bags for toiletries, but never clothes.

What is the advantage of packing inside plastic bags? Don't the clothes get more wrinkled? Do you then reuse the bags over and over again in the future?

Seems to me if you tossed the big bags after every vacation it would get expensive.

vmom,

I, and several others on this board, pack our clothes in zip-loc type bags (I know for sure that Hefty makes a 2.5 gal size, perfect for this purpose) to help organize and keep the hands of airline security off of our clothes.

I pack mine by outfit- shorts or pants, a top and the correct underthings for that outfit all fit into one 2.5 gallon bag. Then when I get to my destination, it is so easy to pack into drawers and I don't risk my clothes becoming all jumbled, accidentally wearing the bra I need for a certain lower-cut top, etc. on the wrong day and not having it with the outfit I need it for later. It also helps me be certain that I packed everything I need for each outfit as I don't seal the bag until everything is in it.

If I happen to be on a land vacation where we're chaning hotels daily, my clothes stay neatly in their bags whereas my hubby and daughter, who refuse to use this method, have their clothes all jumbled up and spilling out of the suitcase.

Some say it causes LESS wrinkles. I usually only pack things that don't really get wrinkles- I like cotton knit tops and shorts in denim - so I haven't noticed. For my formalwear for a cruise, I'd be ironing anyway, regardless of how I packed it.

p.s. added on edit: I reuse the bags over and over again. They are quite sturdy.

Yes, they're Ziploc and they have the regular strip not the actual zipper piece that you slide across. When I spotted them the other day they looked like a brand new item, haven't seen them advertised anywhere yet.

Actually they are not that new - I used these last year - and they are great!

What is the advantage of packing inside plastic bags? Don't the clothes get more wrinkled? Do you then reuse the bags over and over again in the future?

I don't particularly want the baggage handlers touching my underwear - or ANY of my clothes for that matter. These days - they go through your suitcase randomly - you never know. If the clothes are packed in see-thru bags, then they can see what is in there, and are much less likely to put their hands or gloves on them.

Wrinkles? Absolutely prevents them. I had not a wrinkle and ALL my cothes were packed in bags. Besides the fact that it made it so much easier to find everything when unpacking, and just easier to pack the suitcase.

I'll never pack for a cruise without bags - worked like a charm!

I agree with landlockedinaz, I pack exactly the same way. It is so darn easy. I don't get wrinkles because when I put the items in the bag I make sure they are folded neatly. I then press out the air. I haven't had any problems with over packing or weight issues. It's all the same clothes just in plastic bags. Once our luggage got stuck outside in a downpour on one of the carts that take the bags to the plane, needless to say my clothes were ruined from the leather bleeding onto the clothes. Never again.

Archived