So many categories sold out 9 months in advance?

We are booked in an Inside on Jewel of the Seas out of San Juan for 3/14/15. We booked under all the sales so I got a good price. I am thinking I might want to upgrade to a balcony. The balconies start at 914 for an E1 or E2. It is also showing all D1 and D2's as sold out. Looking around the web, it says the cruise is 50% sold out. Is this common? I think it seems weird for all of those balconies to be sold out already, especially when the price is, what I think, high. Any thoughts?

We are booked in an Inside on Jewel of the Seas out of San Juan for 3/14/15. We booked under all the sales so I got a good price. I am thinking I might want to upgrade to a balcony. The balconies start at 914 for an E1 or E2. It is also showing all D1 and D2's as sold out. Looking around the web, it says the cruise is 50% sold out. Is this common? I think it seems weird for all of those balconies to be sold out already, especially when the price is, what I think, high. Any thoughts?

a. There are actually tons of D1 cabins available.

b. $914 per person for a balcony on a 7 night cruise during prime spring break time doesn't seem abnormally high to me.

a. There are actually tons of D1 cabins available.

b. $914 per person for a balcony on a 7 night cruise during prime spring break time doesn't seem abnormally high to me.

The first time I did a search on the RCCL site, it changed the date from Mar 14 to April 11th. I just checked again, confirmed Mar 14 and got 0 D level balconies, just E like the OP stated.

The first time I did a search on the RCCL site, it changed the date from Mar 14 to April 11th. I just checked again, confirmed Mar 14 and got 0 D level balconies, just E like the OP stated.

Try your search again with 4 people in the stateroom.

Because Royal Caribbean re-graded their cabins to increase occupancy and at their discretion "popular" categories during certain times of the year or sailings, cabins that hold 4 will not be available to only 2 passengers. :mad:

Apparently suites are not included in this prohibition. :rolleyes:

Because Royal Caribbean re-graded their cabins to increase occupancy and at their discretion "popular" categories during certain times of the year or sailings, cabins that hold 4 will not be available to only 2 passengers. :mad:

Apparently suites are not included in this prohibition. :rolleyes:

Interesting. Never encountered this before when booking ppl. Only with groups has there been this issue. Thanks for the additional info.

Looking around the web, it says the cruise is 50% sold out. Is this common?

I think that means 50% of categories are still available. I don't think that is a high percentage in terms of ship being heavily booked.

I just realized you can look under 'stats' on one of those sites and see past prices for a few years.

I think that means 50% of categories are sold out.

I just realized you can look under 'stats' on one of those sites and see past prices for a few years.

It does indeed mean that it is 50% of the categories that are sold out and not the cabins. Its quite common to see the 50% number as there are so many suite categories that sell out quick.

The stats feature and looking up past prices is a great feature.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Where does it tell you that a cruise is 50% sold out. How can you tell I tell how much of my cruise is sold out ?

There are no sites that I know of that tell you the % of the cruise that is sold out only the % of categories that are sold out.

The RCCL.uk site does show ALL available cabins per category and not just the 15 cabins that US website shows.

Thanks for all the replies, so, if I call RCI will they let me book one of those balconies they are holding for 4? Closer to the cruise will they release them? I only sailed Royal once before, so I didn't know if that was normal. Thanks for checking on the singles cruise, I guess I can live with that! 914 seems high, I got our inside for 541, a balcony would be almost double! Maybe I need to settle for OV.:)

There are no sites that I know of that tell you the % of the cruise that is sold out only the % of categories that are sold out.

The RCCL.uk site does show ALL available cabins per category and not just the 15 cabins that US website shows.

Thanks I guess I mis read that then. I was going to say that would have been a cool site :cool:

It does indeed mean that it is 50% of the categories that are sold out and not the cabins.

The reason that I think it is the %age that is still available is because I just looked at my own July cruise and it says 37%. I don't think there would only be 37% sold out at this point.

Usually 50% and up seems like there is decent availability for cabins.

Edited by marci22

Hello - I hope you get a price drop that allows you to upgrade. We are booked on jewel for March 7, 15. We booked Aft balcony at the beginning of bogo sale (May 3) for 730pp (before diamond discount). Prices went up a couple weeks later. Hang in there.