Car hire drop off in Miami

KeithJenner

We are sailing from Miami next year, but are having some time in Orlando before the cruise.

We will hire a car when in Orlando and then drop it off in Miami before boarding. Because we also want to visit the Everglades, we will be staying at a hotel to the West of Miami the night before we sail.

My preference is to use Avis, and it seems that we have two options for dropping the car off on the morning of the cruise. We could either drop it at the airport depot and get a shuttle/taxi or whatever from there, or use their downtown depot which I understand has started to offer a shuttle bus to the port.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which would be the most sensible. I haven't looked in detail yet at how easy it is to get some transportation from the car hire drop offs at the airport, so don't know whether that will be a good plan or not.

It's a Saturday departure, if that makes any difference.

Any advice gratefully received. :)

On Saturdays the downtown traffic should be tolerable and then a short shuttle ride to POM.

I do not think Avis offers a "free" shuttle to POM from their MIA airport location, which means you are looking at about $25+tip in cab fare. National, Alamo and Thrifty were offering free POM shuttles from MIA the last time I was there.

Unless you get a better deal on the Avis rental by dropping at MIA I would use the downtown location; or maybe change your rental to one that will provide a free shuttle from MIA.

Thanks for the reply (sorry I missed it originally which is why I hadn't come back before).

I think downtown will be the best option. Even if they aren't running the free shuttle from there then I think a taxi will be cheap and easy from there.