What to do when Port is Rostock?

We are on the Constellation, sailing July 20. Our first port day is Rostock. Most of the information I have found has ships docking in Warnemunde. Can we travel between the two cities and spend the day? We have a long day there because of the trips to Berlin but we have chosen not to go there. Should we try to venture out to other sites and if so, is that easy to do? Does anyone have suggestions for this long day, starting in Rostock?

We are on the Constellation, sailing July 20. Our first port day is Rostock. Most of the information I have found has ships docking in Warnemunde. Can we travel between the two cities and spend the day? We have a long day there because of the trips to Berlin but we have chosen not to go there. Should we try to venture out to other sites and if so, is that easy to do? Does anyone have suggestions for this long day, starting in Rostock?

Hi,

Warnemünde a suburb of the City of Rostock and the site of the Cruise Terminal. The Port of Rostock or Uberseehafen, where your ship will berth at LP41, is the commercial dock area on the other side of the River which is used when there are more than two large cruise ships in port on the same day. For a good overview of the two berths in relation to one another see the map at

http://www.rostock-port.de/en/cruise-shipping/passenger-information.html

Everything which you can do from the Cruise Terminal in Warnemünde is possible starting from the Port of Rostock, it is just a little bit more complicated and takes slightly more time.

Some ships run a shuttle service from the Uberseehafen to either Rostock City Centre or to Warnemünde. If you intend to travel further afield, eg Schwerin or Wismar, it is better to go straight into Rostock and then follow the directions on my web site.

To get into Rostock City from the Port of Rostock, berths LP41 or LP31.

Shuttle service - if one is offered by your ship.

Taxi - the quickest way and not very expensive, especially when shared between several people. There are always taxis at the berth.

Bus and train - there is a bus service to the nearest train station, Lütten Klein, where you can pick up the s-bahn into Rostock Hbf (main station). This is the same train you would have taken had your ship been berthed in Warnemünde. Obviously you can also take the train in the other direction to Warnemünde. The bus stop is on the main road about 50m from the dock gate, on the same side. The ride to Lütten Klein takes about 15mins.

Bus #45 departs-

Monday to Friday - every half hour from 7am.

Saturday - every hour from 8:30am

Sunday - every hour from 8:57am

Return from Lütten Klein -

Monday to Friday - 22 and 52 mins past the hour, last bus 7:52pm

Saturday - at 21 mins past the hour, last bus 7:21pm

Sunday - 35 mins past the hour, last bus 7:35pm.

The buses stop right alongside the train platform and are timed to connect with the s-bahn to Rostock which departs every 15 mins, every day.

Tickets can be bought from the machine on the bus.

Hope this helps you to plan your day.

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni
Missed information

Hi there,

I just came back from a Baltic cruise and we docked Warnemunde from 7a-9p. Warnemunde/Rostock was one of my personal favorite for the following reasons:

1. Fantastic public transportation with clear signage. The walk from ship to the Warnemunde train station was less than 10 mins. You can get a day pass (buy from machine) for Eur 4.70 and it covers train/tram/bus/ferry (not the train to Berlin though).

2. I found Warnemunde to be more touristy than Rostock. A quaint little seaside port that was fun to just walk around.

3. I heard that "Friend of Dave Tours" walking tour in Warnemunde got rave reviews. We didn't partake because my mom couldn't handle too much walking. Perhaps you would like it. (Just google)

4. Rostock was a regular German town with shops and restaurants. We had lunch, ate DDR style soft ice cream and did some shopping at the KTC shopping center and also around Neuer Markt.

5. Altogether we were on the ground from 11a-4p. We got some seniors in our group, so it was just the right amount of activity for us.

6. The Rostock tourist office has prepared a map/tourist guide that covers both towns. I was able to pick up a hard copy at the port. Or you can take a look online at their website

http://www.rostock.de/en/tourism/

Hope it helps.

Denise

We were disappointed when we learned our ship would port in the industrial port in Rostock rather than Warnemunde. But, in the end we loved our time in Rostock. So many books (Rick Steve's comes to mind) sell the town short, but we had a great day following the Tourist Information's map for a walk. And, this was on a Sunday when all the shops are closed (note shops do not close in Warnemunde on Sunday). In our case, there was a free shuttle to Rostock.

We too docked in Rostock Port rather than Warnemunde last year. The cruise line did run a shuttle into Warnemunde. However, we had previously booked a tour with Alla in St. Petersburg and ended up booking a Rostock tour through Alla. We had a great tour guide who took us on all varieties of public transportation to visit Warnemunde first, where we did a walking tour. We then took the train into Rostock, where we did another walking tour, had free time to explore (hint: if you visit the Museum of Cultural History - formerly the Abbey of the Holy Cross - they have really nice exhibits and you can visit the restroom without the bother of needing change:)), had lunch, and visited St. Mary's Church with its fantastic astronomical clock. We hitched a ride back to the port on another cruise ship's shuttle. It was a fun day.