GPS App

chicotam

We will be driving from Le Havre to Mont St Michel. We have used the GPS systems provided by the rental car agency, but would like to know if anyone can recommend a GPS App. We are looking for something that would not require data roaming. Thanks for your help.

I used Co-pilot in Australia and New Zealand. I had to download the maps ahead of time but they allowed one free download. It took some getting used to and you may be better off with the one with the rental car.

We will be driving from Le Havre to Mont St Michel. We have used the GPS systems provided by the rental car agency, but would like to know if anyone can recommend a GPS App. We are looking for something that would not require data roaming. Thanks for your help.

It really does not exist if you want an app for a phone. In order to know your current position a device must somehow be connected a cell or be able to directly use the GPS satellites. If you have a real GPS device (like a Garmin Nuvi or Tom Tom) you can buy maps for your unit and then there are no roaming charges since they use the satellites. But any phone or iPad would need to be connected via cells or WiFi (not normally possible in a moving car). So if you want to use your phone you would be well advised to purchase some reasonably priced data plan that works in France. Personally, we have our old Garmin Nuvi which is loaded with all the European maps. Although it required an initial investment, our Garmin has paid for itself many times over plus it gets credit for saving my marriage (DW is an awful map reader and navigator).

Hank

Thanks Hank for responding, I was hoping you would:). We have owned Garmin and are comfortable using it. However it died. We bought the TomTom App for the US just to practice before buying the Europe App. Didn't like it - like you, our situation is similar - I'm a lousy navigator, especially if I'm not familiar with the device and the pressure is on. I did find an App called Navfree where you can load the France map in advance, do all of your figuring when you have Wifi. I've done that and actually plugged in our hotel in MSM and it found it. It couldn't create a route across the pond however:p. Have you ever used this App, or for that matter have any of you other travelers heard of it?

We have driven in France quite a bit, was just looking for some assistance and additional peace of mind. Thanks for your help.

Tam

Tam,

We have only used our old Garmin Nuvi when driving in Europe. The downside is that I used have a great sense of direction, but following that Garmin for many years has destroyed most of my directional instincts. By the way, if you want to look at your driving options without any investment in a GPS, the Michelin folks have a great web site. You can certainly print out their detailed directions for any route. Their site is at http://www.viamichelin.com I will often use that site (before our trips) to check various driving options since we do not always like the default routing on our GPS.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Tam,

By the way, if you want to look at your driving options without any investment in a GPS, the Michelin folks have a great web site. You can certainly print out their detailed directions for any route. Their site is at http://www.viamichelin.com I will often use that site (before our trips) to check various driving options since we do not always like the default routing on our GPS.

Hank

Thanks Hank, that's a good suggestion. Maybe between all of our resources we'll get there in the end. Thanks again for sharing your experiences.

Microsoft Autoroute Europe 2013 (sells for $20-50 depending on if you catch a sale or not) + Globalsat BU-353 or BU353S4 available from Amazon attached to a PC.

Works beautifully as a zoomable moving map with indication of where you are and you also get to choose and adjust your routing.