Carnival Cruise Lines Raises Gratuities

LauraS

I'm not complaining about the rise in the gratuities. But, I received an e-mail from Carnival with a letter dated July 8th stating that if the gratuities were paid by July 7th they would remain at the former rate.

Now I'm just thinking that this letter should have been sent on the 6th or at least on the 7th. I still wouldn't have prepaid our gratuities, but to send the notice after the final date looks pretty bad and not very well thought out.

They did the same thing last time too, prostrating the grandfather.

But you still have the freedom to tip how and how much you like, so if it bothers you, adjust adjust adjust.

We will continue to remove our tips one the first day and use envelopes on the last day.

Lord!! SMH.

Anyway, for timing purposes this worked out well for us. Our cruise is in a few weeks and have already been paid. And by the time we plan the next one, we'll have a nice rounded # to calculate for tips. I have absolutely no issue with the increase.

They did the same thing last time too, prostrating the grandfather.

But you still have the freedom to tip how and how much you like, so if it bothers you, adjust adjust adjust.

The increase doesn't bother me and I have never adjusted my gratuities down. It's just unprofessional for them to send a notice the day after the policy goes into effect telling me I could have saved by prepaying the day before they told me about the increase. Pretty tacky on Carnivals part.

I'm fine with the fact that they increased them. They have to pay for all of these upgrades and building new boats somehow and their employees certainly deserve it! And they are still much cheaper than other cruise lines!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

I know this is going to sound snarky, it's not meant to be but...

surely your time is worth more than the $.50 pp/day that you may (or may not) save? An additional $7.00 per week for a couple, and you're going to tie up your time to find out if the cost is grandfathered?

I am with you! .50 a day per person! First of all the staff works 7 days a week for months away from family so WE can enjoy ourselves on vacation. I am not a long time cruiser but am a long time hospitality employee. In the Grand scheme of things I can't believe .50 is a concern for the amount of work the staff does for 7 days a week and at least a 3 month commitment. Away from family to boot. That was the waiter in me!

Serious .50 cents a day? As long as this goes to staff then no worries.