Dress for dining

Dining

THIS WILL BE OUR FIRST RCI CRUISE AND I AM FINDING MIXED COMMENTS ON THESE BOARDS ABOUT ACTUAL DRESS CODES FOR MDR. WE HAVE VERY LIMITED ROOM FOR LUGGAGE AND NONE OF US ENJOY DRESSING UP FOR MEALS WHILE ON VACATION. WE DO PREFER THE FOOD IN THE MDR OVER THE BUFFET. WILL WE REALLY BE TURNED AWAY IF WEARING DRESS SHORTS AND NICE T-SHIRTS? I HAVE NO ROOM FOR A SUIT TRAVELING WITH 3 WOMEN IN A CIVIC!! AND I UNDERSTAND THE BUFFET IS AVAILABLE BUT WANT THE MDR FOOD.

Wear what you want in the MDR. No one seems to care and those that do won't say anything.

If you're concerned, take a nice pair of dress pants with a polo. You'll be better dressed than most.

You will not be turned away for wearing shorts. Formal nights do bring out a lot of people in formal wear, but it's your choice really. Most other nights, it's whatever.

JMO

Well you have opened a can of worms. Everyone will have a different say. We have done 6 cruises with them, we are very casual people and have never been turned away from the main dining room. On your daily cruise compass they will say SUGGESTED attire. It's not mandatory attire. Enjoy your cruise!! At the end of the day it's your vacation so enjoy it in whatever you want to wear :o

Can of worms is right. Hey but how much more room does something other than a "nice tee shirt" take up ? Or how much more room does the remainder of pants legs as opposed to shorts take up ? Granted you won't need a suit but what is a nice tee shirt anyhow ? No curse words? No scantily clad women? No rips or stains or is it the nice t shirt because it has sleeves ?

Dining

THIS WILL BE OUR FIRST RCI CRUISE AND I AM FINDING MIXED COMMENTS ON THESE BOARDS ABOUT ACTUAL DRESS CODES FOR MDR. WE HAVE VERY LIMITED ROOM FOR LUGGAGE AND NONE OF US ENJOY DRESSING UP FOR MEALS WHILE ON VACATION. WE DO PREFER THE FOOD IN THE MDR OVER THE BUFFET. WILL WE REALLY BE TURNED AWAY IF WEARING DRESS SHORTS AND NICE T-SHIRTS? I HAVE NO ROOM FOR A SUIT TRAVELING WITH 3 WOMEN IN A CIVIC!! AND I UNDERSTAND THE BUFFET IS AVAILABLE BUT WANT THE MDR FOOD.

EXPECT PEOPLE TO YELL BACK AT YOU! :cool:

No...Not Again! faint.gif

You do know that there is another thread on this same page clearly labeled Women in Shorts In The MDR...Right???!

Edited by bigque

I usually don't even read the dress code threads anymore, but felt like replying to this one. I don't particularly like dressing up for dinner, but to me it has always been a matter of respect for my host (Royal Caribbean) and other guests.

To quote Miss Manners, regarding someone who wants to flaunt the requested dress code:

“ 'Who he is' is someone who understands that the choice of clothing constitutes a symbolic system — but who is willing to use it only to broadcast himself, even at the cost of symbolizing disrespect for others and for a ceremonial occasion.

. . . . It is not the degree of formality that is at the core of this conflict; it is the implication about the hosts who choose the style of the occasion. The disrespect would be equally true of someone who attended a highly informal wedding deliberately dressed in formal clothes, thus implying, 'I’m proper, even if you are not.' "

Just my $.02

Guest maddycat

Throw in a pair of black slacks and a few golf shirts in your suitcase and you'll be fine. After dinner go back to your cabin and change back into your shorts and t-shirt.

To sum it up (though this thread will probably go on for pages anyway):

There is a sign at the door that shorts are not allowed for dinner. This is not usually enforced, though it occasionally is. On my last cruise, there were people in shorts every casual night. If this is enforced on your cruise, the worst that will happen is that you may have to return to your room to change, so you should bring one skirt or pair of long pants just in case.

The rest of what people will write will be about what they think you should do. If you care about what these people think then you can listen to them. If you don't care what they think, then ignore them. Listening or ignoring will have no effect on whether you will be allowed to wear shorts in the MDR.

At the end of the day it's your vacation so enjoy it in whatever you want to wear :o

As I said in the other thread, I'm a naturist - I don't want to wear a top at all in the dining room. I should be fine, right? Nobody should have the right to say anything, right?