Very disappointed with OCEANIA's handling of the Ukraine situation

Reading the roll call for this cruise seems they were notified early April of the changes ...(after final payment)

Not sure when all the turmoil was taking place over there

some people seemed to understand & move forward planning

Some wanted the cruise cancelled as it was not safe to be in the region

some were irrate

They would have ticked off some no matter what

I do not know how it all turned out but seems everyone was home safe

Lets deal with the OP and a few comments. First, Oceania is not one of the ultra luxury lines and, in fact, operate 2 of the old Renaissance ships just like Princess and Azamara. They do have a very nice newer ship which we would like to try when we get the chance.

As to cancelling ports, we have a little experience with this having cruised to well over 100 ports on 6 continents over a lot of years. The norm (and a legal requirement) is that they will refund the port taxes, but most cruise lines do not provide additional compensation although they could have done some nice things like perhaps a free cocktail party. Providing substitute ports is difficult in the Black Sea where nearly all the best ports are in Ukraine. And coming back to Istanbul a day early was a great move since this is, by far, the best port in the region. What happened has to disappoint the passengers, but that is the nature of our current world.

Hank

Lets deal with the OP and a few comments. First, Oceania is not one of the ultra luxury lines and, in fact, operate 2 of the old Renaissance ships just like Princess and Azamara. They do have a very nice newer ship which we would like to try when we get the chance.

Hank

Actually they have 3 R ships & 2 New Oceania class ships ;)

The small ships just had a big refurbishment done

You sound rather jealous of the people who cruise luxury ships. Not all are wealthy, by the way. The OP sounds irate, but not "entitled." I think there is quite a bit of merit to their complaints.

Jealous? Wow, I can't remember ever having that emotion. Thanks for the chuckle, though! ;)

So no, not jealous. I am comfortable enough with my finances that I don't have any reason to envy others for what they may have that I don't. Besides, I have many things that they don't have, so perhaps if anyone should be jealous, it should be them. :cool:

But you have to admit that the thought of a bunch of the 1% getting all upset because they were told they can't have something is quite amusing. :D

yes I really really know its the policy. yes I know that the Ukraine is dangerous now but saying all that can't we at least sympathize with the original poster. Wouldn't you expect for the cruise line to do something? at least refund the port charges. A couple of ideas. A credit. a free tour. something... it would be worth the public relations...IMO others may differ.

No I don't sympathize with the OP. My very first cruise - on Oceania - happened during Hurricane Sandy. I chose that particular cruise originally because not only was it scheduled to go to New England and Canada, but also to Bermuda for 2 days. Because of the hurricane, the Bermuda leg of the cruise was cancelled and the ship stayed in Canada. In addition, the ship couldn't disembark in NYC as originally planned and had to disembark in Boston instead. I read the terms and conditions on my guest ticket and so I was not disappointed or upset.

Were there whiners and complainers? You bet! "Why didn't we go to Bermuda first?" (Sure, let's head straight into the hurricane!) "The seas were too rough coming back from Canada to Boston." (Would you rather disembark in Canada instead?) And the usual chorus demanding "compensation." People on the East Coast lost their homes and businesses, while we were safe, well-fed and cared for.

If pax insist on being compensated for every change that happens on a cruise, then prices will have to rise dramatically to cover the payouts.