Very disappointed with OCEANIA's handling of the Ukraine situation

We sailed from Athens to Istanbul on OCEANIA's May 29 th trip on the Black Sea.

OCEANIA had cancelled all 3 Ukraine ports (Sebastopol, Yalta and Odessa) but replaced none!! They added a SEA DAY, then overnight in Constanta, allowing to sell ridiculously pricy tours to Bucarest and Transsylvania, and then taking us back to Istanbul one day early!

In fact, our 12 days/10 ports of call cruise became an 11 days/7 ports of call cruise! All this with no acknowledgement that this could be upsetting to passangers and no compensation wathsoever.

Passangers were so upset, that's all we talked about for the first few days onboard, ruining the cruise atmosphere!

After over 20% of passengers complained to the concierge and General Manager, the Captain finally acknowledged the problem. But from OCEANIA's Head Office? NOTHING!

We were all upset about not getting what we paid for, ie. 12 days and 10 ports of call and felt we should have been compensated in another way if they were too lazy to find alternative ports (which they did on their July sailing!!).

What do you think and what did your cruise line do for you?

OCEANIA had cancelled all 3 Ukraine ports (Sebastopol, Yalta and Odessa) but replaced none!! They added a SEA DAY, then overnight in Constanta, allowing to sell ridiculously pricy tours to Bucarest and Transsylvania, and then taking us back to Istanbul one day early!

In fact, our 12 days/10 ports of call cruise became an 11 days/7 ports of call cruise! All this with no acknowledgement that this could be upsetting to passangers and no compensation wathsoever.

Passangers were so upset, that's all we talked about for the first few days onboard, ruining the cruise atmosphere!

After over 20% of passengers complained to the concierge and General Manager, the Captain finally acknowledged the problem. But from OCEANIA's Head Office? NOTHING!

We were all upset about not getting what we paid for, ie. 12 days and 10 ports of call and felt we should have been compensated in another way if they were too lazy to find alternative ports (which they did on their July sailing!!).

So, you would have preferred that the enter a port and put their passengers in danger just so you won't miss visiting a port? If they docked as planned and something had happened to some of the passengers, those 20% complainers would then be complaining about the cruise line putting them at risk.

Deciding to dock a cruise ship in a port isn't like going the downtown to do a little shopping. It's not like they leave it to the last minute to decide which ports they will visit. Most ports require advance reservations, especially considering the logistics of handling hundreds of passengers suddenly swooping down on port facilities. Some ports may be more adaptable to last minute arrangements, but many are not, especially if the ports don't see cruise ships very often and don't have dedicated facilities to serve them.

I understand your disappointment, but instead of complaining about missed ports, be grateful that the company put your safety above revenue.

Edited by boogs

So, you would have preferred that the enter a port and put their passengers in danger just so you won't miss visiting a port? If they docked as planned and something had happened to some of the passengers, those 20% complainers would then be complaining about the cruise line putting them at risk.

That's not what the OP is complaining about - no suggestion of sticking to the original itinerary & porting in Ukraine.

But the situation in Ukraine had been brewing for months, with plenty of time for decent re-vamped itineraries & the OP & fellow-cruisers were complaining that the alternative schedule was far from satisfactory.

Difficult to comment without knowing the rest of the planned itinerary, but three ports are a lot to replace, this cruise was port-intensive & if the orig itinerary was all in the Black Sea there are limited other options. Especially since it would clearly be best not to change the other port dates.

An extra 24 hours in Constanta, a pretty limited port, does give the opportunity for travel inland. Was there enough notice to book an independent trip to places like Bucharest or Burgas?

And there are far worse places to spend an extra 24 hours than Istanbul.

JB :)

Why I understand the frustration during the time you were there I think they made the correct call. What I don't think is ok is your description of how it was handled. I am not one that believes you should be compensated but I know some would disagree. I do think there whould have been better communication and dialouge.

To answer both your questions, I do think your expectations are more than what is typically done in this sort of situation, especially as this is a safety issue and not within the control of Oceania. Contractually the cruise line is not obligated to replace cancelled ports; most of them do refund port charges. That Oceania tried to do something at all with additional tours and overnight extensions is a bonus. It is unfortunate over 20% of the pax wasted their time discussing it for days; but that also means over 75% were seasoned travelers who understand this sort of thing happens all the time for a variety of logistical, mechanical and safety reasons.

For one thing, your 12 day holiday was still 12 days. The length of a cruise is determined by the time from embarking to disembarking, not the time spent actually at sea, and just because your last night was spent tied up in Istanbul rather than at sea, doesn't mean that day didn't count. Sounds to me like you're exaggerating to try and make your complaint sound more valid.

Second, it's the ship's job to do what they can to get you places, but it's your job to make the best of it if they can't. If you choose to spend the first week in a grump because you didn't want to go to Istanbul or Constanza, that's your problem, not the ship's.

As it happens, I've been on a cruise which deliberately finished with two nights in Istanbul. I wasn't sorry, Istanbul is worth another day, and I hope you were in a frame of mind by then to be able to appreciate it and get something out of your holiday.

If I am reading this right, you didn't find out until you were on the ship that the 3 port stops were cancelled?? If that is the case, there probably wasn't time to get approval for replacement ports. You can't just call a port and say "Oh, we will be stopping at your port as we had to cancel port...".

Considering this situation has been ongoing for months now, it seems to me that Oceania dropped the ball by not having a back up plan in place, or better yet simply changing the itinerary in advance. My two cents.

Did you read your cruise contract....in essence, your ticket? It specifically states that the cruiseline does NOT have to take you anywhere, and the ship doesn't even have to be seaworthy.....there is no protection for you at all.

It's in their best interest to NOT kill you, so they generally do a lovely job and make you happy. However, if there is a chance that they may put you (or their interests) in danger, they will avoid it.

I don't know why anyone would want to go to that area of the world in this day and age, anyway.

Communications might have been improved, but in the circumstances the line probably made the right decision. Substituting ports is not all that easy - often requiring much advance planning. Most ports in that part of the world are industrial - cargo emphasized, and would, if substituted, still have been seen as grounds for complaint.

Sympathy for the disappointment felt, but the cruise contract pointed out that there is no sure thing about itineraries; weather and political considerations are always risks.

I don't know why anyone would want to go to that area of the world in this day and age, anyway.

You've got no soul, cb ;)

Places with a lot of history, particularly 19th/20th century. A mix of peoples & different ways of life, very different to "the west".

Not the sort of place to laze on the beach but other than impecunious northern Europeans who go there for cheap summer sunshine, they're places folk visit for the experience.

But the Crimea is the highlight, and of course the OP & thousands of others booked before the squabbling between neighbours.

JB :)

It can take time to rearrange the schedule and that's probably why the cruises after yours had this done and yours didn't.

It's a bummer for sure but I think keeping you safe is their first priority and they did that. You can't really expect the cruiseline to pay out because of something like this. I would think that a $100 OBC pp for the next cruise they booked would have been a nice gesture though.

I think I get it. A luxury cruise ship full of wealthy, "Don't you know who I am?" entitled passengers who didn't get their way. What could possible go wrong with this situation? ;)

Edited by sloopsailor

Here is Oceania's policy about itinerary changes, from the 2014-15 Winter Brochure https://www.oceaniacruises.com/emags...dex.html#/162/

Itinerary - All itineraries, including points of embarkation and debarkation, are at the discretion of Oceania Cruises and may be modified up to and during the voyage. Oceania Cruises reserves the right to amend, cancel or make substitutions for any travel component without prior notice to the guest, including hotels, ports of call or other modes of transportation if, in its opinion, the situation requires a change or cancellation of arrangements. Oceania Cruises does not assume responsibility or liability for any loss, inconvenience, or expense incurred by guests as a result of any changes or cancellations as detailed in the Guest Ticket Contract. When practicable, Oceania Cruises will promptly notify guests or their Travel Agent of a cruise itinerary change.

Here is Oceania's policy on changes as detailed in the Guest Ticket Contract as of January 1, 2013:

-Cancellation by Oceania Cruises, Inc.: Oceania Cruises, Inc. reserves the right to withdraw and/or cancel a cruise or cruisetour or to make changes in the itinerary and hotel accommodations whenever, in its sole judgment, conditions warrant. In the event of charters of the vessels, truces, lockouts, riots or stoppage of labor from whatever cause or for any other reason whatsoever, the Owner or Operator of the vessels identified in the current brochure may, at any time, cancel, advance or postpone any scheduled cruise or cruisetour and may, but is not obligated to, substitute another vessel or itinerary and Oceania Cruises, Inc. shall not be liable for any loss whatsoever to guests by reason of any such cancellation, advancement or postponement. Oceania Cruises, Inc. shall not be required to refund any amount paid by any guest who must leave the cruisetour prematurely for any reason, nor shall Oceania Cruises, Inc. or the owners or operators of the vessels identified in Oceania Cruises’ brochure be responsible for the lodging, meals, return transportation or other expenses incurred by such guest.

yes I really really know its the policy. yes I know that the Ukraine is dangerous now but saying all that can't we at least sympathize with the original poster. Wouldn't you expect for the cruise line to do something? at least refund the port charges. A couple of ideas. A credit. a free tour. something... it would be worth the public relations...IMO others may differ.

When I've been on cruise ships that missed a port, most of the time all I received was a refund in the port fees. Perhaps the Oceania incurred charges by overnighting in two ports that equaled out to the amount of fees you paid for the missed ports. They did overnight in Istanbul, right? I can't imaging them forcing passengers off the ship a day early without compensation.

And you've got to get away from complaining passengers. There were probably more on that cruise than usual, but they're always around on every cruise. I'm sure there were many who had a good time. Ship happens.

When I've been on cruise ships that missed a port, most of the time all I received was a refund in the port fees. Perhaps the Oceania incurred charges by overnighting in two ports that equaled out to the amount of fees you paid for the missed ports. They did overnight in Istanbul, right? I can't imaging them forcing passengers off the ship a day early without compensation.

And you've got to get away from complaining passengers. There were probably more on that cruise than usual, but they're always around on every cruise. I'm sure there were many who had a good time. Ship happens.

The OP has posted the exact same complaint on this and the 'Other Mediterranean Ports' forum. And they haven't posted again on either forum. The OP implies that they were forced to leave the ship a day early. I find that so ludicrous that the entire complaint is probably full of similar exaggerations. Some of you are assuming that they did not get the port fees refunded. We don't know that because the OPs only post was full of anger and not very rationally written, so critical information is missing. Without more, coherent information, I don't know what the answer should be. Perhaps the OP will come back. But I won't be surprised if he doesn't. There are too many posters who post a complaint and never come back to help us understand their situation, unfortunately making postings of complaints from infrequent posters suspect.

Edited by boogs

yes I really really know its the policy. yes I know that the Ukraine is dangerous now but saying all that can't we at least sympathize with the original poster. Wouldn't you expect for the cruise line to do something? at least refund the port charges. A couple of ideas. A credit. a free tour. something... it would be worth the public relations...IMO others may differ.

They definitely need to refund port charges and taxes for missed ports. I agree with you that they should have done something--a small gesture and sincere apology with good communication can go a long way to smooth ruffled feathers.

Edited by ducklite

I think I get it. A luxury cruise ship full of wealthy, "Don't you know who I am?" entitled passengers who didn't get their way. What could possible go wrong with this situation? ;)

I am far from wealthy & certainly not the entitled passenger but Oceania is my cruise line of choice

Do not judge all by 1 person

sometimes things just go wrong

Lyn

They definitely need to refund port charges and taxes for missed ports. I agree with you that they should have done something--a small gesture and sincere apology with good communication can go a long way to smooth ruffled feathers.

we were not on that cruise so we have no idea what really happened

I know on some of the cruises to the same area Oceania announced the changes back in March

I think someone on the O forum posted the May cruise had not changed at that point but it would have been corrected

Sometime the itinerary changes go to the TA's whether your TA passes it on is another story

I have my doubts that they were kicked off the ship a day early as well

Sometime Oceania will have an open bar if a port is missed at the last moment

I think all the cruise lines were peddling as as fast as they could at the time for cruise in that region

People were cancelling the Baltic cruises as well

the cruise lines were struggling to keep bookings

Unless we were there we do not know what really happened

JMO

YMMD

Lyn

You sound rather jealous of the people who cruise luxury ships. Not all are wealthy, by the way. The OP sounds irate, but not "entitled." I think there is quite a bit of merit to their complaints.