Freedom of The Seas Part II

In 2013 we had a 7 night booked on Freedom but due to my position being eliminated at my former company we decided obviously to postpone our trip...

Well, a year later, I have started up my Sales Agency, and although starting any business takes time to build, I think we have decided to go ahead bite the bullet in 2014.

A big reason we are doing this now is the deal we have through Royal is almost too good to pass up, and our oldest Daughter will be started High School in 2015, so we are not sure what/if any vacation we will do. Price on our original cruise was 3,300 for the 5 of us in a Family Promenade Stateroom which is perfect for a large family. We kept the deposit of 1,250 and throughout the last 10 months or so we have saved an additional $900 or so in price reductions so we only have another 1,260 or so to pay off, which includes tips! Less that $2,400 for 5 on the 7 night Freedom seems too good to pass up, and we can so use the break to gather our sanity...

I'm sort of in the same boat as you. My upcoming trip on FOS has actually been canceled twice. The first time it was supposed to be a "family vacation," celebrating our oldest daughter graduating college in May, 2013, but she was offered a good job in March, before graduation, so of course we put a hold on that trip for May of 2014. Then starting late fall and right through the winter, my husband and I both were dealing with our elderly parents not doing well at all (my dad passed away in February), and there was no way we could leave, so that trip was put on hold.

Even now it's a bit touch and go, but my inlaws moved into assisted living last week, and seem to be doing well. Now our big fear is someone not using their walker, falling, and breaking a hip or something.

We never lost money; had canceled both times right before final payment, and we hadn't booked flights yet. And now it will just be my husband and I sailing in September on FOS. We've turned the two reservations we had for us and our daughters, into a B2B for us, and our flights have been booked. Everything is insured.

Every day I say a little prayer that everyone will remain healthy and we'll be able to make this trip. And I feel a little guilty about that, but oh my gosh do we need a break.

I'm glad you're going to get a break, Redsfan. Sounds wonderful. Enjoy your cruise!

I'm sort of in the same boat as you. My upcoming trip on FOS has actually been canceled twice. The first time it was supposed to be a "family vacation," celebrating our oldest daughter graduating college in May, 2013, but she was offered a good job in March, before graduation, so of course we put a hold on that trip for May of 2014. Then starting late fall and right through the winter, my husband and I both were dealing with our elderly parents not doing well at all (my dad passed away in February), and there was no way we could leave, so that trip was put on hold.

Even now it's a bit touch and go, but my inlaws moved into assisted living last week, and seem to be doing well. Now our big fear is someone not using their walker, falling, and breaking a hip or something.

We never lost money; had canceled both times right before final payment, and we hadn't booked flights yet. And now it will just be my husband and I sailing in September on FOS. We've turned the two reservations we had for us and our daughters, into a B2B for us, and our flights have been booked. Everything is insured.

Every day I say a little prayer that everyone will remain healthy and we'll be able to make this trip. And I feel a little guilty about that, but oh my gosh do we need a break.

I'm glad you're going to get a break, Redsfan. Sounds wonderful. Enjoy your cruise!

ugh, so sorry to hear that. With elderly parents it can always be touch and go with expected/unexpected illnesses. I hope it all works out for everybody...!

You got a fantastic deal for 5 people. Did you book when it was 3rd & 4th sail free?

Thanks

Originally we booked in early 2013 for Dec 1st...when things changed with my career we held out deposit and just rebooked to the 2014 version 1 day later. I believe we have had 2 or 3 drops in price, the big one I think was the 3rd and 4th sail free. We also still have a $100 OBC, so we really have lucked out thus far, especially because our discounts were able to be applied because our Staterooms were still available at the time the promos ran. With only 4 Staterooms like ours I was shocked...