Nieuw Amsterdam cabins

ronjaz

Hi all this may first post. Looking forward to this forum

My wife and I are cruising the Mediterranean in Sept next year. This not our first cruise

We have chosen an inside cabin this time it is on the Upper Veranda #I6606

I'd love to know what you all think of that choice, actually wasn't my choice it was the agents pick.

Thanks and regards

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I think you mean I 6066.

Sorry -- we have never stayed in an inside cabin.

But others who have stayed in that cabin or similar cabins can answer your question.

I even checked and could not find any pictures of your cabin but I did find one cabin similar to your cabin on her sister ship the Eurodam (your cabin is not a connecting cabin) -- at this link:

http://halfacts.com/6151-eurodam/

Your cabin is more forward on the ship and is a little larger.

Can't speak to your specific cabin but we have been on the Nieuw Amsterdam 3 times and love the ship. Since you are doing a MED cruise, you will probably be in a different port each day so, in my view, cabin selection would not be as much of a concern as if you were doing a Transoceanic cruise.

As inside cabins on the Nieuw Amsterdam go, you did about as well as possible.

You have one of the largest non-suite cabins on the ship. I haven't checked where it is on the fore/aft position, but the cabin itself should be very, very comfortable.

Thanks all who replied to my post. Most helpful

I was thinking of making a change, but on reflection we'll stick with cabin 6066

Unless of course if anyone's comes up with a real negative.

Regards

My parents are on the Zuiderdam right now on an inside cabin on that deck around where the one you are in. They said it is spacious -according to my dad not quite as big as the room we will be in on the NA on deck 1 in a couple of weeks - we are inside on Deck 1 - but comfortable. It looks like there are similar room layouts on the Zuiderdam and NA with the Zuiderdam being slightly smaller and fewer cabins. Why I am trying to say - probably not successfully- is that the inside rooms tend to be somewhat spacious so you will likely be ok.

Why I am trying to say - probably not successfully- is that the inside rooms tend to be somewhat spacious so you will likely be ok.

ONLY the J- & K- insides on Main Deck, and the I-category cabins on that higher deck are spacious.

The other insides ARE NOT spacious at all. Please, be careful not to mislead anyone thinking about an inside. The various insides, even in the same category, can be quite different.

Edited by RuthC

Sorry I guess it is a matter of perspective. All of the interior cabins we have travelled in on HAL have been spacious compared to other interior rooms on other lines if equivalent level. I was also referring to what my dad said (who is currently on the Zuiderdam) a room on that level is like. I never meant to mislead anyone rather just saying ours and my parents observations regarding rooms in that location (my parents are 4* and we are 2*).

All of the interior cabins we have travelled in on HAL have been spacious compared to other interior rooms on other lines if equivalent level. I was also referring to what my dad said (who is currently on the Zuiderdam) a room on that level is like.

I don't know what HAL ships you have been on, but your signature shows R-class ships. In that case, you are absolutely correct: the large insides are quite comfortable. In addition, on the R-class, and for that matter the S-class, pretty much all the large insides are identical.

Not so on the Vista and Signature class ships.

On the Zuiderdam, your Dad is right on as far as the I-inside on that upper deck. It is a great size.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I think you mean I 6066.

Sorry -- we have never stayed in an inside cabin.

But others who have stayed in that cabin or similar cabins can answer your question.

I even checked and could not find any pictures of your cabin but I did find one cabin similar to your cabin on her sister ship the Eurodam (your cabin is not a connecting cabin) -- at this link:

http://halfacts.com/6151-eurodam/

Your cabin is more forward on the ship and is a little larger.

Thanks for the info' I have noted that the cabin is stand alone, no cabins either side of it. so I was wondering if they may be service areas either side?

regards

Ron

My wife and I are cruising the Mediterranean in Sept next year. This not our first cruise

I'd love to know what you all think of that choice, actually wasn't my choice it was the agents pick.

Thanks and regards

Did a 24 day last summer Barcelona to Venice. We were on the port side balcony VB 6054. Only concern I would have is if your near the stewards entrance to their area for getting ice at the machine and dropping their dirty dishes inside. We would always go down to that area to get more ice. Did see inside cabins in the area. The ship is wonderful and since you are in port everyday you will not be in your cabin much. I will go look at the map to see where the ice machine is at and get back to you.

Saling Nieuw Amsterdam March 15/2015 14 day Caribbean Cruise

Thanks and regards

Just checked the deck plans and yes you are right by the in and out service area for all stewards, and the big ice machine inside. You might want to think maybe cking another inside cabin if the noise might be a problem. Did you book with a TA? I am surprised he or she did not advise you of this. Just FYI!

Enjoy the wonderful Nieuw Amsterdam! Beautiful cruise.

3Star Mariner

Sailing Nieuw Amsterdam March 15/2015 14 day Caribbean Cruise

Thanks and regards

Sorry just noticed you are from New Zealand! We were there and did a 3week adventure holiday! We hiked Milford Sound, did kayaking on the Able Tasman sea!!! Love your wonderful country! So I will hear from you much later with the time zone!

Just checked the deck plans and yes you are right by the in and out service area for all stewards, and the big ice machine inside. You might want to think maybe cking another inside cabin if the noise might be a problem. Did you book with a TA? I am surprised he or she did not advise you of this. Just FYI!

Enjoy the wonderful Nieuw Amsterdam! Beautiful cruise.

3Star Mariner

Sailing Nieuw Amsterdam March 15/2015 14 day Caribbean Cruise

Thanks so much for the info' very good

I have just been in contact with our NZ agent and they are looking into it for us.

I'll let you know how we get on

Ron

Your welcome!

Look forward to the info!

Denise

Your trip to NZ sounds great. It is truly a lovely part of the country.

We live in the North Island in Morrinswville, a small town in rural NZ. A very rich dairy area

My wife and I are taking a 24 night cruise in the Mediterranean in Sept next year.

In 2012 we did Alaska, that was great.

Have you got any plans coming back our way?

Regards

Ron S

Your trip to NZ sounds great. It is truly a lovely part of the country.

We live in the North Island in Morrinswville, a small town in rural NZ. A very rich dairy area

My wife and I are taking a 24 night cruise in the Mediterranean in Sept next year.

In 2012 we did Alaska, that was great.

Have you got any plans coming back our way?

Regards

Ron S

You are going to love your cruise! We are returning back to Europe and going to rent an apt. In Nice for a month and travel around France in 2016. My husband will be retiring then. Yes we plan on coming back to New Zealand flying over and doing another cruise with Holland America! Hope all goes well with your cabin choice. I just felt for the amount of money spent on this wonderful cruise you need to know exactly where you will be. Also they have a nice program where once on board go to the front office and sign up for their laundry service plan. As much as you can stuff in one of your bags (laundry bag) is one price! I am sorry I do not remember the price, but it was reasonable.

Happy sailing Ron!!!!!!

PS please keep me informed on your cabin ok?

Denise :)

You are going to love your cruise! We are returning back to Europe and going to rent an apt. In Nice for a month and travel around France in 2016. My husband will be retiring then. Yes we plan on coming back to New Zealand flying over and doing another cruise with Holland America! Hope all goes well with your cabin choice. I just felt for the amount of money spent on this wonderful cruise you need to know exactly where you will be. Also they have a nice program where once on board go to the front office and sign up for their laundry service plan. As much as you can stuff in one of your bags (laundry bag) is one price! I am sorry I do not remember the price, but it was reasonable.

Happy sailing Ron!!!!!!

PS please keep me informed on your cabin ok?

Denise :)

Its been a pleasure talking to you and thanks very much for all the information you have handed on. This is a great forum for info' gathering, I have learned a great deal in such a short space of time

May be if you return to NZ we could make contact.

Will also keep you up to date with cabin choice

Thanks once again :)

Ron Smith

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks and regards

HAL have kindly changed our cabin to # 7041 on the Rotterdam deck?

we thanks them very much

We did have some concerns regarding positioning of cabin #6066

anyone stayed on the Rotterdam deck and maybe in this cabin #7041

Ron

Edited by ronjaz
wording change