3 Songs that Carnival Has to Stop Playing

Ph0kis

This doesn't mean I don't like the songs, it just means they've made them cliche'

Got to stop playing;

1. Bob Marley's "Jammin"' - The man did a lot of great work, better than Jammin', but they've burned this song out on cruises

3. Buster Poindexter's (David Johansen, of NY Dolls), "Hot, Hot, Hot" - Just old and worn

3. Macarena - It's just terrible

There are clearly 3 types of people:

1) Those who hate to dance

2) Those who like to dance but feel rhythmically challenged and so like to be told exactly what to do

3) Those of us who just want something with a good melody and beat and we'll decide when to clap, or raise our hands or move our feet, thank you very much.

The problem is that the emphasis seems to be on type 2.

I have seen a few people post this point of view. I have to disagree. I love to line dance. I also love to freestyle dance. And my DH and I love to do traditional ballroom. Cruising offers us the chance to do all three. Music and dance are like laughter. they unite people and raise the spirit.

I love all these songs, but don't take them away, just offer more variety. And also limit the number of times they play "shots" I don't even know who sings it. Another of my favorites is danzo kaduro...think that's the name.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We toured the Imagination yesterday as a pre wedding tour (we are getting married on board in 3 weeks) and they actually did the Macarena....maybe it's like Beetlejuice, if you say it too many times it shows up!

Oh they didn't tell you.....you've gotta dance the Macarena as the first dance at your wedding.....haha

Congrats on the wedding.

How about the song in the MDR on the last night??? UGH! I've heard it WAY TOO MANY TIMES!! Well your bags are packed, its time to go, blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah.

Ha! Ha! Ha! That cracked me up! But, I'm going to be hearing it soon as we leave this weekend for a 3-dayer to Mexico. :D

I have seen a few people post this point of view. I have to disagree. I love to line dance. I also love to freestyle dance. And my DH and I love to do traditional ballroom. Cruising offers us the chance to do all three. Music and dance are like laughter. they unite people and raise the spirit.

Very nicely said.:D The DH and I also love to dance and it is fun to dance all kinds of dances while cruising. On our last cruise (on the Pride 2 years ago), we danced to a really great Salsa band that was playing in the Atrium. It was awesome fun!:D

LIKE - but forgot to add complimentary Metamucil tastings in the library, followed by free Geritol samples.;) All kidding aside, I think the cruise lines do a decent job of attempting to please everyone, with the exception of music, that is.

Same here - they can take their rap/hip hop/ghetto music and toss it overboard as far as I'm concerned. Then again, I also think the country CD's deserve the same fate. I personally like classic rock, and I know there are those that don't care for that either. I think the best approach would be to have the DJ's play a general mix of EVERYTHING, not just what THEY like - that way the rappers, Top 40, classic rockers, country listeners, jazz listeners, etc could all have a fair experience. Now as far as classical music, not sure how that would fit in the mix, however. Something about jamming Led Zeppelin, Beethoven, and Pitbull in the same set just really sounds weird.:)

I agree. On the BREEZE, they had a DJ most days. But the kid played EVERYTHING. hard rock, classic rock, country, hip hop and dance music, even some oldies. The result was that everyone was able to enjoy themselves. Most afternoons around that pool, there was a fun, party atmosphere and just about everyone was smiling and dancing and just having fun! On FREEDOM, it was either hip hop or that frigging giant TV, and half the people could not enjoy themselves. Completely different vibe.

I love all these songs, but don't take them away, just offer more variety. And also limit the number of times they play "shots" I don't even know who sings it. Another of my favorites is danzo kaduro...think that's the name.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Danza Kuduro - Don Omar! Yes, I'm so excited that they play that! I was going to ask if they play any music from the Caribbean that's not calypso or reggae - specifically reggaeton, bachata, Pop Latino...?

Our wedding DJ did a mash up of every (great and awful) line dance we could find... from the electric slide and cupid shuffle to the chicken dance and YMCA. Just a snippet from each -- "Young man... YMCA" just one time.

It lasted 4 to 6 minutes, and included 28 songs. We never laughed so hard in our lives... my 70 year old parents and teenagers were side by side, and loved every moment.

Later in the evening, the kids were playing it like Simon-Says -- when you didn't know a dance, you were 'out' and had to do the chicken-dance until the end. The groom (in his 40s) and my daughter (17 at the time) were the last still dancing -- it was a bonding moment that they still smile about.