need beach w/bar that we can taxi to&from

bar10der421

DH is not a beach person, but will happily enjoy a nice beach bar while I spend a couple of hours on the beach. My only requirement is a lounge chair, whether free or rented for two or so hours.

An all day or all-inclusive or ship excursion that tells us when we will be picked up for transport back to the ship is not really what we are looking for. We prefer the flexibility of being able to grab a cab when we are ready to leave. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I will be posting this question on the Curacao and Dominican Republic forums as well....hopefully we will find a beach somewhere! Our other port is Grand Turk and that is a no brainer!!

Take a taxi to Palm Beach and ask to be dropped off at the entrance to De Palm Pier. Bugaloe, the bar is at the end of the pier. There are vendors on both sides of the pier who rent chaises and umbrellas.

A guidebook will detail EVERY beach and it's amenities! Libraries have guidebooks!

Not sure if that was sarcasm but, actually, thanks. It has been a while since I have been to the library and that is a very good suggestion.

Take a taxi to Palm Beach and ask to be dropped off at the entrance to De Palm Pier. Bugaloe, the bar is at the end of the pier. There are vendors on both sides of the pier who rent chaises and umbrellas.

Thank you so much. Sounds like a plan!

A guidebook will detail EVERY beach and it's amenities! Libraries have guidebooks!

Guidebooks are great resources but I find the biggest issue with them is they aren't necessarily geared towards a cruiser with limited port time. I still find fellow cruisers with previous experience the best asset when choosing a beach. Often those experiences can relate to the cost, amenities and overall value for the time we are able to spend within a specific port.

That may be but what would be the point of having this site if everyone just went to the library with their questions? also, guidebooks only present a single point of view whereas CC will give you multiple points of view.

I was about to ask the same question as the OP when I stumbled across this thread. DW and I only want to go to the beach for about 3 hours (1-4pm) but would like to have a bar available. No need for an all inclusive since we will be on the beach only for a short time. Don't want a tour, just to grab a cab at the port and a cab back. Preferably a beach that's not overly crowded.

Also, how late do stores stay open in Orangestad? Want to walk around from about 7-9pm (after dinner). Also, are there any grocery stores near the port? Want to see if I can pick up some Dutch products that I miss having since we moved away from the Netherlands.

Edited by Out to sea!

There is a grocery store on the street behind the main street (I do not know the name, but it is easy to find) Just walk back a block, and cross the street. There are souvenir shops and places to get a cold drink also

There is also a pharmacy a few blocks down. I like to get my Aruba Aloe products there, they are always a few dollars lower than at the terminal shops.

There are loads of beach bars on the beaches in Aruba. Sometimes you can go bar hopping with all the Happy Hours.

Amstadam Manor has the Passions on the Beach bar opened for daytimes. Very comfortable and Eagle Beach is better than Palm beach. It is at a bus stop so easy to get to and easy to get back to port. The beach bar has good food and drinks. Also other places to eat and drink nearby.

The Bugaloo and Moomba bars are more action and fun but the beaches are not as nice. Moomba beach is more of a working pier with fishing and tour boats. Bugaloo is more crowded. We loved all three and spent time at all of them.

As for guidebooks I found they go out of date too fast. Digital real-time information is fresh and not just one authors view. Cruise Critic and Tripadvisor are the best.

Thank you so much. Sounds like a plan!

This is exactly what we did, two weeks ago, on the Breeze. Nice bar right at the end of the pier. You can watch all of the watersports going on around you. We rented chairs right there for, I think, $15 each and an umbrella for $10. You will literally be able to see your hubby while you are baking in the sun.:D:D

Oh, and an added bonus for us, Dunkin Donuts right before the bar. HEAVENLY iced coffee in Aruba.:D

This is exactly what we did, two weeks ago, on the Breeze. Nice bar right at the end of the pier. You can watch all of the watersports going on around you. We rented chairs right there for, I think, $15 each and an umbrella for $10. You will literally be able to see your hubby while you are baking in the sun.:D:D

Oh, and an added bonus for us, Dunkin Donuts right before the bar. HEAVENLY iced coffee in Aruba.:D

Sounds perfect! By the way, how did you like the Breeze. BFF and I just booked today for a girl's cruise for this October--western 6day. Really looking forward to exploring a new class ship.

Also, how late do stores stay open in Orangestad? Want to walk around from about 7-9pm (after dinner). Also, are there any grocery stores near the port? Want to see if I can pick up some Dutch products that I miss having since we moved away from the Netherlands.

Stores in downtown Oranjestad close at 6 pm.

Stores in Palm Beach are open later.

There are large grocery stores on the highway between downtown Oranjestad and Palm Beach. You probably would not want to walk the distance in the heat.

Stores in downtown Oranjestad close at 6 pm.

Stores in Palm Beach are open later.

There are large grocery stores on the highway between downtown Oranjestad and Palm Beach. You probably would not want to walk the distance in the heat.

Bad thing is we don't get to port until 1300 and leave at 2200 so if the stores close at 1800 there would be no point walking around Oranjestad in the evening then (like Nassau).

Quick question then. Does the Palm Beach have fresh water showers available? If so, then we can walk around the stores after going to the beach then just stay on ship in the evening. I guess we could also walk the stores for an hour then hop the bus to Palm Beach but I don' t like to try and hide things we may purchase while enjoying the beach.

I'm not sure about showers, but you can do plenty of shopping along the main road at Palm Beach. There are lots of stores and vendors set up at night. Just throw on a beach cover up and you'll be fine. There are also tons of restaurants in that area. Everything around there is casual.

Sounds perfect! By the way, how did you like the Breeze. BFF and I just booked today for a girl's cruise for this October--western 6day. Really looking forward to exploring a new class ship.

We LOVE the Breeze!!!!!!:D:D:D

She is by far, our favorite ship.

We also did an 8 night Eastern on her, last April, and just had to book it again!!!!!

Every bell and whistle you could want/need.

You ladies are going to have a BLAST!!!!:D

Enjoy!!!!