Europe Family Cruise

flannbarr

Our family has cruised over 10 times between RCCL, Carnival and Princess.

In the summer of 2015, I am considering a European cruise, either the British Isles or Scandanavia and Russia (my son is adopted from Russia). I am 50 and my wife is 55. Only our then 13 1/2 year old son would be joining us and not our 21 year old son.

Except for our Alaskan cruise, all of our cruises have been to the Carribean. Europe would be a huge change for the family but that is for us to figure out.

I know Celebrity is not a family cruise line. I am not picturing our son would be going to a teen club but rather would be with us most of the time.

I am just looking for inout from those who have made that jump from the beach cruises to Europe and also to Celebrity.

There will be children on board Celebrity. It's not Disney or Carnival but there will be a sufficient number of children on board the ship.

We took our children on board Celebrity for many years.

At 13 1/2 many do not want the teen club but they will get together from time to time.

As to Europe, it will be very nice for the family and the younger one.

We found that the key is to pace yourselves. We would not do all day tours and from time to time we would see a port on our own and not on a tour.

I highly recommend doing this cruise and also Celebrity.

Keith

We are doing the Scandinavia and Russia cruise next summer with our daughter who will be 13.

We deliberately chose this cruise as although there a lot of port days they are easy ports to visit. Most of them are only short distances from the ship so we don't have to stay out all day on a tour if we don't want to.

Our daughter preferred the look of Celebrity to other cruise lines partly because there would be less children. She is happy to join in with other teens but likes the thought of being able to spend time with us if she chooses without getting comments! I think she also believes she will get a bit more freedom if there are less children on there running around. It will be our first cruise with Celebrity.

Most of our previous holidays gave been beach based but she is getting to the age now where she wants to see more of a country and try different things. Which this cruise gives her the chance to do.

My vote would be the Baltics this time because your son would get to experience St. Petersburg at a perfect age, i.e., it will give him a great foundation for world history as he goes into HS and a sense of his roots early in the typical teenage existential crisis, plus he's more likely to be enthusiastically engaged at 13-1/2 than as an older teen (you never know!). We took three kids on that itinerary at about that age, and they loved it.

As has been noted, it is port-intensive and heavy on historical and cultural sightseeing, so it's important to do a lot of homework to identify what will keep everyone most engaged in each port and also what fun and active things can be sprinkled in here and there, e.g., a bike or Segway tour, an afternoon at Tivoli Gardens, etc. Reading locale-themed books and watching movies is a plus. I recommend a private tour operator in St. Petersburg to customize your 2-day, 1-night visit. IIRC we did all the other ports on our own. The Ports of Call forum will become your best friend--a fabulous resource.

If your son thrives on the shipboard socialization, July and August are better months for kids as most Euro schools and many US schools are in session in June. If that's less important (they really don't have much time to hang together, except some evenings and a rare sea day) and you can get away in May or June, cruise and air will likely be cheaper. (Just FYI, most families choose the Med for their first Euro cruise, so the Baltics run always skews lower on young people). Speaking of budget, Scandanavia enjoys a high cost of living, so plan accordingly!

As for cruise line, X is my current preference, but for cruises that are all about the destination, I invariably go with the line offering the itinerary that most appeals to my trip goals. When comparing itineraries, go beyond matching up cities--look at times in port and then also research where a ship actually ports. For example, some lines dock outside of Stockholm, which can eat into port time and add a transfer logistic to manage.

Perhaps you could promise your wife an Ireland trip for a big birthday or anniversary?! IMO that is a destination much better explored by road trip through the amazing countryside punctuated by village pub nights with traditional music!

Have you done Oasis or Allure? If not, I hope you can find a way to do both the big trip and a getaway on Oasis! That class is, hands down, our family's fav for a fun cruise!

Have fun researching your options!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We did a Baltic cruise with our daughters when they were 11 and 12. It was a wonderful way to introduce them to Europe. I'd echo some earlier comments that many of the ports are quite doable on your own but you need to do your research to know what to see when you get there.

Absolutely arrange a private guide for St. Petersburg. We booked our guide and driver for two days and got to do whatever we wanted to do, we could even change plans on a moment's notice. The price may look a little steep at first glance but if you start comparing it to the cost of the several ship tours you'd have to arrange to see the important locations, you may find it's a real value. The company you choose will provide you whatever information you need about the necessary visas to visit Russia.

We are doing the Baltic cruise next summer. My two daughters will be 15 and 18. We have cruised on Princess and Disney. My youngest loves the teen clubs and the chance for some independence with kids her own age. She's enjoyed the teen experience on Disney very much -- the ports and excursions are incidental to her. She's really looking forward to her first time on Celebrity. The soon to be 18 year old would rather eat glass than go to a teen club. Luckily now she'll be 18 and can go to the spa. She'll be in heaven. Our roll call has several families with teens.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We have sailed both the Oasis and Allure. We are planning an adults only trip to Ireland in 4 years for some anniversaries.

I will need to research the ports and see what appeals to us more.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We cruise Europe with our two DDs (young teens) who this time around have chosen Celebrity and turned down lines that many would say cater for families/children -they do not want the fuss. Celebrity does have its kids clubs and I would think that any cruise during European/Uk summer holidays will see a good few kids using them. European cruises seem to be regarded as port intensive and our two seem to like being with us each day (probably because we pay !). The only thing that concerns me with the X cruise is evening entertainment - winner of 'The Voice ' ??? Britains Got Talent ??? -I have never rated the shows and who are these people? (I wonder what the DDs will make of it, they have never heard of the people either)

Edited by 4Mast

I don't see the roll call. Can somebody please send me the link?

I assume you mean the ports forum, not the roll call for any given cruise. Just follow this path: Ports of Call>Europe>Northern Europe & Baltics. Then you can bookmark the location in your preferred browser.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We're booked for the Scandinavia & Russia cruise with our two kiddos (will be 10 & 5). We went back and forth a bit about whether it would be appropriate for our kids, but since it is port-heavy, I think it will be fine.

We're planning to take the 6 months prior to the cruise to learn about the different countries as a family--just learn a few words, make a dish from the area, talk about the sights, etc.

I am torn between the British Isles (my wife loves Ireland) and Scandanavia/Russia.

I would do this cruise in lieu of the Oasis of the Seas in April 2015.

Europe is far more interesting than the Caribbean, especially if you love history, art and culture.

Both choices, British Isles and the Baltic would be excellent.

We did the British Isles on Infinity and loved it. Here is my review:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=221137

We did Russia with Vantage that included Moscow and STP as well as a river cruise. This is a great way to see Russia. I highly recommend it.

Here is my review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1478384

My Son did a Baltic cruise that was in STP for two days and loved it. I am sure you would like it.

Both choices are good, like choosing between two flavors of ice cream.

Our family has cruised over 10 times between RCCL, Carnival and Princess.

In the summer of 2015, I am considering a European cruise, either the British Isles or Scandanavia and Russia (my son is adopted from Russia). I am 50 and my wife is 55. Only our then 13 1/2 year old son would be joining us and not our 21 year old son.

Except for our Alaskan cruise, all of our cruises have been to the Carribean. Europe would be a huge change for the family but that is for us to figure out.

I know Celebrity is not a family cruise line. I am not picturing our son would be going to a teen club but rather would be with us most of the time.

I am just looking for inout from those who have made that jump from the beach cruises to Europe and also to Celebrity.

We did the Baltics on Celebrity Eclipse with our children and it was absolutely amazing. Our children do enjoy the clubs on Celebrity. The ports on a Baltic cruise are stunning. I can't recommend it enough. Here is a video of our trip.

We did the Baltics on Celebrity Eclipse with our children and it was absolutely amazing. Our children do enjoy the clubs on Celebrity. The ports on a Baltic cruise are stunning. I can't recommend it enough. Here is a video of our trip.

What a great video. Thanks for sharing.

I actually booked a bump cabin on both the Baltic and British Isles cruise and we will decide in the next couple of weeks which cruise we will take. They both look fabulous.

My then 8 year old son and I did Princess British Isles cruise in august of 2008 and LOVED it. I highly recommend it. What I like best about the Princess itinerary is that LeHavre is on Day 11 of the 12 Day cruise and we disembarked (with advanced permission from the cruise line in writing) in LeHavre- took the train to Paris and spent two nights there (I recommend three). It was a wonderful cruise. I like Celebrity but think a 13 year old will enjoy the Princess ships more. They have an outdoor movie theater, which we used daily (bring sweats) and really good entertainment. An indoor pool that kids can use all the time (unlike Celebrity where there are limited hours for kids). I'd do Princess British Isles again in a heartbeat. They had bagpipes playing for us on arrival in Scotland and the two excursions we did- Giant's Causeway and Loch Ness were great.

In 2015 Royal Princess is doing the itinerary and I'll bet that ship has even more bells and whistles that a 13 year old will like.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

We just returned from the Baltic aboard Eclipse. We made friends through our roll call with two couples who had children - an almost 12-year-old and a 15 -year-old. Both of the kids seemed to be having a good time. We went on some shore tours with them, and when they were on board I think they took part in the shipboard programs set up for their respective age groups. Both said they were having a great time.

We also occasionally saw groups of children with the ship program "counselors," and they always seemed to be having fun.

Update: I looked at Royal and they don't have an indoor pool for kids on that ship. So that might make or break your cruise (if swimming is of importance)if the outdoor pools aren't heated. In British Isles the outdoor pools need to be heated.

The Royal Princess looks great. We have enjoyed Princess in the past with great service and it is quite a bit cheaper than Celebrity. Movies vs. Pool--not sure which matters more but probably the pool.

We did a British Isles cruise on the Azamara Journey and had a great time. The ship and service was outstanding. But the purpose of this note is to underscore the point that the British Isles are worth seeing. We started out in Edinburgh and went counter clock wise around the north of Scotland with stops in Ireland and wales plus two Channel Islands. Te Journey being small sailed up the Seine to Ruen before finishing in Southampton. Celebrity should also be upstanding touring the UK