Nightwalkers Lounge Removal

Direwolves

Does anyone know why Princess is removing the night walkers lounge (and ramp) from it's ship's when they go in for up grades or retrofits?

Princess Cruiser's

Welcome to CC......

Skywalkers was removed from the Grand Princess only due to structural issues and weight. No other ship is due for this.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

They only removed it on the Grand as it was their first attempt and it was creating a drag on the ship. After that they used better materials and fixed the problem. I don't think there is any intention of removing the handle bar Skywalkers from and any of the other Grand Class ships.

On the Grand they removed because of the weight . The Grans was the first and it was made of steel . Had a lot of maintenance issues with skywalkers.

All the other ships it was made with aluminum.

Right. Plus, on the Grand, it was built completely aft. If you look at other ship's photos, Skywalkers (not Nightwalkers) is moved further forward. Being completely aft and made of steel, it created a lot of stress on the hull. Rather than wait for it to fail, it was removed.

There are no plans to remove Skywalkers from any other ship as it's location and structural integrity were modified on the next ship built, the Golden, and modified further on subsequent ships.

Edited by Pam in CA

Sorry everybody for the error in the name. Guess I have been watching too much Game of Thrones.

I thought I heard on our cruise this spring (2014..Western Caribbean on Caribbean Princess) that they had taken it off one ship and were planning on taking it off the rest, or not including it on future ships. The ship video even had pictures of the one removal. Either way, we are not bar flies any more and prefer the other nightly activities.

Princess Cruiser's

Edited by Direwolves

Sorry everybody for the error in the name. Guess I have been watching too much Game of Thrones.

I thought I heard on our cruise this spring (2014..Western Caribbean on Caribbean Princess) that they had taken it off one ship and were planning on taking it off the rest, or not including it on future ships. The ship video even had pictures of the one removal. Either way, we are not bar flies any more and prefer the other nightly activities.

Princess Cruiser's

You can see the video of the Grand Skywalkers removal on you tube.

That rumor about removing others has been going around awhile from what I have seen.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Princess Cruiser's

We were told by staff members that the Skywalker's Bar was being eliminated on the Princess ships as they go into dry dock for refurbishing. I guess that crew member was incorrect. But, then we were also told by a crew member that there would soon be an International Cafe on all of the ships, too. But, I don't think that is happening either.

Princess Cruiser's

I think you talked to the same crew member that I talked to. (lol) at least, my memory is still intact.

Either way, we are not bar flies any more and prefer the other nightly activities.

Princess Cruiser's

But Skywalkers is much more than a bar/lounge. It's a great daytime viewing area, as well as a quiet place to read or visit with friends. You really should check it out! :)

We were told by staff members that the Skywalker's Bar was being eliminated on the Princess ships as they go into dry dock for refurbishing. I guess that crew member was incorrect. But, then we were also told by a crew member that there would soon be an International Cafe on all of the ships, too. But, I don't think that is happening either.
Crew members are usually the most unreliable sources of information that doesn't affect their department. Rumors below decks are rampant and it's a bit like the old game of " telephone": every time it's repeated, the story changes. Repeat after me: no more Skywalkers are being removed. :)

They are adding the IC to ships gradually but to do so requires a much longer dry dock as structural changes need to be made in addition to routine maintenance. It might take ten years. Who knows? The Coral now has a small one and the Island is getting one.

How did this drift into a discussion about the IC? Anyway, every Grand Class ship now has an IC except Diamond Princess which was retrofitted for the Asian market. Coral has hers and Island is booked for her major refit next April. So that's every ship except the R-class and Sun Class based in Australia--which are very doubtful because of their age and size.

And re Skywalkers: the only other ships with the shopping-cart-handle design are Golden, Star and Caribbean. Star has already had a minor refit subsequent to Grand's amputation, so one would think this would have come up then. And I don't see any gaps in any of their schedules of the 4 weeks or longer that such an exercise would require.

I take what even senior officers say in public with the requisite grain of salt; and though rooted in the truth, any idle conversations with everyday crewmembers about the future of the fleet are usually 99.9% gossip. Not that they are intentionally being fibbers or rumor mongers, just that they are kept out of the loop by corporate.

Edited by fishywood

And re Skywalkers: the only other ships with the shopping-cart-handle design are Golden, Star and Caribbean. Star has already had a minor refit subsequent to Grand's amputation, so one would think this would have come up then. And I don't see any gaps in any of their schedules of the 4 weeks or longer that such an exercise would require...

Does anyone know if there were any daytime observation areas added to the Grand to compensate for her loss of Skywalkers? Or is she now lacking in this area (as well as having only a partial midship staircase)? Just wondering, as I am considering an upcoming cruise on her. I've checked the online deck plan, and don't see anything offhand.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Ryndam2002

Does anyone know if there were any daytime observation areas added to the Grand to compensate for her loss of Skywalkers? Or is she now lacking in this area (as well as having only a partial midship staircase)? Just wondering, as I am considering an upcoming cruise on her. I've check the online deck plan, and don't see anything offhand.

Thanks in advance!

Other then the addition of the lounge one5 no.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

The one5 lounge is on Deck 15--two decks lower than the level of the travellator that took you to Skywalkers, which was even further elevated. There is a very nice outdoor sitting area behind it but the view is not comparable (and it may be closed off if there is a wedding that day). I find the inside of the one5 cold and sterile compared not only to Skywalkers but to other lounges on board; though based on other comments I am in the minority with this opinion. When I was on in December 2012 the aft lifts which used to go to Deck 17 stopped at 15; I walked up one flight above and found the area that used to be the Deck 16 lift lobby completely gutted--but the ship's maps on each deck next to the aft lifts had some new name for this area (which I have forgotten). Maybe someone can update if anything has been constructed there.

Edited by fishywood

But Skywalkers is much more than a bar/lounge. It's a great daytime viewing area, as well as a quiet place to read or visit with friends. You really should check it out! :)

That's exactly the reason that I love Skywalkers. Peaceful, can't beat the view. Can read or nap. It is also a nice place to have a Meet & Greet (have been to a few of those there).

I agree. I love going up to Skywalkers during the day and reading. The view is amazing and it is so quiet!

We heard the same thing about Skywalkers when on the CB this past spring. It was also from a crew member.

There is no doubt that the weight caused a very slight increase in fuel consumption, (the ship rides no higher out of the water with the removal-draft is still the same) and perhaps even an even smaller issue with drag in the winds. However the main issue was "metal fatigue"; a potential to weaken the steel through constant vibrations. The issue was dealt with in later ships during construction through strengthening the steel supports with cross members within the support towers. It would not surprise me to see these structures removed long before the ships are withdrawn from service as eventually even the reduced amount of vibrations will take their toll.

However the main issue was "metal fatigue"; a potential to weaken the steel through constant vibrations. The issue was dealt with in later ships during construction through strengthening the steel supports with cross members within the support towers. It would not surprise me to see these structures removed long before the ships are withdrawn from service as eventually even the reduced amount of vibrations will take their toll.

Also with much lighter materials were used.