Travel Kettle

Dorset Cruiser

I understand that kettles are only provided on cruises departing from the UK due to legal safety/fire regulations in the US or Caribbean which prevent cruise lines from placing these in staterooms.

That is correct. When we last sailed out of Southampton we were surprised to see a kettle in our cabin. The steward told us they would all be put back in storage after this cruise as the ship was doing a trans Atlantic next.

Thank you for your e.mail.

Unfortunately you aren't allowed to bring items that heat up onboard any of

our ship. This includes kettles, irons, curling tongs etc

We do offer 24 hour room service which is free.

Many thanks

Duncan Benyon

Guest Support Unit

Celebrity Cruises

UK & Ireland Guest & Trade Services

Building 3, The Heights

Brooklands

Weybridge

Surrey KT13 0NY

United Kingdom

Well, this is the response from Celebrity so where does that leave all the passengers who routinely bring curling tongs on board???

...Well, this is the response from Celebrity so where does that leave all the passengers who routinely bring curling tongs on board???

All I can say is that:

1. I've never heard of a passenger who had their "curling tongs" confiscated on boarding. Likewise for similar hair care items that heat up including hair dryers.
  2. I have very frequently read postings on these boards where Celebrity shore based customer service gave information that was incorrect and/or out of touch with the actual practices on the ships.

As for kettles: I haven't tried bringing these, or similar items on board, for the past 4 or 5 years. My impression from reading posts about other's experiences over the years is that these types of items might or might not be allowed indicating that policies are either enforced inconsistently or interpreted inconsistently on the ships. So if you choose to bring one be prepared for the chance it will be taken and held during the cruise. If you put it on checked luggage and it is not allowed your luggage will be diverted to a security inspection room (fondly nicknamed the "naughty room" here on Cruise Critic) for you to open in front of security rather than delivered to your cabin causing a delay in getting your luggage. If I was unsure of an item and worried about the delay I'd pack it in a separate bag or hand carry it on board.

Edited by Lsimon

I'd love to see them ever enforce a rule preventing ladies from taking hair straighteners/curling tongs onboard :o

They'd have an awful lot of very very unhappy women (me included) in fact it would be a deal breaker for me. I would not have frizzy hair for two weeks! My GHDs are definitely coming with me.!

Seems a bit harsh forbidding a simple travel kettle -but I guess they their is a good reason. Curling Irons/straighteners forbidden- result could be a ship full of baldies!

How about a 3 multigang plug socket - one plug to the wall socket and (say) 3 on a bar?

I'd love to see them ever enforce a rule preventing ladies from taking hair straighteners/curling tongs onboard :o

They'd have an awful lot of very very unhappy women (me included) in fact it would be a deal breaker for me. I would not have frizzy hair for two weeks! My GHDs are definitely coming with me.!

😄😄😄

I've decided that, as I cannot get a definitive answer, and as I know you can take on hair tongs, straighteners and hairdryers which all heat up, I am going to pack my little kettle and take the chance on being invited to the 'naughty room' for the first time 😄

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

������

I've decided that, as I cannot get a definitive answer, and as I know you can take on hair tongs, straighteners and hairdryers which all heat up, I am going to pack my little kettle and take the chance on being invited to the 'naughty room' for the first time ��

Hi,

In actuality...you did receive a definitive answer...at least to your question about the kettle...the Celebrity Rep you apparently contacted informed you that kettles are not allowed. Nobody else, and specifically nobody from Celebrity, has told you that kettles are allowed...others on this thread have told you what they have done; what other cruise lines do; what Celebrity provides on certain ships/certain sailings etc...But you have received a definitive response to your question, from Celebrity, reference kettles not being allowed to be brought onboard by passengers...Now, what you decide to do after receiving this definitive answer, yet apparent contradiction concerning curling irons(tongs)...is completely up to you !:D

Enjoy your cruise !

Woody

Edited by rwr235

😄😄😄

I've decided that, as I cannot get a definitive answer, and as I know you can take on hair tongs, straighteners and hairdryers which all heat up, I am going to pack my little kettle and take the chance on being invited to the 'naughty room' for the first time 😄

Well we only live once. Personally I don't understand the logic against kettles. If they don't enforce hairstraightners then why irons and kettles?

Hi,

In actuality...you did receive a definitive answer...at least to your question about the kettle...the Celebrity Rep you apparently contacted informed you that kettles are not allowed. Nobody else, and specifically nobody from Celebrity, has told you that kettles are allowed...others on this thread have told you what they have done; what other cruise lines do; what Celebrity provides on certain ships/certain sailings etc...But you have received a definitive response to your question, from Celebrity, reference kettles not being allowed to be brought onboard by passengers...Now, what you decide to do after receiving this definitive answer, yet apparent contradiction concerning curling irons(tongs)...is completely up to you !:D

Enjoy your cruise !

Woody

Hi

Yes I was told that NO items which have to be heated up are allowed to be taken on any Celebrity ship. What has your contribution added ?

I intend to enjoy my cruise - I always do 😄😄😄

Well we only live once. Personally I don't understand the logic against kettles. If they don't enforce hairstraightners then why irons and kettles?

Hi,

I certainly don't know the answer to this question...and can't speak for Celebrity...but this is what comes to mind for me. Celebrity, and any cruise line, has a HUGE concern about the biggest safety concern at sea...fire...and therefore want to limit to the greatest degree possible, the number of items that "heat" up.

At the same time Celebrity, and other cruise lines, want to make cruising as enjoyable as possible for their guests, and allow what these days are considered a normal part of a large majority of individual's daily routines...hair dryers, curling irons and other beauty items as such. Celebrity also realizes that tea/tea making is important/routine to a large segment of the population cruising from the UK...so to try and be more accommodating, they have provided kettles on certain ships/sailings. The difference is this...inventory control...which thereby adds to safety. If every cabin on the Eclipse sailing out of Southampton is issued a kettle...then every Stateroom Attendant on that ship knows that kettles are present, and can be instructed/reminded to check the safety of them each time they service the room. If certain passengers on different ships/itineraries, where the kettles are not issued to every cabin, bring on their own kettle, the staff are not cognizant of this, and thereby that extra safety check is diminished.

So, they limit as many items as possible...while at the same time allowing certain "necessary" items to make cruising as enjoyable and as safe as possible.

But as cruisestitch says...their ships...their rules, and they have no obligation to explain/justify them all to us !

Enjoy

Woody

Hi,

I certainly don't know the answer to this question...and can't speak for Celebrity...but this is what comes to mind for me. Celebrity, and any cruise line, has a HUGE concern about the biggest safety concern at sea...fire...and therefore want to limit to the greatest degree possible, the number of items that "heat" up.

At the same time Celebrity, and other cruise lines, want to make cruising as enjoyable as possible for their guests, and allow what these days are considered a normal part of a large majority of individual's daily routines...hair dryers, curling irons and other beauty items as such. Celebrity also realizes that tea/tea making is important/routine to a large segment of the population cruising from the UK...so to try and be more accommodating, they have provided kettles on certain ships/sailings. The difference is this...inventory control...which thereby adds to safety. If every cabin on the Eclipse sailing out of Southampton is issued a kettle...then every Stateroom Attendant on that ship knows that kettles are present, and can be instructed/reminded to check the safety of them each time they service the room. If certain passengers on different ships/itineraries, where the kettles are not issued to every cabin, bring on their own kettle, the staff are not cognizant of this, and thereby that extra safety check is diminished.

So, they limit as many items as possible...while at the same time allowing certain "necessary" items to make cruising as enjoyable and as safe as possible.

But as cruisestitch says...their ships...their rules, and they have no obligation to explain/justify them all to us !

Enjoy

Woody

Your points are reasoned and well thought out. I understand what you are saying.