Travel Kettle

Dorset Cruiser

Your other cruises have not been on Celebrity. Each cruise line has its own rules, as I'm sure you know. Celebrity doesn't allow kettles. You can Oder hit tea from room service at no charge, or get hot water at the Dispenser in the buffet. If you pack one, it is liable to be taken from you. When thy see something on the scanner that they think is suspicious, your luggage is diverted to the so-called "naughty room" and held there until you claim it and remove the item. It can be a big hassle.

Your other cruises have not been on Celebrity. Each cruise line has its own rules, as I'm sure you know. Celebrity doesn't allow kettles. You can Oder hit tea from room service at no charge, or get hot water at the Dispenser in the buffet. If you pack one, it is liable to be taken from you. When thy see something on the scanner that they think is suspicious, your luggage is diverted to the so-called "naughty room" and held there until you claim it and remove the item. It can be a big hassle.

Not totally true. We have always had a kettle with Celebrity as we have sailed on Eclipse out of Southampton in the UK, and this year we are traveling on Celebrity Infinity out of Harwich (also in the UK) and posts have already confirmed that kettles are provided.

Check out the cabin tour on Eclipse at 5.35 on the sliding scale of the video and you will see it. ;)

http://vimeopro.com/user330528/cruise/video/64506999

I understand that kettles are only provided on cruises departing from the UK due to legal safety/fire regulations in the US or Caribbean which prevent cruise lines from placing these in staterooms.

I also understand that passengers are not allowed to bring their own kettles (even when departing from the UK) are they have not been certified as safe to use and the ones supplies by X have.

That all make sense from a safety point of view and I would never consider breaking these rules.

But what I don't understand is how can curling tongs and hair straighteners be ok for passengers to bring aboard and use and how are these appliances safer than a kettle:confused:

Just asking.

I understand that kettles are only provided on cruises departing from the UK due to legal safety/fire regulations in the US or Caribbean which prevent cruise lines from placing these in staterooms.

I also understand that passengers are not allowed to bring their own kettles (even when departing from the UK) are they have not been certified as safe to use and the ones supplies by X have.

That all make sense from a safety point of view and I would never consider breaking these rules.

But what I don't understand is how can curling tongs and hair straighteners be ok for passengers to bring aboard and use and how are these appliances safer than a kettle:confused:

Just asking.

I'm pretty sure that P&O always have kettles including when sailing the Caribbean so I doubt it is due to law but rather an expectation by the Brits of tea making facilities with all accommodation.

It is the restriction placed on Celebrity by their Insurers. They negotiated an exception when they started sailing from Southampton and were, more directly, competing with P&O. No doubt they could negotiate further exceptions but do not feel the necessity sailing from anywhere but the UK.

Its a shame - but rules are rules and we will leave it at home this time😔. We have taken our little kettle on Princess, NCL, Royal Caribbean and have had no problems at embarkation or through the duration of the cruises. In fact our stewards would, more often than not, wash up our teamugs. The kettle was always in plain view. Kettles are always provided by P&O wherever the ships cruise from. Fred Olsen also provide kettles in staterooms.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by Dorset Cruiser

I say bring it along. I have always brought my coffee maker along on my transatlantic voyages. I actually bring it along to use in hotels while in Europe.

However, as it has never been confiscated on Celebrity or Cunard I also use it

for my first or second early morning coffees. I like my own fresh brewed coffee!

Like a kettle it shuts off after brewing. By the way, I am referring to 16 transatlantic crossings split between Cunard and Celebrity. it seems to me,

however unlikely, the worst is that it gets held for you until the end of the voyage.

By the way, I never travel without my steamer, 32 cruises and no naughty room.

Thanks Elaine. I might just risk it as we do like our cuppa in the morning.

When and where are you going?

Chris

Never had a problem with our kettle in the past, the hot water in the jugs just isn't hot enough for a decent cup of tea.

We are of to the Med end Sept on Equinox Chris

Edited by Elaine0138

I'm looking forward to Constellation Elaine as never been on Celebrity before. Not really sure about some of the ports of call, but it's a cruise and I'm sure we will enjoy it 😄. Hope you have a good time - sure you will.

Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD