Breakaway and insects...

TravelJoe

First -- no panic or issues here -- our experience when NCL thought there *could be* an issue. We were on the Breakaway last week (7/6) when NCL thought there could even be the slightest possibility of bed bugs or any other sort of insects in a stateroom or on board, and how they reacted to it.

Our 25 y/o daughter broke out in a rash on day 2 of our trip -- we think most likely now it was due to the propellant in her suntan lotion (Coppertone), but at the time to be safe that it wasn't sun poisoning or something else, my wife took her to deck 5 medical to be sure. They were great and gave her some cordozone cream and told us it was most likely an allergic reaction as it didn't appear to be sun poisoning or anything else.

But during the exam, they noticed two spots on her arm that looked like bug bites and asked her about them. She didn't recall getting them in NYC before the trip, but she only noticed them while in medical.

The medical crew immediately excused themselves and advised that they were going to contact pest control and that they would not be allowed back in the stateroom for an hour or so while they investigated the matter.

I saw a crew of 3 people show up in our stateroom (I wasn't with them in medical), strip all the bedding and bag them, remove the mattresses and start to use an ultra-violet scanners and some other device to scan the room before asking me to leave. When they were through about 75 minutes later, they confirmed they found nothing, in not only the bedding or carpeting, but they checked the ceiling tiles to ensure there was nothing up there as well. They also sprayed the room with an okay smelling vinegar-like something as a further precaution.

I'm sure bed bugs show up all the time (I've been in some 5-star hotels where they have outbreaks), and am sure cruise ships are no different, but I was very impressed how seriously they took this matter and jumped on it immediately.

First -- no panic or issues here -- our experience when NCL thought there *could be* an issue. We were on the Breakaway last week (7/6) when NCL thought there could even be the slightest possibility of bed bugs or any other sort of insects in a stateroom or on board, and how they reacted to it.

Our 25 y/o daughter broke out in a rash on day 2 of our trip -- we think most likely now it was due to the propellant in her suntan lotion (Coppertone), but at the time to be safe that it wasn't sun poisoning or something else, my wife took her to deck 5 medical to be sure. They were great and gave her some cordozone cream and told us it was most likely an allergic reaction as it didn't appear to be sun poisoning or anything else.

But during the exam, they noticed two spots on her arm that looked like bug bites and asked her about them. She didn't recall getting them in NYC before the trip, but she only noticed them while in medical.

The medical crew immediately excused themselves and advised that they were going to contact pest control and that they would not be allowed back in the stateroom for an hour or so while they investigated the matter.

I saw a crew of 3 people show up in our stateroom (I wasn't with them in medical), strip all the bedding and bag them, remove the mattresses and start to use an ultra-violet scanners and some other device to scan the room before asking me to leave. When they were through about 75 minutes later, they confirmed they found nothing, in not only the bedding or carpeting, but they checked the ceiling tiles to ensure there was nothing up there as well. They also sprayed the room with an okay smelling vinegar-like something as a further precaution.

I'm sure bed bugs show up all the time (I've been in some 5-star hotels where they have outbreaks), and am sure cruise ships are no different, but I was very impressed how seriously they took this matter and jumped on it immediately.

Hope all is well. Just a note. The Breakaway is docked in Bermuda for 3 days

Bermuda is semi tropical and FULL of bugs

When the ship is docked , it's like a house in Bermuda

So the will fly in when your stateroom doors are open

I have left Bermuda with all kinds of insect bites

It seems NCL did the right thing for you

Thanks for all the thoughts on my daughter. Rash from 2 day pretty much subsided by the time we got to Bermuda, but didn't totally go away until the trip home. She wanted to try the Rock Wall, but decided standing outside in the sun wouldn't be the best thing to do (we agreed).

We all had a great trip and can't wait to book again!