children and sea sickness?

ladner39571

Mom of the year here got her motion sickness patches .:confused: While im at the doctors office the nurse asked about my children. Has anyone had problems with their children getting sea sick? Wondering if I should take them and see if the doctor can prescribed something for , my older kids (9,10 & 12). Or any advise on what I should bring for preventing motion sickness. I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner I assumed children just wouldn't notice it.

I have been prone to sea sickness. On my first cruise at 11or 12 years old I started the cruise with the patch, but took it off after a few days (when it had "run out" & things seemed smooth). Later that same day, I got very sea sick & had to put another patch on.

Since then, except when I was pregnant (used Dramamine the 1 night I got sea sick per my dr on that cruise), I always start a cruise with the patch and have one ready if I need it for the rest of the cruise.

Any sea sickness medicine works best as a preventative measure. Once you get sea sick, it will take a while to feel better which could put a damper on a vacation.

I would talk to your pediatrician about options for the kids.

Do they suffer motion sickness in cars, rides, etc? If not, then they'll probably be ok....yes, there are children's versions of meds for this! Just call your doctor and ask which you should buy...just in case!

My kids (13 and 11) have never felt sick and they've been cruising for 6 years now.

If your kids can swallow capsules, you can get Ginger capsules in the vitamin section of any drug store or Walmart. They are all natural and help with motion sickness. My ex husband really was prone to motion sickness and he tried lots of different things. The ginger is what worked for him and it's safe for kids and there are no side effects.

I have been prone to sea sickness. On my first cruise at 11or 12 years old I started the cruise with the patch, but took it off after a few days (when it had "run out" & things seemed smooth). Later that same day, I got very sea sick & had to put another patch on.

Since then, except when I was pregnant (used Dramamine the 1 night I got sea sick per my dr on that cruise), I always start a cruise with the patch and have one ready if I need it for the rest of the cruise.

Any sea sickness medicine works best as a preventative measure. Once you get sea sick, it will take a while to feel better which could put a damper on a vacation.

I would talk to your pediatrician about options for the kids.

Thank you! so much!

My son has been using sea bands for about 6 years with no sea sick issues. I'm not sure if he needs them or if wears them because they are tied-dyed. :cool:

Thank you! I think that might be the way to go.

Do they suffer motion sickness in cars, rides, etc? If not, then they'll probably be ok....yes, there are children's versions of meds for this! Just call your doctor and ask which you should buy...just in case!

Well, we have a big boat and we live here on the gulf. Its just hit and miss when we go out... Normally none of us get sick and we have done this for years, but the last time we went out to the islands it was rougher than usual and when I got home, me and my oldest son were sick! I just wasn't sure if kids were prescribed anything by a doctor or not. Thank you for your time and help.

My kids (13 and 11) have never felt sick and they've been cruising for 6 years now.

If your kids can swallow capsules, you can get Ginger capsules in the vitamin section of any drug store or Walmart. They are all natural and help with motion sickness. My ex husband really was prone to motion sickness and he tried lots of different things. The ginger is what worked for him and it's safe for kids and there are no side effects.

Thank you! I forgot about Ginger pills. I took those when I was pregnant. I guess I will get a variety of everything to make sure we are all good to go. Thank you for your time and help.

DD (now 18YO) has had issues with very winding roads and small boats her whole life. No problem on ships. Everyone is different and kids of all ages (even infants) can suffer from some sort of motion sickness problem.

I would definately be prepared with either an OTC appropriate for kids or talk to their pediatrian for a script. If they/you want to have them try without, I'd take the drugs with and also bring some candied ginger or other homeopath that the can use if they are having minor problems or, if they have major problems, that they can take to help them fell a bit better until the drug kicks in.

Thank you all for your help. None of us got sick or anything! I used my patch, but everyone else did just fine! Thanks for all the helpful tips and advice. I used everything everyone told me to use! Thanks AGAIN!

Mom of the year here got her motion sickness patches .:confused: While im at the doctors office the nurse asked about my children. Has anyone had problems with their children getting sea sick? Wondering if I should take them and see if the doctor can prescribed something for , my older kids (9,10 & 12). Or any advise on what I should bring for preventing motion sickness. I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner I assumed children just wouldn't notice it.

I asked the pharmacist which version would be best for the kids when I was trying to find something for them...he gave me the Dramamine chewable orange tablets...had directions for kids doses on the back and they can be broken in 1/2 for younger kids. This is also a non-drowsy formula. I am beginning to stock up for our November cruise whenever my pharmacy puts out discount...lol!

Good luck...have fun!