How are the concerts??

jkjmt

How are the concerts?? Are they selling and people enjoying them?? Will Carnival be extending the concerts and if so when will the dates, ships and group be listed??

We're doing a B2B in January and would love to have a few of those groups on the 6-day. On the 6-day Breeze, concerts are scheduled through December.

Anyone know??

How are the concerts?? Are they selling and people enjoying them?? Will Carnival be extending the concerts and if so when will the dates, ships and group be listed??

We're doing a B2B in January and would love to have a few of those groups on the 6-day. On the 6-day Breeze, concerts are scheduled through December.

Anyone know??

I'm curious about this too. We're sailing in October for Styxx and haven't heard any reviews about them!

Did you buy tickets?? I heard Platinum got free tickets (the $20 seats). If it was a band we really liked, we'd buy the $100 tickets to meet and get pictures with them and have front or closer seats.

We saw Styx on the Fascination back in April and it was awesome! The showroom is not as big as a normal concert venue, so you are nice and close for your $20. Also, if they don't sell out, look for the cruise director and staff to be giving away tickets on the Lido deck before or during the sail away party. Friends of our answered Styx trivia and got tickets and a T shirt!

A couple of CDs and officers have told us they will continue the concerts next year. The talk has been for lesser in number of concerts and a couple of bigger names. Billy Joel was mentioned as a possible. Elton John-- not too believable.

We have enjoyed the two concerts we have attended. We were given VIP tix for Kansas; seeing them again in Sept. Chicago, we had to purchase our tix. Just bought general admission - $30 ea. the VIP tix were $150. Not really worth it for us. It was pretty crowded down front and many stood and blocked others' view. The Meet the Band was very rushed, we were told.

Suggest you look at the "bigger picture"...Carnival will probably look to partner with major summer music Festivals to promote their onboard product "Carnival Live"...thus using synergy a "bigger name" artists will be featured both at the Festival & their ships

Carnival (and their competitors) are capturing data of how many cruisers are factoring in the "Carnival Live" segment into their selection of a cruise which may mean they would not have to discount nearly as much on select cruises to fill a particular ship

The music industry distribution system has changed due to the impact of social media and the internet...hits are now determined by # of downloads, not CD's sold...."Carnival Live" in theory could feature a group that has 1M downloads and the general public has never heard of...these artists have huge fan base followings thru social media and will book a Carnival cruise to support their favorite artists...babyboomers who are also empty nesters and retired with disposable income will support the artists from their youths

Carnival has "Carnival Live"...NCL has Sixthman...the question becomes what will Royal Caribbean & MSC introduce...it's all about filling berths and attracting folks who without the music attraction, would never think about going on a cruise

Well said Hattack.

I for one want to see this program continue. It's something different to add to our cruising experience. I fit the bill of the empty nester cruising without our kids...but if our kids were with us (as they used to cruise with us), they'd want to go too. My husband and 30-year old daughter just went to a Boston concert (not on a cruise ship) and they both loved it.

And if Carnival makes a profit from it....most likely from the drinks sold.....that's great. They're a business and they need to make a profit to keep an affordable vacation experience for us.

How are the concerts??

I am happy to share my experience and did previously. Here is a re-post:

Foreigner Review:

Back from the weekend. Wanted to post my thoughts on the concert.

We absolutely loved the show! Foreigner was high energy, fantastic sound (they brought their own sound system) and good showmanship!

Yes, this is music we grew up with, and no, there were no original members there (Mick Jones has apparently been unwell the past couple months). However, the current band are all excellent musicians and the show was fantastic.

They played for about an hour and 20 minutes. The set sounded like a run through of their greatest hits. Every song was a hit and had the crowd singing along.

The show was in the main show room - the Fantasia lounge - which seats about 1300 (I didn't realize it was that large until I looked it up!). They were promoting the tickets during boarding, and announced shortly after departing that the show was sold out. Bought ours when I booked.

As many know, the sight lines are not great in the Fantasy class ship main show rooms. We planned to get there early, but wound up arriving after the doors had opened (they open 1 hour before showtime). By then, the room was over 1/2 full, but we wound up upstairs on the end of an aisle about 4 rows back from the glass. Our seats allowed us to stand without blocking anyone behind, and we did in fact stand through most of the show.

The VIP seats looked to fill most of the floor level main seating - the first 5-6 rows (I thought I had heard that the VIP area would only be the first couple of rows, but that was not the case).

So to summarize, we loved the show! Our experience would actually encourage us to book another cruise for the concert.

This was from our May Sensation cruise. FYI - I did not hear or see any tix being given away for this show, not to say there weren't any given. However, they promoted the show hard from when we boarded - lots of announcements and a couple of tables promoting the show - and they announced just after sail away that it was sold out. I did hear several people groan after the announcement that they hadn't gotten their tickets yet. We hope the concerts continue and will look to attend one in the future.

Edited by FlaCruiser007

Suggest you look at the "bigger picture"...Carnival will probably look to partner with major summer music Festivals to promote their onboard product "Carnival Live"...thus using synergy a "bigger name" artists will be featured both at the Festival & their ships

Carnival (and their competitors) are capturing data of how many cruisers are factoring in the "Carnival Live" segment into their selection of a cruise which may mean they would not have to discount nearly as much on select cruises to fill a particular ship

The music industry distribution system has changed due to the impact of social media and the internet...hits are now determined by # of downloads, not CD's sold...."Carnival Live" in theory could feature a group that has 1M downloads and the general public has never heard of...these artists have huge fan base followings thru social media and will book a Carnival cruise to support their favorite artists...babyboomers who are also empty nesters and retired with disposable income will support the artists from their youths

Carnival has "Carnival Live"...NCL has Sixthman...the question becomes what will Royal Caribbean & MSC introduce...it's all about filling berths and attracting folks who without the music attraction, would never think about going on a cruise

thanks for your insights

Well said Hattack.

I for one want to see this program continue. It's something different to add to our cruising experience. I fit the bill of the empty nester cruising without our kids...but if our kids were with us (as they used to cruise with us), they'd want to go too. My husband and 30-year old daughter just went to a Boston concert (not on a cruise ship) and they both loved it.

And if Carnival makes a profit from it....most likely from the drinks sold.....that's great. They're a business and they need to make a profit to keep an affordable vacation experience for us.

I agree with your comments. It gives another life to the Fantasy class of ships as well.

My 2 cents-

If cruisers are paying 20.00 - 100.00 for seats and the concert is not sold out. Just does not seem right to give away seats to fill the venue. :(

If the group has no original members I would not go to the concert. :cool:

My 2 cents-

If cruisers are paying 20.00 - 100.00 for seats and the concert is not sold out. Just does not seem right to give away seats to fill the venue. :(

Interesting, essentially they are now a cover band.

Understand that perspective....when something new is introduced you have to "beta test" or have a "soft " opening...review the results and make adjustments...so it makes sense on an earlier posting that Carnival may do fewer concerts next year and adjust the line up "mix"

It certainly has given Carnival a very cost efficient way to generate incremental revenue on their Fantasy Class ships that are not schedule to undergo expensive 2.0 upgrades

As Carnival fine tunes it's Carnival Live product they will have more sell outs (fewer onboard give-a-way ) for their concerts based upon market research...word of mouth of happy cruisers returning now will ensure that based upon advance booking bundled excursion packages combined with loyalty program status...remember Carnival does not want the demand to exceed the supply for any given concert...

If I were Carnival Live, I would have a different concert at each port of call that would appeal to a different demographic....i.e. on a 5 day cruise with two ports...one port featuring a Country Western artist...next port a popular Jazz musician

We saw Styx on the Fascination back in April and it was awesome! The showroom is not as big as a normal concert venue, so you are nice and close for your $20. Also, if they don't sell out, look for the cruise director and staff to be giving away tickets on the Lido deck before or during the sail away party. Friends of our answered Styx trivia and got tickets and a T shirt!

Oh Wow! That sounds awesome! I can't wait! I bought the $20 tickets for hubby's October 1st birthday! :cool:

My 2 cents-

I guess you would not go see about 90% of acts playing now a days then.

Interesting, essentially they are now a cover band.

Foreigner is a good example. They have had only one original member Mick Jones for the last 10 years (he is out ill now recovering from a supposed bypass surgery), yet most people would (read that as vast majority recognize the band today more so than when Lou Graham sang with them. Same could be said for Chicago and many others (Journey to name another). Does that dilute the product, my answer is no.

Lady A, Martina McBride, LeAnn Rhimes, Daughtry all original members and multi million dollars sellers. Cover bands, not a chance.

Foreigner is a good example. They have had only one original member Mick Jones for the last 10 years (he is out ill now recovering from a supposed bypass surgery), yet most people would (read that as vast majority recognize the band today more so than when Lou Graham sang with them. Same could be said for Chicago and many others (Journey to name another). Does that dilute the product, my answer is no.

Lady A, Martina McBride, LeAnn Rhimes, Daughtry all original members and multi million dollars sellers. Cover bands, not a chance.

Old friend auditioned to become lead singer for Journey when the old guy bowed out (forgot his name) and he claims he was accepted but decided he didnt want to be away from home so much and turned it down.

Never sure he was telling me the truth but would have been neat to go to a concert and know the lead singer. He was part of a local cover band and was pretty good at that level.

Old friend auditioned to become lead singer for Journey when the old guy bowed out (forgot his name) and he claims he was accepted but decided he didnt want to be away from home so much and turned it down.

Never sure he was telling me the truth but would have been neat to go to a concert and know the lead singer. He was part of a local cover band and was pretty good at that level.

The old lead singer is Steve Perry, did a couple of stints and left purportedly for health reasons (I have read several versions from double hip replacements to throat tumor). Very strong voice. They had at least one and I think two interim lead vocals but the current one (and he is pretty good, not Steve Perry though) is a guy from the Philippines called Arnel Pineda. He actually is pretty darn good himself. I believe they discovered him on Youtube.