Norwegian Cruise Line Bans Smoking on Balconies

Poohsmommi

I am not a person that enjoys large crowds. Because of that I cancelled a suite on RCL after their e-cig policy, then booked suite with Carnival and cancelled it after their e-cig policy. Luckily I hadn't gotten around to booking NCL yet. I am a cruiser that spends hours sitting on my balcony reading a book and enjoying the quiet. I do not blow large clouds of vapor, nor do I use nicotine. With this policy the reason I cruise is being changed, so I will cruise no more.:(

I, for one, don't see an issue with e-cigs on balconies or anywhere outdoors. They are far better than regular cigarettes as far as both the user and second hand impacts are concerned. I don't believe that they should be used in inside, public space, or in any inside space that might be ventilated into other inside space.

If they were only being used by current smokers that have converted to e-cigs to improve their health I would support a fairly easy policy.

However with the e-cig companies designing their advertising to appeal to non-smokers, especially young non-smokers, and the amount of ads saying that the output is only water vapor and totally ignoring some of the issues I am not opposed to the stricter policies. Since most e-cigs fluids contain nicotine and since nicotine is just as addictive in e-cigs as in regular cigaretter I do not want to see a new generation of non-smokers trying and getting addicted to e-cigs.

I, for one, don't see an issue with e-cigs on balconies or anywhere outdoors. They are far better than regular cigarettes as far as both the user and second hand impacts are concerned. I don't believe that they should be used in inside, public space, or in any inside space that might be ventilated into other inside space.

If they were only being used by current smokers that have converted to e-cigs to improve their health I would support a fairly easy policy.

However with the e-cig companies designing their advertising to appeal to non-smokers, especially young non-smokers, and the amount of ads saying that the output is only water vapor and totally ignoring some of the issues I am not opposed to the stricter policies. Since most e-cigs fluids contain nicotine and since nicotine is just as addictive in e-cigs as in regular cigaretter I do not want to see a new generation of non-smokers trying and getting addicted to e-cigs.

I totally agree with you.:)

Thank you I will check on Costa,

Costa only updated their smoking policy 2013 - prior to that it was the old way - ie half beam of the ship inside and out - inside cabins - balconies etc -

Ecig rules apply BUT they relax it a lot - officially ecigs are same as cigs but smoking is allowed now on balconies - ecigs both on balconies and in privacy of cabin - designated smoking areas - and the one lounge.

Dont pay attention much to cc reviews - the % of costa cruisers from CC is minute - we have done four in two years - and love it - suite level is superb - lots of perks and the price is VERY affordable - as I say,keep an open mind -

I dont smoke now - just use a zero nico shisha pen - but at least on Costa we werent hounded out into smoking areas - and can use inside and balcony of cabins.

Its just not a popular choice for Americans -

Us - we loved it - all staff speak fluent english - most entertainment etc s in English - fabulous ships although quite garish - same designer as Carnival.

Worth checking it out as at least they wont move the goal posts again so soon.

All the info people provided on the damaging effects of E-cigs is great but the reason Ncl banned them has nothing to do what that. They banned them because it might cause people to get confused.

If you want to smoke on your balcony then budget $250 and do so, use the money you saved buying duty free cigarettes which Ncl are more then happy to continue to offer. I just hope people don't get confused when they see people buying the duty free cigarettes and think they are allowed to smoke them.;):rolleyes:

Edited by shaun07

I'll take my popcorn with extra butter and my hotdog with chili and onions please. You might want to stand clear though, these foods make me uh well, can you say PU?

I hear they are charging $250 to clean the balcony and room for that too. Passing the end result was banned on balconies long ago.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

I wonder if they will stop selling cigs in their stores on board.........

I also did not get the no smoking email.

I'll think NCL will continue to sell cigs in the duty free. After all smoking is not totally banned. Also lots of people buy cigs, booze, etc. for others because of the lower prices.

I'll think NCL will continue to sell cigs in the duty free. After all smoking is not totally banned. Also lots of people buy cigs, booze, etc. for others because of the lower prices.

Of course

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

All the info people provided on the damaging effects of E-cigs is great but the reason Ncl banned them has nothing to do what that. They banned them because it might cause people to get confused.

[...]

I get the no smoking part of NCL's new rules. I could even accept their no e-cigs. But how lame is it to say they just do not want confused cruisers?

Edited by untailored bostonian

I get the no smoking part of NCL's new rules. I could even accept their no e-cigs. But how lame is it to say they just do not want confused cruisers?

I get it. Passengers will constantly be calling the Guest Services desk or Security to report the e-cig "smokers." They would think the vapor is smoke and I understand it.

Edited by JulieAF

Would you mind a bar venue on the ships that allowed smoking, within a closed space, and air filters that scrubbed that air?

They have that now I believe. No way to "scrub" the air though. Until you quit smoking, you don't realize how bad the stench is,and how long it lingers. I didn't know.

Carnival appears to look at what people have to say on these boards. John Heald has posted that the beards are now coming up with ways to improve smoking areas on Carnival ships and an announcement will be made within two weeks. No mention was made of this a week ago when they announced the balcony ban. He state it was due to feedback on facebook and Carnival's own forum, but I suspect they get most of their feedback from CC.

Probably from their own forum. John Heald HATES Cruise Critic big time lol

Per NCLs policy:

"Smoking inside your stateroom or on your balcony will result in a $250 cleaning charge added to your onboard account. If cigarette burns on furniture, linens, towels or carpeting are detected; guests will be advised and charged for the damages."

If people want to smoke that bad on their balcony, pay the extra $250 and call it a day! Just don't burn anything with your cig or you'll pay for it.

I'm not sure how this "cleaning charge" enforces anything. If NCL really wants to enforce this new policy they should fine people AND state they will kicked off the ship at the next port. That's how you enforce a policy like this -- and that very well may be the case. But if that's what they plan on doing and not just fining people, then they should state that.

The $250 "cleaning charge" is kind of a joke.

I don't smoke but I have plenty of friends that do, and if they said they would just pay the "cleaning charge".

Per NCLs policy:

"Smoking inside your stateroom or on your balcony will result in a $250 cleaning charge added to your onboard account. If cigarette burns on furniture, linens, towels or carpeting are detected; guests will be advised and charged for the damages."

If people want to smoke that bad on their balcony, pay the extra $250 and call it a day! Just don't burn anything with your cig or you'll pay for it.

I'm not sure how this "cleaning charge" enforces anything. If NCL really wants to enforce this new policy they should fine people AND state they will kicked off the ship at the next port. That's how you enforce a policy like this -- and that very well may be the case. But if that's what they plan on doing and not just fining people, then they should state that.

I don't smoke but I have plenty of friends that do, and if they said they would just pay the "cleaning charge".

Us non-smokers would complain if we smelled smoke while trying to enjoy our balconies. They would have many angry people if the rebels just smoked on their balconies anyway.

Us non-smokers would complain if we smelled smoke while trying to enjoy our balconies. They would have many angry people if the rebels just smoked on their balconies anyway.

That's fine -- complain. But if someone pays their $250 and that's all NCL will do, then it's not really enforceable.

That's why I said it seems like a joke if a $250 fine is all they're doing if you smoke inside/outside a cabin. They should put more rules in place if they're serious about enforcing the rule.

That's fine -- complain. But if someone pays their $250 and that's all NCL will do, then it's not really enforceable.

That's why I said it seems like a joke if a $250 fine is all they're doing if you smoke inside/outside a cabin. They should put more rules in place if they're serious about enforcing the rule.

When Carnival had the Paradise (totally non-smoking) and we sailed on that ship, they removed a family at the next port because a cabin steward reported seeing ashes in the toilet. That would be a deterrent.

Per NCLs policy:

Sorry, but it is very hard to clean a room to purge all the residue. Of course, smokers are addicts, we must not be hard on them.