Barcelona hotels

Have twice stayed at Hotel Jazz, near the Ramblas and Placa Catalunya but not in the middle of the noise there. It also is close to an express bus airport stop and has a lovely rooftop pool and terrace with great views, a wonderful place to relax after a long day of sightseeing.

We stayed at Hotel Continental, quirky and nice. 24 hour snack buffett with wine and beer included.

we had a balcony room and knew it could be noisey but we wanted to experience it all and we really enjoyed hanging out on our balcony with our snacks and a glass of wine watching the activity of Las Ramblas!

Great location for subway and Hop on Hop off buses.

We are also staying at Hotel Jazz for 3-night pre-cruise. We have read hundreds of positive reviews, and, friends of ours recently stayed there and said it was a great hotel, clean, modern, great staff, and close to all major sites. Plus, it was just a bit off the Main Street so it wasn't as loud.

We are looking forward to our stay here. Hope this helps a bit.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are also staying at Hotel Jazz for 3-night pre-cruise. We have read hundreds of positive reviews, and, friends of ours recently stayed there and said it was a great hotel, clean, modern, great staff, and close to all major sites. Plus, it was just a bit off the Main Street so it wasn't as loud.

We are looking forward to our stay here. Hope this helps a bit.

Dave

I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. Have a great trip.

Thanks Celebrity... Even though the cruise isn't until early next May, it gives us time to research things more so I might be able to make some intelligent decisions on what to do pre-cruise and through whom, or , on our own, and, if we should do all of our Italy shore excursions through the cruise line, with other cruisers, or, through tour companies.

At least we have our airfare and Economy Comfort seats booked and paid for on Delta.

Thanks Celebrity... Even though the cruise isn't until early next May, it gives us time to research things more so I might be able to make some intelligent decisions on what to do pre-cruise and through whom, or , on our own, and, if we should do all of our Italy shore excursions through the cruise line, with other cruisers, or, through tour companies.

At least we have our airfare and Economy Comfort seats booked and paid for on Delta.

Dave, we flew Delta as well. No problems whatsoever.

I highly recommend you book private excursions in Italy. You will see far more and it will be at your timetable, not everyone else's.

I researched for 14 months and it was time well spent.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

I know you might not be able to mention any tour companies on this site. If not, should I be looking elsewhere on this site, or, should I be purchasing any books at the bookstore?

Don't mean to sound so dumb, but first time to Europe, and 2nd time ever on a plane. Obviously, a little anxiety.

Dave

google is your friend

also suggest watching Rick Steve show and his guidebooks

his take on Europe is not the same as mine but its a good place to start

since your time in each place is limited try and focus on the 1 or 2 things you most want to do or see

individual tours are likely the best but can cost a lot of $

public transportation in europe is normally good. you can normally get around fairly well

She who must be obeyed and I also normally go for street food when sightseeing. does not take up the time that restaurant meal takes...but then we are not foodies. for some the food is the reason for the trip.

researching a trip is a large part of the fun.

It sure is fun. Took me about 6-weeks just to read up on airlines, type of plane, Economy Comfort and legroom, etc. we will be in Barcelona for 3-nights and 2-and a half days prior to cruise, then 13 night cruise with Italy as the main ports of call besides one in France and somewhere else. So, the research is fun as you indicated and less about the food too. We will both be 60 at cruise time and we will probably never see the rate true and history of Europe again. The food can take a back seat...lol.

Thanks again for the guidance.

I know you might not be able to mention any tour companies on this site. If not, should I be looking elsewhere on this site, or, should I be purchasing any books at the bookstore?

Don't mean to sound so dumb, but first time to Europe, and 2nd time ever on a plane. Obviously, a little anxiety.

Dave

Dave,

Go out to the Ports of Call Boards. There, not only will you find several recommendations for tour companies, you can also specifically ask for a recommendation for a private tour company from other CC'ers.

Here's "the rule" for asking questions about guides.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1480215

Also, TripAdvisor is the sister site to Cruise Critic. Go out to each of the places you will be visiting and you will find MANY recommendations for sites, tour guides, and restaurants. TA also has a "Forum" section for each location. Loads of information on these sites.

You are going to LOVE Europe!

Happy planning!

tt :)

It sure is fun. Took me about 6-weeks just to read up on airlines, type of plane, Economy Comfort and legroom, etc. we will be in Barcelona for 3-nights and 2-and a half days prior to cruise, then 13 night cruise with Italy as the main ports of call besides one in France and somewhere else. So, the research is fun as you indicated and less about the food too. We will both be 60 at cruise time and we will probably never see the rate true and history of Europe again. The food can take a back seat...lol.

Thanks again for the guidance.

Dave, I highly, highly recommend Rome in Limo tours. Check the Italy boards as well as Trip Advisor. You will see rave reviews including mine. You can choose a private tour which is what we selected for our party of 3 or you sign up for your roll call and see if others would like to join you to keep costs down. In addition, Rome in Limo has a tour sharing option on their website.

Jany, your contact person is a gem. She'll get back to you promptly with any questions you may have and offer recommendations on the best time to see the various sites.

Additionally, definitely read Rick Steve's Guide To Mediterranean Cruise Ports.

It has a wealth of info.

I was constantly posting questions prior to my cruise, and CC members really stepped it up.

I'm happy to pay back now. :)

This is all exciting. I'm beginning now, on the deck with my IPad while my wife and a couple of my daughters are concocting up some Guacamole dip...lol.

All of the advice is very informative and helpful.

they abound in Barcelona and Rome. suggest a money belt or at least wallet in the front pocket. also good to keep a small amount of cash in one pocket and wallet in another. that way if they are scoping you out the $ seems to be in the pocket with less cash. bit paranoid but you should be aware of your surroundings. don't let it dominate your thoughts but just be aware.

Rick Steves now has a Guide to Mediterranean ports guidebook out, which will provide you with a lot of practical transportation information for all of your ports, plus his take on the highlights of each location. Check out a copy from your local public library.

I will check out his book(s) for sure. Went to The Rome In Limo site and I can see many people doing the group tours. A group of 8 is only paying $75 per person this way versus $225 each if it were just a couple. And these prices are showing in Euros, so, it would be even higher.

The main page of their website is fine, but when clicking to the page to put in shared tours and dates, it's hanging up with the spinning wheel. I'll keep trying.

I will check out his book(s) for sure. Went to The Rome In Limo site and I can see many people doing the group tours. A group of 8 is only paying $75 per person this way versus $225 each if it were just a couple. And these prices are showing in Euros, so, it would be even higher.

The main page of their website is fine, but when clicking to the page to put in shared tours and dates, it's hanging up with the spinning wheel. I'll keep trying.

Dave, email Jany at Rome in Limo. She can assist you with tour sharing.

Let us know how it goes. I am excited for you and your family! I was in your spot last summer.

I felt very overwhelmed, a bit apprehensive and very excited. It was the trip of a lifetime!tell her your cruisecritic friends recommended them.

Initially, we thought this would be a once in a lifetime experience but once we opened our eyes to the wonder of Europe, we knew we would return. We are shooting for 2016.

I will contact her for sure. I also saw a few other tour companies rated high on Trip Adviser too. However, your first hand knowledge and experience with Jany and her company is all I needed to hear.

In order to try and get others to take the same tours to help share the costs, should I just do that on this sites "Roll Call", or, if I mention to Jany we don't mind sharing a tour, she will try and fill it with other people who might like the same tour, on the same date as ours?

Dave, I would definitely try your roll call first but email Jany as well. I am certain that she will

reassure you and guide you in your decision process.

Are you going to Rome and Naples? If so, I can share our incredible experience which you may want to duplicate.

Hotel Jazz in Barcelona....great location. You can take the aerobus from the airport to within 3 blocks of the hotel. Super cheap and VERY easy to do.

Romeinlimo is the company we used in 3 or 4 Italian cities. We set up all the tours on our roll call with others. And the tours were wonderful. The cruise ships use the big coach buses that can't fit into many of the narrow streets and of course you sit and wait for loading and unloading no matter where you go. With the private tours, you can get close to stops, easy in and outs, fun with a small group of 8 or 10, personalized tours to please everyone etc. You'll see and learn much more than lalrge ship tours...and for LESS $$

Edited by eandj

Hi again...I noticed when looking at shore excursion tours from the limo tour company you suggested, along with others, that they all provide services for all of the Italy port stops we will be making, except for Venice. I wasn't sure if I was missing Venice on their sites, or, since Venice is so far away from Rome, Naples, and Florence, that they might not provide Venice tours and I can look for a similar company in Venice.

Hi again...I noticed when looking at shore excursion tours from the limo tour company you suggested, along with others, that they all provide services for all of the Italy port stops we will be making, except for Venice. I wasn't sure if I was missing Venice on their sites, or, since Venice is so far away from Rome, Naples, and Florence, that they might not provide Venice tours and I can look for a similar company in Venice.

Dave, I have never seen a tour from Venice from RIL. Your roll call and Trip Advisor can help you in that regard as well as the Italy board right here on CC. Venice wasn't on our itinerary so I can't offer any advice.

probably don't offer tours in Venice because the amphibious cars cost too much...ok..really early in the morning here but I thought that was funny

in Venice I can recommend the secret tour of the dodges palace. does Casanovas cell etc. afterwards you can check out the rest of the palace on your own.