Photo Blog - Ben the Bendy Man's Splendid Splendor Adventure, July 3rd, 2014

kylenyc

As this was my first CCL sailing, I decided to arrive early to be sure I was in the right place. We were muster station 1 which is forward starboard. We were lined up against the wall, then as more passengers arrived we were 6 rows deep squeezing us against the wall. I asked to move because I was in the sun for way to long without sunscreen. I was also having problems standing as I was recovering from a back injury. I was told I had to stay put, and after a few requests to just move out of the sun the crew became irritated. Let's just say I was less the enthusiastic with CCL during this never ending muster...:rolleyes:

Edited by Nalagh

I enjoy reading your NCL reviews so I am looking forward to this one.

Thank you! Ben (and his butler) adore his modest flexible figurine fandom. :D :p

As this was my first CCL sailing, I decided to arrive early to be sure I was in the right place. We were muster station 1 which is forward starboard. We were lined up against the wall, then as more passengers arrived we were 6 rows deep squeezing us against the wall. I asked to move because I was in the sun for way to long without sunscreen. I was also having problems standing as I was recovering from a back injury. I was told I had to stay put, and after a few requests to just move out of the sun the crew became irritated. Let's just say I was less the enthusiastic with CCL during this never ending muster...:rolleyes:

I'm sorry you were subjected to that and just grateful that nothing worse happen like the heat stroke that Lou observed. I hope Carnival does something to make the muster drill less taxing especially for those with health issues, and simply warn people in the sun to wear sunscreen, hat, and dress appropriately.

"2 times on the Glory in NYC same procedure with people getting heat stroke, needed to be supported during the long wait. If you are unlucky to be on the side of the ship they dismiss last it is even a longer wai5. This cruise with Ben Bendyman Starboard was dismissed first. On Glory Port went first."

Thursday evening, July 3rd, 2014

The Pinnacle of Steakhouses

Ben and his friend had dinner reservations in the Pinnacle Steakhouse and literally had be repeated perusing the menu on Carnival.com weeks before. The menu was very appealing and we were looking very much forward to it and the inescapable comparisons that would ensue compared to Cagney's Steakhouse on Norwegian Cruise Line.

One of his friends has a slight fear an aversion of main dining rooms which resulted in our first night reservation as well and so expectations were very high for the steakhouse, and we were hoping to dine several times there... You know who you are ::snickers:: Little did the staff know they were under heavy scrutiny from some diehard Norwegian veterans.

Still not of the high of being diverted to Bermuda that even a poor muster drill couldn't frazzle, our bubbly bendable buddy beamed brightly as he perused the digital navigation chart on the way to dinner... He was elated to watch the Splendor heading southeast straight out to sea his yellow fingers crossed in hopes that we would hit remnants of Hurricane Arthur. So far so good, it was smoothing sailing under an overcast sky.

We were greeted by Marina the restaurant manager who was friendly, warm, accommodating, and would really make our last visit spectacular (Spoiler - We dined there three out of our shore four night mini-cruise). We were seated at dinner where we began scrutinizing the menu... We knew beforehand there were many appealing choices and still took a lot of time to make up our mind. The wait service was a bit slow in taking our drink orders but soon settle into a smooth and pleasant service.

(Continued)

P1030533xc.jpg

Woohoo! Heading to Bermuda!

P1030534.jpg

A peek at some of Splendor's pervasive pink ?art deco? interior design.

P1030676.jpg

The Pinnacle Restaurant - Hidden all the way on Deck 11 aft seeming isolated from the rest of the ship, a doorway with lit sparkling sign greets diners

P1030678.jpg

A "fun ship" themed sign obscures the fine dining experience awaiting inside

P1030677.jpg

The wonderful Marina, Restaurant Manager.

P1030536.jpg

Being seated

Edited by kylenyc

The Pinnacle of Steakhouses (Continued)

Ben didn't have a big appetite having had a full breakfast at Ink48's Print Restaurant and unable to resist half a pastrami sandwich during the informal sailaway (more on this later). One of the waiters came by with a meat presentation which was a bit surprising as he'd never seen one. It was nice touch. Non-carnivores cover your eyes. So our health conscious canary companion made his waiter settle for what appeared to be a modest serving of two lamb chops. He also couldn't resist ordering the lobster bisque.

After we placed our order pleasantly surprised when we were served appetizers compliments of the chef. Ben was truly delighted to be served an amuse bouche of a tiny bite-sized hamburger slider and it was phenomenal. Unfortunately, only two of us were served the sliders while two were served a tomato soup. Lucky Ben! Carnival... Please serve the sliders as an appetizer on the menu so that we can order it every night because they were simply awesome. Sadly they were not served on subsequent nights.

We were also served some warm bread and Ben picked a focacchia served with butter, tomato salsa, and eggplant salsa. It was so good, his butler inhaled it all savoring and nibble the warm soft bread until it was gone... spoiling his dinner tsk tsk tsk. Cherie also passed Ben her Sun-Riped Beef Steak Tomato salad which she ordered by. It's one of Ben's favorite salads on land too!

Next our elastic epicurean explorer was served a delicious creamy bisque with a subtle hint of lobster. Ben's a big New England "seafood shack" fan and would go far and wide to sample variations on fish and chips, crab cakes, and lobster bisque. He'd place this bisque in the middle of the pack which is high praise for a lobster bisque on a cruise ship when going head to head with New England seafood shacks and land restaurants.

(Continued)

P1030692.jpg

Meat presentation.

P1030537.jpg

Place setting by Versace

P1030543.jpg

Amuse bouche hamburger slider compliments of the chef - Ben was definitely amused as he towers over the bite-sized delectable. Deeeeeeeeelish!

P1030547.jpg

George and Cherie were a bit disappointed they were served a tomato soup for their amuse bouche and passed it to Ben. It went nicely with the focaccia. The focaccia was also served with butter, eggplant salsa, and tomato salsa (pictured in the background, better picture forthcoming).

P1030549.jpg

Head over heels - Lobster Bisque with Vintage Cognac! Yippeeee!

P1030551.jpg

A hearty Sun-Ripened Beef Steak Tomato Salad with Gorganzola

Edited by kylenyc

The Pinnacle of Steakhouses (Continued)

By the time his lamb chops arrived, Ben's manservant was nearly engorged. He was secretly relieved he didn't order a big steak and was going to politely struggle through finishing his two modest lamb chops. He was shocked to when it arrived... Instead of the two lamb chops displayed on the meat presentation, he was served two whole lamb chops plus three medallions even more chops! Peggy ordered a whopping 18 oz Spice-Rubbed Prime Ribeye. It was enough to share with George and Cherie and they raved about it. The portions here are a meat lovers dream.

While we enjoyed our entrees, we couldn't help but turns our head staring at waiters passing with desserts destined for other tables. Ben shook his head at his butler's sheer gluttony but relented and sat quietly allowing his manservant to indulge himself. Good free labor is so hard to find. His squire ate only the medallions and asked for the rest "to go" trying his best to save room for dessert. Ben ordered the Chocolate Sampler while his friends ordered an unbelievably towering Cheese Cake with Hazelnut Biscuit... Simply because we could! Needless to say, we didn't finish it all and brought our desserts back to our cabins as well.

The Pinnacle Steakhouse lived up to its name. Our high expectations were met in some ways and exceeded in others, and silently we knew we'd be dining here again (and it gets even better with more reviews and pictures forthcoming). This was one of Ben's most enjoyable steakhouse dining experiences he's had on land or sea. Carnival's Pinnacle Steakhouse shines in most areas and they have some exceptional dishes, a polished attentive wait service, wonderful manager and dedicated sommelier. Comparisons by this veteran Norwegian cruisers was unavoidable but Pinnacle Steakhouse can teach Norwegian's Cagney's Steakhouse more than a thing or two. While Norwegian offers a greater variety of specialty restaurants and Carnival only has one aboard the Splendor, there's much to be said for what happens you focus all of your culinary attention on one restaurant and the result is an exceptional dining experience.

Next up... Meet & Greet and Cabin Crawl with new friends...

Tips:

• Bring your appetite

• Don't miss the opportunity to dine at the Pinnacle Steakhouse. Reservations required. There is a cover charge of $35 per person. Regular dress code is "Cruise Elegant" and an even stricter dress code is enforced during "elegant/dress-up night"

• Bring your appetite

• The 18 oz Spiced Rubbed Ribeye if excellent and enough to share. Don't order the Surf & Turf because the filet is subpar (trimmings). Instead have someone order Broiled Lobster Tail and together make your own Surf & Turf.

• Oh... and seriously don't forget to... bring your appetite

P1030552.jpg

Meat presentation.

DSC_0463.jpg

Chocolate Sample - A delicious indulgent end to dinner

DSC_0467.jpg

Ben throws up his hand in surrender as he stands next to this towering Cheesecake with Hazelnut Biscuit.

Edited by kylenyc

I love the pic of Ben celebrating the cheesecake. Did he prefer the chocolate sampler or the cheesecake?

Thanks Ben didn't even try the cheesecake but wishes he had at least taken a nibble to try it but was just so much good food. And the sheer size of the cake was shocking! :p. Then again I wish we had returned for all four nights because there was more dishes I wanted to try. Oh well... next time. I really enjoyed the Chocolate Sampler and had it on another night too. However, I'd avoid eating the bit of banana on the bottom of the Banana Pannacota unless you're a big fan of the fruit. The banana kinda spoils the whole effect IMO. It's not bad, it's just doesn't work with the dish IMO. They also vary the ice cream and sherbert each night in the different samplers. Yummy!

Edited by kylenyc

P1030547.jpg

George and Cherie were a bit disappointed they were served a tomato soup for their amuse bouche and passed it to Ben. It went nicely with the focaccia. The focaccia was also served with butter, eggplant salsa, and tomato salsa (pictured in the background, better picture forthcoming).

This was amazing, thank you for sharing with me! :)

P1030547.jpg

I did not like this at all, but yours was amazing, thank you for sharing with me! :)

So excited to read more of the Bendy Man's review. We will be "straying" from NCL as well in September and are also going on the Splendor. Too bad I don't get to see your opinion of the northern ports, I'm glad you got to go to Bermuda. Can't wait for the rest of the review!

Thanks Melodie (PathfinderEss), Jimmy Geegitz.

saxgirl84, ilove6dogs, Bon voyage!

Cherie (Nalagh), you can share my mini slider anytime. :D Yeah, Carnival should really make the sliders every night and serve it to everyone, or better yet sell them in 7-Eleven like White Castle. :p

Friday morning, July 4th, 2014

Meet & Greet/Mingle, Cabin Crawl

After an overindulgent meal the night before in Pinnacle Steakhouse, Ben had to push his butler out of bed. Our polyplastic partier had lots of things planned for the day! Off he went with his big brown box of goodies to the Our House Sport Bar where he was hosting a Meet & Greet.

Carnival doesn't host Meet & Greets nor helps provide a venue unlike other lines (Norwegian/Royal) but that didn't stop of ingenious imp. He also contacted John Heald (Carnival's Senior Cruise Director) before the cruise who graciously donated two bottles of champagne and "ships on a stick" for us to give away as prizes (Thanks John!). Cruise Critic members graciously donated many door prizes too (Thank you all!) - Dee & Lou (Brighton Line) for the lovely New York souvenir magnets (one for everyone!), Peggy (peg013) and Mike, Michele & family (Mich_Lee 401) for souvenirs and party favors. Cherie (Nalagh) picked winners out of a bag of names and Ben had fun giving away a blinky light necklaces enough for everyone.

We were lucky to have a nice turnout considering it was a mini-cruise which tends to have smaller roll calls than week-long cruises. Unfortunately, Ben's photog was so busy he forgot to take a full group photo and only captured half the people in attendance. He also missed pictures of Karen (sunshine002) inside cabin and his own balcony cabin on the crawl. Sorry!

After the Meet & Greet, Ben led everyone into the bowels of the ship on a Cabin Crawl where we got to see some interesting and unique cabins including an Vicki & Bill's (sshs) ocean view with double porthole window. Michele's kids Jack and Eva where thrilled to show off their two connecting ocean view picture window cabins. Dee & Lou had a unique cabin with a little extra angled balcony space than regular balconies. Cherie, Peggy & George were showed off their Cloud 9 Spa Balcony decked out in Philadelphia Eagles fanfare.

P1030564.jpg

Half of the Meet & Greet folks with Wally, Assistant Cruise Director at Our House Sports Bar

P1030578.jpg

Cabin Crawling

P1030568.jpg

Cabin Crawl - Oceanview with double porthole window

P1030570.jpg

Cabin Crawl - Two connecting ocean view picture window cabins

P1030571.jpg

Cabin Crawl - Two connecting ocean view picture window cabins

Friday morning, July 4th, 2014

Meet & Greet/Mingle, Cabin Crawl (Continued)

P1030577.jpg

Cabin Crawl - Balcony cabin with extra angled space

P1030575.jpg

P1030579.jpg

Cabin Crawl - Cloud 9 Spa Suite Balcony

P1030582.jpg

Cabin Crawl - This mysterious dish of free toiletries appeared in the Spa Suite but not other cabins. Supplies limited!

Friday afternoon, July 4th, 2014

Lido Deck Deli-cious!

Ben and his friends (and manservant in tow) made a bee line up to the Lido Deck for lunch after the exhausting ::grins:: task of meeting, greeting, drinking, and crawling through the ship. We headed straight to the Lido Deck Deli where yesterday we had managed to snack on some scrumptious sammiches. This became our go-to place for lunch and we couldn't get enough if it.

The deli crew are probably among the busiest on the ship (fortunately they have an automatic slicer for the deli meats). There were always people in line for the yummy warm toasted creations. It was often a conundrum as we often debated whether to wait for the line to shorten or just hop on.

Next up... Some exploring, Eagles Fans Beware, Slot Pull

P1030583.jpg

Lido Deck Deli

P1030586.jpg

P1030590.jpg

Automatic deli slicer constantly spinning away.

P1030592.jpg

Ben with the awesome deli crew (Aalekh, Sushil, and Sandeep)!

P1030597.jpg

Woohoo! Hot pastrami and reuban pastrami sammiches! Ben can't resist ordering both.

P1030598.jpg

Couldn't help browsing the buffet afterwards and returning with some mac and cheese.

Edited by kylenyc

enjoying your recent installment of your cruise! I happen to love the deli! Bagel and cream cheese with smoked salmon my fave. But love the reuben also. I will stay tuned for more of your review:)

enjoying your recent installment of your cruise! I happen to love the deli! Bagel and cream cheese with smoked salmon my fave. But love the reuben also. I will stay tuned for more of your review:)

Thank you! You mean they serve more than pastrami? LOL. Bagel and lox...Yum! Unfortunately, I couldn't stop eating the hot pastrami every time I went... hot and moist not dry... Yummmm! I don't have a good deli near me but do have a decent a bagel shop. :p

Edited by kylenyc

Have never been to a steak house on ANY of our CCL cruises and every time I see pictures of the food from there in reviews I drool. Oh, well, hopefully there will be a "next time." ;) Did not realize Splendor had PT cabins.

Have never been to a steak house on ANY of our CCL cruises and every time I see pictures of the food from there in reviews I drool. Oh, well, hopefully there will be a "next time." ;) Did not realize Splendor had PT cabins.

Hi Karen! Well having been to the steakhouse and the deli, I can say definitively that going there doesn't cure post-cruise deli steakhouse drooling. :p Hope you make it there next time!

Edited by kylenyc

Hi Karen! Well having been to the steakhouse and the deli, I can say definitively that going there doesn't cure post-cruise deli steakhouse drooling. :p Hope you make it there next time!

First time in forever I haven't had another cruise already booked when I got off a ship. :( I have been VERY SPOILED, but maybe things will change soon. Waiting for CCL to put another ship in Manhattan. We live 20 minutes from the port so we sail exclusively from there and bummed they will not have a ship there for a while. :mad:Surely will miss the turkey wraps at the deli and the mac and cheese from the rotisserie! And I LOVE the potato salad from the Grill too! :p (and just about everything else lol)