How long to Disembark from Azura

nelderwoman

Hi

I'm sure this has been asked before but just before I book flights, could you please advise me if Azura docks at 06.30 on a Tuesday morning, would we make a 9.00am flight from Southampton airport.

How early can you disembark and will there be taxis available or should we book one

What about the road works in Southampton, are they still going in

Many thanks

Although it docks at 6 am they need to get off all the luggage. The earliest I have seen self disembarkation is 7:30 ish and you need to take all your luggage off with you yourself. If you don't want to do that you can register for early disembarkation at approx 08:30 am.

There will be taxis waiting to you outside the port but you will be very tight on getting a flight at 09:00.

You can self disembark as soon as the ship is tied up and the gangways are in place. Using this system, you have to carry ALL your luggage off at the same time. This is normally available from around 0715. Taxis are available at the terminal. There is no need to book one. At that time of day it could take 30mins to get to the airport so it would be too close to catch a 9am flight.

Brian

I'm not sure how all the roadworks are affecting the traffic around the port now. When we arrived a few months ago it took us over an hour just to get out of the dock gate. The journey to the airport may well be slow because of morning traffic too. I would never book at flight for as early at 9am after leaving a ship - I live about 8 miles from the airport - I don't think it will be worth the stress of worrying that you won't make it.

We self-disembarked from Azura last Sunday. The ship was berthed before 6:30. The first self-disembarkers were off by just after 7 o'clock - I saw them walking up the sky bridge from our balcony - and we were off just a few minutes later. We were in our car and driving out of dock gate 5 by 7:30.

All that said, there are risks. The ship got in earlier than scheduled, there were no problems attaching the sky bridge, and self-disembarkation started a bit earlier than scheduled as well. When we walked out of the baggage hall (you walk through it even if you self-disembark) there didn't seem to be any taxis waiting; instead there was a short queue of people.

It would probably work, but it could also all go pear-shaped.

We self-disembarked from Azura last Sunday. The ship was berthed before 6:30. The first self-disembarkers were off by just after 7 o'clock - I saw them walking up the sky bridge from our balcony - and we were off just a few minutes later. We were in our car and driving out of dock gate 5 by 7:30.

All that said, there are risks. The ship got in earlier than scheduled, there were no problems attaching the sky bridge, and self-disembarkation started a bit earlier than scheduled as well. When we walked out of the baggage hall (you walk through it even if you self-disembark) there didn't seem to be any taxis waiting; instead there was a short queue of people.

It would probably work, but it could also all go pear-shaped.

Always the danger of getting stopped by Customs as well. Far too tight a timescale I think.

We missed a train from Southampton because of a late return and delays disembarking (not with P&O) in December 2011. We missed the train by about 5 minutes, and then had to buy fresh tickets to Sheffield. £175 or thereabouts.

(I blogged about it here.)